Retrieving Deer Question

DirtTime

You are talking about 2 entirely different things...

When a person says no to a ECO retrieving what they have been told was a legally shot deer...and he knocks on your door and asks to retrieve that deer...you say no, and he can't come up with some cockamaimie excuse or accuse you of the possible utilization of  an untagged deer on your land. Try as you may, saying they can and all us land owners don't know what we'er talking about..does not make it so.

• Like 1

This is absolutely correct. DEC ECO has the same powers as State Troopers and require much less, if any, reason to search your property. If you land owners think that by saying "no" to an ECO is the end all answer, think you may be in for a surprise. Most ECO I've encountered are extremely polite and won't exercise those powers, but that's not to say they won't.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

well two friends of mine both shot deer that died within the property lines of posted property (both visible from their property I might add). Owner would NOT allow retrieval. DEC was called and they did talk to the owner. The owner still denied access and that was the end of the story. two different ECO's at two different times, in different areas, tried and walked away. so what ever you believe the law allows, what is practiced in reality is different.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

I had it happen to me, first buck I ever shot. I shot it on state land, my shot was double lung, but the deer ended up dying on posted property. I went and talked to the land owner, and was denied. Contacted the DEC, they sent an officer, he spoke to the land owner, and was denied. The officer could not remove the deer without the guys property.

That landowner denied a new hunter their first buck. I hope he felt good about himself. While I understand that those of you that deny access have the right to do so, IMO, its a pretty selfish thing to do. Unless its someone we were constantly having issues with, we never deny access to retrieve a deer. Usually we will help them out.

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/58846.html

DEC has their limits too.

Moog, skimming through that link, it would seem it's targeted audience is more of DEC program staff than it is for ECO State Police.

But back to the topic, those that ask for retrieval permission are generally honest and law abiding folks, and I would too would allow them retrieval. It's the ones that do it without asking that you should worry about.

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

Not sure about state police, but that policy appears to apply to DEC officers.  Follow the link back to the beginning at the top.  It discusses staff authority etc., including poaching etc.  AND the 4th Amend concerns are the same.

That said, I spent a whopping 3 minutes looking it up.

• Like 1

well two friends of mine both shot deer that died within the property lines of posted property (both visible from their property I might add). Owner would NOT allow retrieval. DEC was called and they did talk to the owner. The owner still denied access and that was the end of the story. two different ECO's at two different times, in different areas, tried and walked away. so what ever you believe the law allows, what is practiced in reality is different.

the only time something would change is if they believed that there was some type of criminal activity to go along with that dead deer.....for instance, if the guy who shot the deer also observed the landowner drive up with an atv load it up and drive off, that may play out a little different, maybe......but, if the deer is laying there dead for all to see and the landowner says to all involved that it's gonna lay there and rot, then chances are that's what's going to happen.

I was just talking to my g/f about this one again. There is another reason someone might say no. She stated very clearly that if we lived in the country and owned land, she would not let anyone on our property if I wasn't home. She mentioned all the crazies out there killing people. So police or not she would say no. I can see her point on that one.

As for the having to have a tag to posses a deer? That's not always the case. If you hit a deer with your car in June you have the option of keeping the deer after calling the police, no tag needed. At least as far as I k now this is the case. How does the law work if say, in spring you are plowing a field/food plot and a deer runs in front of the tractor? I know, I know, most would shut up and add it to the freezer. But say you aren't like that and you call DEC. Do you get the same option as hitting it with your car? You can keep and you don't need a tag?

I was just talking to my g/f about this one again. There is another reason someone might say no. She stated very clearly that if we lived in the country and owned land, she would not let anyone on our property if I wasn't home. She mentioned all the crazies out there killing people. So police or not she would say no. I can see her point on that one.

As for the having to have a tag to posses a deer? That's not always the case. If you hit a deer with your car in June you have the option of keeping the deer after calling the police, no tag needed. At least as far as I k now this is the case. How does the law work if say, in spring you are plowing a field/food plot and a deer runs in front of the tractor? I know, I know, most would shut up and add it to the freezer. But say you aren't like that and you call DEC. Do you get the same option as hitting it with your car? You can keep and you don't need a tag?

I hit a doe with a haybine and it cut her head off, I didn't want to put her in the cab with me as she was very "messy" I called and they said do what I want with it. Don't know if they just didn't want to come out or what but I strapped her to the haybine and brought her home.
  • Like 1

Last year in November, a couple young guys in an old pick up, hit a buck on the road in front of our place. It rolled under the truck, laid there for a bit, got up and took off behind our house. I became aware of this situation, when a sheriff deputy knocked on the door to ask if he and the young men could look for the deer. Said it had to be in the field or just inside the woods. I told them just let me get dressed and I'll go with you! Found spotty blood in the snow right away and the young guys kept saying he couldn't go far. The deputy turned back at the edge of the woods. We still had little dtops of blood and the track so we kept on it. Ended up tracking him for three hours over the hill on a bitter cold night and he never bedded. They just kept saying he couldn't go far. But he did and we never found him. I planned on hunting that area the next morning before all that happend!

I will grant permission to enter my land for retrieval purposes, but I do want to see the actual blood evidence for myself, so I generally will join in on the search. It is not completely unheard of that some guys will claim to be on the trail of wounded deer just to gain access into the property.

• Like 2

That happens here a lot...nieghbor said yes to one group of these guys and the next thing he knew they dropped off 2 guys by his drive way to do a drive through his woods to their place!  the same guys dang near shot that neighbors neighbor in the process......They came to me and asked to retieve and I said no and told them why...next thing out of his mouth was I've shot an 8 pt and it was dragged off before I could get to it...some hunter you are...lol  I said really

is that the story your going to spin ..I laughed and said I didn't need to steal anyones deer but....how would you have known a deer you shot was dragged off my property...if you weren't trespassing? thanks for the info......he called me a bitch and left.

Edited by growalot

the only time something would change is if they believed that there was some type of criminal activity to go along with that dead deer.....for instance, if the guy who shot the deer also observed the landowner drive up with an atv load it up and drive off, that may play out a little different, maybe

Interesting concept. let's look at this scenario. landowner comes across a fresh blood trial coming into his property in the snow. Follows it and finds a warm but dead deer. illegal to tag it?

#2 is contacted by DEC about the deer because a hunter wounded it. if he denies access would DEC give him a possession tag like for a vehicle struck?

Interesting concept. let's look at this scenario. landowner comes across a fresh blood trial coming into his property in the snow. Follows it and finds a warm but dead deer. illegal to tag it?

#2 is contacted by DEC about the deer because a hunter wounded it. if he denies access would DEC give him a possession tag like for a vehicle struck?

interesting......I have no idea if they have tags to issue for possessing a deer that was shot by one and found by another. I was thinking more of a confrontational situation where you have someone making an accusation of some type of criminal activity that would cause them to enter private property to investigate further......I think someone mentioned that if the landowner said nobody's coming on my land for any reason, then that was that, I was merely saying that if there is more to the story, then that statement is not always correct.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

interesting......I have no idea if they have tags to issue for possessing a deer that was shot by one and found by another. I was thinking more of a confrontational situation where you have someone making an accusation of some type of criminal activity that would cause them to enter private property to investigate further.

some of the posts above seem to allude to it being illegal to place a tag on a "found" deer. It got me thinking, that's why I posted that. I've taken two deer, both that ran into the sides of cars. People didn't even stop. necks were broken and I was handed tags to tag both of them. them from LEO's

some of the posts above seem to allude to it being illegal to place a tag on a "found" deer. It got me thinking, that's why I posted that. I've taken two deer, both that ran into the sides of cars. People didn't even stop. necks were broken and I was handed tags to tag both of them. them from LEO's

I've taken two deer that were not killed by me...first was a nice buck that I found just off the roadway, called DEC and they said take it and we'll send someone to your house when they get a chance, they came and tagged it with pretty much no questions or investigation.......second was a doe I came upon in the middle of the road with broken legs, but still very much alive....I called the local PD and the Officer came and shot it and helped me load it up, I called DEC and I brought it to a check station where he met me and tagged it, once again not much of an investigation. I'm almost 100% certain that the only ones who can issue a tag for a roadkill or something of that nature are ECO's or NYS Troopers.

• Like 1

You definitely need a tag if you intend to keep a road kill deer.

• Like 1