Retrieving Deer Question

DirtTime

I teach the classes. I am in contact with eco much more than you. I have my Dec officer buddy getting the info on it. Go to court any good lawyer can ask. Did you kill the deer? Well it says right here agternkilling a deer or bear not finding one. I knew you would be the first to jump on it. Your mind is made up. If 2 officers said it was that way, they were both wrong. How many times on this site have people said ask one officer get one answer. Ask another you get a different one. When I tech the class, my officers answer is no they cannot tag the deer, as they did not take it. But I guess your officers are right and mine is wrong.

I was already in the conversation, so whats your point? I know that I have had experience with this issue a couple of times, with different officers involved each time (2) over the years, and heard the same answer from 2 other officers just within the last few months. You are the only one I have ever heard say anything to the contrary, so at this point, Ill go with what I have been told by 4 different ENCON officers.

I have an email into Region 8, Ill post it up for you when I get the reply. They dont usually take too long.

• Like 1

And be sure to ask about what it says on page 20. Bottom line you do what you think is right and I will do what I know is right. My point was that immediately after I posted, you were there as usual to tell me I am wrong. You seem to stalk me to do that. In your logic any person could find deer and tsg away. As I said every wife could easily find the deer their husband shot an hour earlier and legally tag it. Same scenario

Even if the landowner isn't allowed to tag a deer someone else shot, how are you going to prove that's what happened? It's a "your word vs his word" situation. The DEC isn't going to perform a forensic analysis of a deer carcass over a couple of hundred dollar fine. Seems like a moot point to me.

And be sure to ask about what it says on page 20. Bottom line you do what you think is right and I will do what I know is right. My point was that immediately after I posted, you were there as usual to tell me I am wrong. You seem to stalk me to do that. In your logic any person could find deer and tsg away. As I said every wife could easily find the deer their husband shot an hour earlier and legally tag it. Same scenario

I dont stalk you, and I dont always say you are wrong, you really should get over yourself with that crap.

Ill post the reply when I get it.

Question: If I shoot a deer and it runs onto posted property, do I have the legal right to go on the property to retrieve it?

Answer:

No. You should locate the landowner, explain the situation, and ask permission. If the landowner refuses, the hunter will not be able to enter the property. The DEC cannot compel a landowner to grant access. If the hunter has reason to believe that the landowner intends to illegally possess the deer, it should be reported to the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer.

Source:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2442.html

• Like 1

You seem to stalk me to do that.

Well know I'm upset...I thought I was the only one that does that... :cheese:

Now on a serious note ;)  Why none of you mentioned it I do not know...

You have a deer...even with a blood trail....and two guys not giving in...you then add an officer to which they (DEC have limited #'s ) being called in on this during....wait for it..... Their busiest time of year...... it's a no brainer...they simply do not have the time nor the man power to go running around to each,,,,,,,, he tagged my deer situation... Having to back track trails and check for how many shots  yadda yadda yadda...Thus the officers maintaining their "field discretion"( which they are give a big leeway) in letting the general word get out and policy be known..... Bubba, please note that word as opposed to law. The deer has a legal tag on it...it's the persons that tagged it...They don't want to deal with the BS period...

Edited by growalot

Well know I'm upset...I thought I was the only one that does that... :cheese:

Now on a serious note ;)  Why none of you mentioned it I do not know...

You have a deer...even with a blood trail....and two guys not giving in...you then add an officer to which they (DEC have limited #'s ) being called in on this during....wait for it..... Their busiest time of year...... it's a no brainer...they simply do not have the time nor the man power to go running around to each,,,,,,,, he tagged my deer situation... Having to back track trails and check for how many shots  yadda yadda yadda...Thus the officers maintaining their "field discretion"( which they are give a big leeway) on in letting the general word get out and policy be known..... Bubba, please note that word as opposed to law. The deer has a legal tag on it...it's the persons that tagged it...They don't want to deal with the BS period...

I agree 100%, the last thing they want to do is babysit a bunch of grownups.........like I mentioned about the 2 roadkills I picked up, I called the HQ and they said just take it and someone will stop by when they get a chance, took my name and gave me theirs and I went on my way.....it's pretty much the hunters who get boners (sorry) over finding dead deer on the side of the road or in the woods, that enthusiasm isn't usually shared by the ECO....got a crime to report? sure call them and they'll get there...eventually.

• Like 1

Burke, John W (DEC) <[email protected]> Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM

To: "" <>

Mr. Wolfe,

Yes, they can providing they have a valid license to do so.

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:26 PM
To: Burke, John W (DEC)
Subject: FW: Question about tagging deer

Could you please respond?

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:36 AM
To: dec.sm.Region8
Subject: Question about tagging deer

If I shot a deer, and it died on a property that I dont have access to, and the landowner denies me retrieving the deer, can that landowner legally tag the deer as theirs and keep it?

Thanks,

John Wolfe

I found it hard to believe the DEC is going to respond by email and tell you it's legal to tag a deer you didn't shoot.

What happens when you report the Deer kill? Wouldn't you be lying ?

I don't think the DEC cares if you tag a deer you didn't shoot, and I think it happens plenty of times. But that doesn't make it legal. 

Just my opinion

The reason why it's ok is because its unprovable. Guy calls Encon "I shot a buck and it went on the nei print property he said I couldn't go get it now he took it" try proving that one!

The only way to even try to prove that would be to trespass. So you still get a pop.

I found it hard to believe the DEC is going to respond by email and tell you it's legal to tag a deer you didn't shoot.

What happens when you report the Deer kill? Wouldn't you be lying ?

I don't think the DEC cares if you tag a deer you didn't shoot, and I think it happens plenty of times. But that doesn't make it legal. 

Just my opinion

I don't think you would be lying, the tag doesn't ask how YOU killed it, does it?  just when it was taken......