Best archery shop in vicinity of Rochester, NY?

Core

Basically I'm looking for somebody to take the time to make sure my bow is properly setup for me and give pointers on shooting form. Ideally I'd pay for one on one attention for an hour or so on short notice (Saturday afternoon is my only window). This is the kind of thing you get when you buy a bow, and I got that a little, but the problem with doing it at a big box is I don't know how good they really are, and they are shuffling work with other customers anyway.

I've narrowed down to Bullzeye Archery in Bloomfield, Guerin-teed in Marion, NY (this one is closest to me), and Jim's Pro Shop in Shortsville.

There are two other dedicated stores in Rochester I won't name right now, but one didn't have stunning reviews online, and the other one also close to me when I went I didn't get a huge warm and fuzzy.

Maybe a little biased since I've had 2-3 bad experiences with dealing with Todd at Guerin-Teed. Others like his shop! BTW - You won't find him around the shop this time of year as he does guided hunts in the Naples area, the last I knew. The owner of Jim's has a daytime real job, so he's only at the shop evenings & weekends. Haven't been there in a couple year when he was talking about retirement, so things may have changed since then. He's the real bow hunter and the one you'd need to convince to offer you any pointers, NOT the son! Avoid the big box stores at all costs, other than to buy something that you know you want & have researched. Those places are full of wanna-be archers and bad advice!

There is a shop in York, just can't think of his name. I have heard good things about him. There is also a place in Henrietta but have never heard good or bad about them

Traditions. I went in there but although it was empty just got the impression the guy was more interested in doing something else to be honest.

I had heard of the phelps place and their website makes Mike the owner sound pretty good. He isn't there today but they explicitly advertise archery instruction which is what I want so I may go in this week when e is there--they will take an appointment.

• Like 1

Bullseye archery in Bloomfield excellent place can recall the guy's name but I just bought a Hoyt he obviously spend time with me setting up but before I bought spent time with me and my son. He has an awesome indoor range like 10.00 for the day. And a free outdoor range with many 3D targets 10-70 (I think) yards

I am a stickler for good customer service I demand a lot but will gladly pay a little more for it this place is great will never go anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I found one other place--Archery Solutions in Williamson, NY. Also it was exactly on the way to somewhere else I had to be and when I called the guy seemed open to me spending some time there. I went in, and he was; for under $40 he spent a while setting my bow up again getting everything aligned and had it on the press a couple of times. Gave some pointers on form and then his co-worker spent over a half hour with me. I felt it was a good use of money. The shop itself doesn't have a lot of stock, but the service was definitely good!

Not all big box employees are inept, Paul Sinack works in Auburn at Bass Pro and he is as good if not better than most places, As for Heritage in Phelps Mike Price is good, Very good, If my guy who sold his business ever stops working on bows, These 2 guys are the only ones that would ever touch my bow, IMHO

Traditions. I went in there but although it was empty just got the impression the guy was more interested in doing something else to be honest.

I had heard of the phelps place and their website makes Mike the owner sound pretty good. He isn't there today but they explicitly advertise archery instruction which is what I want so I may go in this week when e is there--they will take an appointment .

My youngest son went to Traditions and wasn't too impressed with them .

He bought his new bow at Heritage in Phelps and said the guy / guys there were real helpful and recommended it to a couple of friends .

I stopped at the Williamson shop a couple years ago and thought they were worthless . My son was ready to drop about $1300 on a Bowtech Admiral with accessories and the folks there couldn't be bothered . After an hour of waiting and getting the run around I left .

I miss Phil Race !

As for Bullseye in Bloomfield, one day while waiting for my buddy to pick me up I decided to draw my bow to see how my shoulder felt, while letting it down something strange happened.

I had wrapped my release around the string the night before and it got pulled into the cam could not get it out. So my buddy hopped in his stand and I sat in the truck till Bullseye opened and drove over.

He put it in his press and freed the release. I asked how much? He said give me five bucks. I said the sign says minimum charge ten. He said your having a bad enough day !

• Like 1

I miss Phil Race !

As for Bullseye in Bloomfield, one day while waiting for my buddy to pick me up I decided to draw my bow to see how my shoulder felt, while letting it down something strange happened.

I had wrapped my release around the string the night before and it got pulled into the cam could not get it out. So my buddy hopped in his stand and I sat in the truck till Bullseye opened and drove over.

He put it in his press and freed the release. I asked how much? He said give me five bucks. I said the sign says minimum charge ten. He said your having a bad enough day !

I second this!!  I miss Phil Race!!  He had a great shop in Hilton ( Indian Mountain Archery) and was one of the best bow tuners I have ever met.  Anyone know what happened to him?

I bought a new Elite bow at Traditions several years ago and they sold my Parker on commission. The bow took over a month longer than they promised (my wife bought it for my August 19th birthday, so this took me awfully close to season, and without my Parker I wasn't shooting at all). Maybe not their fault, but they should have been more forthright. I had my release stolen off of their front counter while I was picking up my bow. They acknowledged this, but didn't offer me a nickle on the new release that I now needed to buy. And every time I called to find out if the Parker sold, I was told no, until I actually showed up at the shop to reclaim it and it wasn't there. I told them that I didn't care whether they thought they'd sold it or not, I just wanted my money. Which they gave to me.

This was probably five years ago now. I know that the owner's wife was very pregnant and the store relatively new, so there was probably lots of pressure on them. But my experience there was horrible. The worst was how my concerns were dismissed, as if having made the bow sale they were done with me. I've never been back. I don't generally badmouth small business owners, and this is the first and probably last time I'll tell this tale, but I'm getting old enough to realize that while good service needs to be rewarded, poor service should have consequences as well.

If things have changed and there are others on here that want to leap to the shop's defense, please do. I'm not pronouncing judgement, just sharing my personal experience.

• Like 1

Bullseye archery in Bloomfield excellent place can recall the guy's name but I just bought a Hoyt he obviously spend time with me setting up but before I bought spent time with me and my son. He has an awesome indoor range like 10.00 for the day. And a free outdoor range with many 3D targets 10-70 (I think) yards

I am a stickler for good customer service I demand a lot but will gladly pay a little more for it this place is great will never go anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably delt with Rich. Hes a great guy and knows what hes doing. I wont go anywhere else.

Once you find a good shop hold on like grim death! They are few and far between

yup, and be sure to give them other business, don't just stop in when you need work done on stuff you bought somewhere else.........I've never felt comfortable doing that, I'll buy from the local shop even if it costs more...I've had plenty of small things done for free because I buy other stuff from them.

• Like 1

Might stop into Heritage this week. Seems to be getting rave reviews from everyone. I know Mike isn't always in there (wasn't on Saturday), but is this week.

Still having some issues with my peep sight twisting and being a general pain in the butt!