Is it baiting or is it attracting?

Anatom12910

Apple cider in a spray bottle is very effective at attracting, baiting according to dec is putting something out to make a deer feed . putting it on the ground I would say is baiting cause they could eat the grass or leaves it's on.

But spraying in the air leaves nothing to feed on just the scent to bring them to an area.

• Like 1

There will soon be a shortage of spray bottles, apple juice and cider across the state. Better get yours now.

I suppose if it's legal it could work. Better idea would be to mash up some apples, liquefy them and make a soap. No law saying what YOU can smell like hunting. Perhaps you want to smell all sweet and purty for the deer. I guess the downside to that is a bear might think you are an apple as well.

• Like 1

Are the trees already there or no trees?

Assume there are no apple trees.

Feeding deer, apart from the purposes of DEC monitored research, is illegal.

I know you can legally cut down trees to feed them.

You can plant a plot. You can plant apples all over the place. But, moving apples a quarter mile is a crime, even if no one is hunting there.

I have so many apple trees all over I doubt anything like that would even phase them ;)

I agree. I'd only use it if I was trying to stop them in a certain spot. I have taken 2 deer just because I pee on this one spot on a run where I have a perfect shot. They stop because they're curious, then whack

!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Assume there are no apple trees.

I know you can legally cut down trees to feed them.

You can plant a plot. You can plant apples all over the place. But, moving apples a quarter mile is a crime, even if no one is hunting there.

You can plant corn, leave it all year, or bush hog it down, as long as you dont pile it up in in that field. You can plant apples, and let them fall, but dont pile them up.

• Like 2

No. You are thinking of the bear hunting regs.

that's pretty much what I thought too....just didn't feel like digging it up. I think if you pour anything on the ground that causes deer to feed on it, I think they even eat the dirt in spots where people pour that mineral crap.....then you may have a problem.

• Like 1

I think they even eat the dirt in spots where people pour that mineral crap.....then you may have a problem.

Yes they do I have seen them do it while in another persons stand that they were letting me use.It had Deer Kane there before hunting season.

One time while eating my PJ sandwitch and drinking some hot apple cider from a thermos , I had a 6 pointer run right to me, the wind was blowing to the direction it came from.

There will soon be a shortage of spray bottles, apple juice and cider across the state. Better get yours now.

I suppose if it's legal it could work. Better idea would be to mash up some apples, liquefy them and make a soap. No law saying what YOU can smell like hunting. Perhaps you want to smell all sweet and purty for the deer. I guess the downside to that is a bear might think you are an apple as well.

I've used apple scented shampoo for years, I don't care what you do to eliminate scent your pody puts out pheromones and heat all the time most thru your head so why not.smell like hot juicy green apples! A couple.of guys at camp.saw.my bottle 1 x and now they do the same... Edited by G-Man

Luring, baiting, it's all the same. I don't see the real point in differentiating the two. I can spray doe pee on a tree and that's ok. But if I put some mineral lick or corn on the ground that's bad. I don't see a difference. If DEC wants to decrease the deer population in specific areas, open those areas to baiting. With declining hunter numbers I see no harm. Heck, I bet that a lot of people do it anyways and keep their mouth shut. Just sayin'...

Georgia legalized baiting in the southern part of the state on private land. I don't think much has changed since.

Edited by pitweiler