Powder Storage

I keep the reloading bench in the basement in a locked room.  The powder remains in it's original container locked in an old large wooden crate.  All of my ammo is locked in another large metal container.  There is no danger unless the whole house catches on fire.

I have one of the 100 dollar gun safes from walmart.  I store powder in there.  The thing to remember is that smokeless powder burns and is not as mmuch of a hazard as black powder which explodes.  That being said, it still will make a house go up fast. 

Smokeless powder used for reloading is flammable, but not explosive... There are probably other materials in your home, such as various flammable liquids, that are a greater or at least an equal hazard....Some may be under your kitchen sink..

I keep mine on a shelf in my gunroom, at normal room temperatures..

As an aside... About years ago I had the misfortune of a having a house fire..The firemen asked me if I had anything flammable in the house, and I told them I had 15-20 pounds of smokeless powder, a couple pounds of black powder, and several thousand rounds of loaded ammo in my gun room..The only thing they seemed concerned about was the black powder.. Fortunately the fire was contained before it  reached my gun room...

I stored mine with the rest of the reloading goods,down in my basement (finished). I run a dehumidifier in the summer. Kept the powder on my desk in the corner. I live next door to most of the firemen here and they were all told what I have,how much,and where it is located. I also kept alot of loaded rounds in the same room. If there was ever a fire,they have this knowledge and can procede from there. I would'nt want them entering my house not knowing.