Is my setup heavy enough for a Bison?

Skillet

A friend of mine owns a hunting preserve in PA, with a small herd of bison on it. Usually, he sells a hunt every year where the hunter gets the head & hide, but he keeps the meat. Nobody bought one this year, so he offered it to me. I'm going to shoot it this Friday. I know it's not a hunt like it would be out west, but I've always wanted to shoot one with my bow, so I'm going for it. Both times I've seen them at his place, they're pretty spooky & approaching them is tough. I'd be lucky to get a 20yd shot. I don't know a lot about arrow weight, kinetic energy, etc, so I'm not sure if my setup is enough. I'm shooting an Easton Carbon Raider 400, tipped with a Thunderhead 100gr 3 blade, @ 58lbs. Any idea if this is a heavy enough setup to cleanly kill a 1400lb Bison? This is meat he's putting in his own freezer, & he's doing me a big favor letting me shoot it. I don't want to botch it. Not looking for anyone's opinion on high fence, I just want some input on my equipment. If it's not enough, I will use my crossbow, but I'd really like to use my regular bow. Thanks.

Edited by Skillet

without the speed and arrow weight I couldn't know for sure but sure does sound light to me. Pick your shot wisely. You only have to get to the heart but just do get the broad head TO the heart is probably like shooting through 1 1/2 whitetails. A bison's chest has to be 3' across. and the ribs are much heavier than a deer's.

I agree, shot placement will be key. Even the ribs on an animal that big will be thick. But your set up should be fine if you can keep the shot at 20 or 25 yards. The native americans killed them with much less!

....with multiple heavy arrows while chasing them on horse back.  don't think that's an option for him.

• Like 2

your arrow weights approx. 279 grains @ 30" with a 100 grain head your at 379 grains, you need to go get some new arrows and be around 500 grains minimum for shooting an animal that large, FPS has nothing to do with the penetration and KE you will get out of a heavy arrow.  At your current setup your arrow will likely bounce off a bison.  Go on Archery talk and do some research regarding arrow weight and big game animals.

28" draw. Martin Bone Hunter (package bow from Dick's)

draw isn't too short.  I'd still think you need at least 600gr finished weight arrow with better head with less angle/longer profile.  solid blades maybe for less drag once in the animal.  it'd have to be close (20 yards) and most importantly perfectly broadsided.  quartering will kill your penetration as you now have multiple thick and heavy ribs to get through first versus the arrow slipping in between them.

if you can pull more weight I would and then go heavier than 600gr.  same shot angle still applies.

I believe he was being facetious in asking what the 'v' was. Kinetic energy will increase faster by increasing the velocity ( being that velocity is squared)versus the weight. Although kinetic energy and momentum are two different things. Do I think he could kill a buffalo with his setup? Yes, absolutely... With the right shot/distance. Wouldn't be an ideal setup but doable.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Im Not an expert on bison and or arrow weight, but i don't think i would try an archery harvest on a 1400lb animal with what your setup is, for an ethical clean kill.. unless maybe you can quick pick up and dial in a much heavier shaft and broad head plus more draw weight to be safe..  

• Like 3

Sounds like you have your heart set on killing it with an arrow(s), but if it were me I would use a rifle. I shot one in my life, took two shots in the lungs with a 300 Win Mag to knock it over.

I could use the Hawken, but yeah I had my heart set on the bow.

Took the suggestion & went to the Archerytalk website. I'm gathering that this is a serious animal to be bowhunting. Definitely thinking crossbow. Not worth wounding it just because I wanted to bowhunt it.

Edited by Skillet

I could use the Hawken, but yeah I had my heart set on the bow.

Took the suggestion & went to the Archerytalk website. I'm gathering that this is a serious animal to be bowhunting. Definitely thinking crossbow. Not worth wounding it just because I wanted to bowhunt it.

Hawken on a bison would be really cool in my book.

I wouldnt chance it with my deer archery setup.

• Like 2