What age to hunt alone?

Izayah12

I am not sure for NY but here in Vermont there is no age restriction that I have read in the law book. If you have passed hunter education, and hold a valid hunting license for Vermont, you can go hunting alone. Then it becomes more a question of maturity and safe weapon handling than age in my opinion.

This is what my research turned up:

N.Y. Environ. Cons. Law §11-0929

Minors under 12 may not obtain a hunting license or hunt wildlife. Prohibits a licensee between the ages of 12 and 14 from hunting with a gun or longbow unless accompanied by a licensed individual 21 or older. Licensees between the ages of 14 and 16 may not hunt wildlife with a gun or longbow unless accompanied by an individual 18 or older.

FYI-Vermont non resident deer tag which allows 1(one) antlered buck in November and 1(one) late season black bear costs $100 and can be researched and purchased at www.vtfishandwildlife.com

My Enviromental Conservation law 11-0929. States that licensees between 14 and 16 May not hunt wildlife with a Gun or long bow unless accompanied by an individual 18 or older.

This was taken from the website - www.ncsl.org minimum hunting age status( all states).

So by this status you wouldn't be allowed to hunt wildlife by yourself until you are 17. However, you can hunt wildlife with a Gun if your accompanied by someone 18 or older. Note it doesn't state accompanied by a licensed hunter.

The operative word is accompanied. Basically, I would suggest that you share a ground blind with another hunter ( each responsible for 180 degree of blind) Hopefully your choice of an adult hunter would get more joy out of witnessing you take your first deer, than taking one himself. If your unable to get an adult hunter( experienced) a non hunting adult would satisfy the states requirement, However there is more to hunting than placing an ethical kill shot on a deer. In fact pulling the trigger probably will be the start of your hunting experience. Be nice if your person that accompanies you knows how to field dress your deer. At least can guide you for your initial journey.

Things to take Into consideration of your two person hunting group. Make sure one of you have a map of the area, compass,gps, and ability to read both.

My dad had me start with a single shot shotgun as I did my two boys. Makes you really concentrate on placing an ethical kill shot on the deer,

Because the second shot will be delayed minimum of 10-15 seconds. Most probably there won't be a second shot.

Hope my info gives you some help and good luck this season.

My Enviromental Conservation law 11-0929. States that licensees between 14 and 16 May not hunt wildlife with a Gun or long bow unless accompanied by an individual 18 or older.

This was taken from the website - www.ncsl.org minimum hunting age status( all states).

So by this status you wouldn't be allowed to hunt wildlife by yourself until you are 17. However, you can hunt wildlife with a Gun if your accompanied by someone 18 or older. Note it doesn't state accompanied by a licensed hunter.

The operative word is accompanied. Basically, I would suggest that you share a ground blind with another hunter ( each responsible for 180 degree of blind) Hopefully your choice of an adult hunter would get more joy out of witnessing you take your first deer, than taking one himself. If your unable to get an adult hunter( experienced) a non hunting adult would satisfy the states requirement, However there is more to hunting than placing an ethical kill shot on a deer. In fact pulling the trigger probably will be the start of your hunting experience. Be nice if your person that accompanies you knows how to field dress your deer. At least can guide you for your initial journey.

Things to take Into consideration of your two person hunting group. Make sure one of you have a map of the area, compass,gps, and ability to read both.

My dad had me start with a single shot shotgun as I did my two boys. Makes you really concentrate on placing an ethical kill shot on the deer,

Because the second shot will be delayed minimum of 10-15 seconds. Most probably there won't be a second shot.

Hope my info gives you some help and good luck this season.

Thats not what the regulations guide says.

The OP may want to give their local DEC officer a call to clarify.

post-8-0-07258200-1446126567_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I talked about this a few years ago here.... Becuase I couldn't understand why someone would post pics of a 6 or 7 year old in a local paper that was hunting rabbits... But it was legal as per the DEC regs  It was a pic and story out of livonia about a little boy hunting the family farm...

You do not need a hunting license if you are:

• A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when hunting small game on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
  • A Native American living and hunting small game on reservation land.
  • Hunting on a licensed shooting preserve or big game shooting facility..

I know I found out about the age thing...either with a call or found one of those hidden regulations ...but as I recall the whole thing was legal...

I talked about this a few years ago here.... Becuase I couldn't understand why someone would post pics of a 6 or 7 year old in a local paper that was hunting rabbits... But it was legal as per the DEC regs It was a pic and story out of livonia about a little boy hunting the family farm...

I know I found out about the age thing...either with a call or found one of those hidden regulations ...but as I recall the whole thing was legal...

Where did u find this? I happen to have a 7 year old daughter and we fit this perfectly and she is getting a very itchy trigger finger for something other than paper

Wnyhunter thanks locating the applicable DEC ruling about age of hunters that can hunt alone. My interpretation would be the following:

If this is the first time you have ever hunted big game you are required to be accompanied by a parent or guardian for the duration of your initial big game season afield. If unable to have parent or guardian present, a person over 18 may accompany you provided they have written permission from your parent or guardian. In addition, the parent, guardian, or assigned guardians must be in possession of a current big game hunting license.

Now if you have hunted under a junior hunting license it is my belief that you have nullified the hunting big game for the first time requirement.

So a 16 year old, may go afield legally by themselves for big game providing they have hunted big game previously with a junior hunting license.

But as stated that is my interpretation . Verify with call to DEC.

Edited by Jmny