In the market for a semi automatic rifle

Deerthug

I find that the safety, on the compliant jokes, are much harder to engage…much longer reach. Its actually easier for me at least, to operate the safety left handed, rather than right.. Im talking about the AR's with the goofy looking stock. Some compliant models like the Aires rifles have a monte Carlo style stock. They're not as bad….Still goofy looking..

I shoot leftie and have oversized ambi safeties on all my AR's so I have never had this problem.

Saying a mini 14 is a good alternative to a well built AR is absurd! They are not even in the same league.

I would define 'good alternative' in this case as being completely legal off-the shelf, with the ability go bang at a semi-auto pace. I agree it will never be an AR, but I don't consider it an 'absurd' option for someone who's just looking to plink with a centerfire.

I use to have a stag model three. It was a great gun. But I ended up getting rid of it. It was insanely loud with the short barrel and muzzle break. I just put together a new ar for deer hunting this year. It's a stag 7h in 6.8spc. It's awesome. Minimal recoil, accurate and has a longer barrel that is crowned. Rubber grip on the forearm so ur hands don't freeze when hunting. If u plan on hunting deer with it I would highly recommend it. I also have all the evil features. The mag is pinned, and to be honest it's not as bad as you would think.

Penal Law 265.00(22)(a) reads: “ 'Assault weapon' means . . . a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics"

I'm not a licensed attorney so my opinion shouldn't be given any weight, but the "ability to accept" language would make me think twice about the bullet button if it were me.

Therein lies the rub. A detachable mag is just that, detachable, and the argument could certainly be made that a bullet button or a maglock doesn't conflict with the premise that it's still a detachable magazine. Depends on the judge and the prosecutor.

There is currently some language in the law, however, that qualifies that detachablity to mean "without the use of tools". The point of a bullet is a tool to detach the magazine. JMO.

The more we talk about it here, the more the idiots will refine their laws. They don't know what they're talking about, but they do keep an eye on this site.

Ok we've again established that it is a somewhat ugly gun that some feel performs well and we also learned about the Mini 14 which I don't have a clue what it is, but that's just me. And we all know the Fuhrer has screwed us NYers royally without vaseline in doing away with all the fun bells and whistles on an AR-15.

So any other alternatives for a semi i can use at the range and perhaps for yote hunting this winter?

I am already set for deer hunting with my Remy 710 in 30-06 and my son's Savage .270 both of which are as Marisa Tomei once said "Dead on balls accurate".

Thanks,

DT

• Like 2

Therein lies the rub. A detachable mag is just that, detachable, and the argument could certainly be made that a bullet button or a maglock doesn't conflict with the premise that it's still a detachable magazine. Depends on the judge and the prosecutor.

There is currently some language in the law, however, that qualifies that detachablity to mean "without the use of tools". The point of a bullet is a tool to detach the magazine. JMO.

The more we talk about it here, the more the idiots will refine their laws. They don't know what they're talking about, but they do keep an eye on this site.

If memory serves me correctly, there was a guy who was making and selling NY compliant AR's that got in a bit of a jam, the issue was, that although a "maglock" was in place, it was still accessible with tools and therefore not compliant....I believe this was corrected by sealing the lock with an epoxy or some other substance that eliminated that.

Ok we've again established that it is a somewhat ugly gun that some feel performs well and we also learned about the Mini 14 which I don't have a clue what it is, but that's just me. And we all know the Fuhrer has screwed us NYers royally without vaseline in doing away with all the fun bells and whistles on an AR-15.

So any other alternatives for a semi i can use at the range and perhaps for yote hunting this winter?

I am already set for deer hunting with my Remy 710 in 30-06 and my son's Savage .270 both of which are as Marisa Tomei once said "Dead on balls accurate".

Thanks,

DT

I'll stick with my original statement: A Mini 14 is not a bad alternative. It's a big step down from what most any AR platform will offer, but it's legal without mods and it's a lot of fun for about half the money. Spend the other $600 on ammo and put a grin on your face.

Sorry Buckmaster. JMHO. I own and enjoy both. Each has it's place.

You won't be able to get one with a threaded muzzle or a brake in NYS. They're included as condemned options under SAFE.

A nice picatinney rail on top will open up a lot of options for sights and accessories though.

5.56 will give up some accuracy over the .223, but you'll be able to use military surplus ammo if it ever becomes readily available again. I wouldn't count on that.

The 7.62 (.308) version is the 'Mini Thirty'.  Excellent brush gun for deer in dense cover.

It depends on what you want to use it for.

My AR and AK guns are safely locked in my friend's gun vault in Kentucky. My Mini-14 spends a lot of time under the seat of my truck. If I buy another gun before I move it'll probably be a Mini Thirty so that I have something under the seat of my truck during deer season.

• Like 1

That is without a doubt the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Better off getting a mini 14. As a side not does anyone know if this would make a gun NY compliant? https://www.armaglock.com/ if so then you can get a larue tactical ar15. They are the crème de la crème when it comes to accurate high quality ars

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I bought 2 ARs from gun stores in Dutchess and Putnam counties with those on it already. They are selling them so it must be legal. Pistol grip, bayonet lug, adjustable stock, flash suppressor on both of my ARs

thug... most AR guys that look down on the minis have never shot one. mine will cloverleaf 5 shots at 100 yds. with the right rounds. compact and a solid gun. philo... the 30 is a 7.62 x 39 or the new 300 blackout, not a .308.. big difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You're absolutely correct. My apologies.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments from all of you. Much appreciated.

I think I decided on the Mini 30. Did some more research on it and read mostly positive reviews. Campsite in huntington has it for $749 in black synthetic stock with a stainless steel barrel. Im going to take a look at it tomorrow.

closer to a 30/30 but not exactly. to get any acceptable velocity mine needs to shoot a 123 gr bullet. I shoot 170 grains in my 30/30. I load 123 gr. Speer tnt varmint bullets on top of a max load of accuracy powder and it works very well on deer with proper placement. for optics stick with the ruger rings and good glass. I fought 2 different rail systems that shook loose after 1 or 2 mags. mine has been very reliable. I don't recall any ftf and I'm well over a 1000 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so after all the discussion, research and what not, I really wanted the old AR15 and because they are no longer available in NY, I decided on a Marlin 336ss lever action chambered in 30-30. I know, I know its not a semi auto but I shot my BiL older Marlin and love it. The SS version is stainless steel action and barrel. Cant wait to pick it up today.

• Like 4

Ok so after all the discussion, research and what not, I really wanted the old AR15 and because they are no longer available in NY, I decided on a Marlin 336ss lever action chambered in 30-30. I know, I know its not a semi auto but I shot my BiL older Marlin and love it. The SS version is stainless steel action and barrel. Cant wait to pick it up today.

Wow, that's quite a turnaround!  You went from wanting a magazine fed semi-auto to a tube fed lever action.  I'm not a big fan of AR's OR lever actions, but I could see one having way more fun with a magazine fed semi-auto if putting lead down range is ones main objective.

That is without a doubt the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Better off getting a mini 14. As a side not does anyone know if this would make a gun NY compliant? https://www.armaglock.com/ if so then you can get a larue tactical ar15. They are the crème de la crème when it comes to accurate high quality ars

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The mini 14 doesn't compare to the stag arms ar-15 platform.