Hunter's 1st Deer!

Skillet

This is my son's first season of bow hunting. He's been tagging along with me for years. We've been doing a lot of small game hunting, & spent all turkey season trying to get him a bird. He had 2 misses, but he hung in there like a diehard. We've been looking forward to this season. He practiced all summer, and helped me do all the stand work.

It's been a tough season for us. Not many deer at our place this year (Naples, 8N). Not much sign, and not much activity on the cameras.

We had to pass up a little buck during doe - only. The wind switched at the worst possible moment a few times. He got busted moving once.

The last couple of weeks have been especially slow. Only 3 deer seen.

Finally, last night, this guy came in to a stand we have by our pond, with a couple apple trees by it. Hunter handled it awesomely. He made a great 20yd double lung shot. The deer ran 60yds & crashed.

It's a good thing we were strapped to the tree, because we were jumping around like little girls at a Justin Bieber concert.

It was a trying season for me, & sometimes I felt like I was trying to teach a brick wall, but it turns out he WAS listening to me!

If you'd told me a few years ago, that my best season would be spent trying to get someone else a deer, I would have laughed at you.

I could hang it up today, without firing a shot, & this year will never even come close to being matched. You couldn't wipe the stupid grins off our faces all the way home.

Ironically, this was the buck we had to pass up during doe - only.

I feel very blessed to have shared this with him, been given such a nice animal.

He texted me at 10:30 last night, & said "I can still hear that deer walking in the leaves".

That about sums it up! Congratulations, Hunter!

post-1188-0-41389800-1447076568_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-95308600-1447077699_thumb.jp

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 38

"It's a good thing we were strapped to the tree, because we were jumping around like little girls at a Justin Bieber concert."

You had me rolling with this one!!!  And I can picture the grin on your faces!  To cool, and an awesome (PERFECT) shot to boot! 

This is what hunting is all about!  Size should have nothing to do with your enjoyment, if you are happy with your game then you are way ahead of most hunters!!!  Epic hunt, shot and two best friends/father son, it just does not get any better than this! 

Thanks for sharing you just made my day, and I will not even be in the woods!!! 

Congratulations on your first deer Hunter!!!   That is just plain awesome!!!

• Like 1

Excellent job by both of you.  You, teaching and preparing your son (i.e. great parenting) and to your son for practicing, listening, learning, and getting the job done.  Surely a memory you will both have to share for years to come.  I can't wait to make similar memories with my boys, 6 yrs, and 10 mos.  On Halloween morning I had my six year old help me gut my deer.  He just poked around in the blood and stuff and noted how warm it was etc.  Again, good for you and your boy and I wish you and he many more memories and successful hunts to come.

Congratulations on a great shot and beauty of a buck! You will remember this event forever.  I remember the first deer I ever shot after getting out of the service and hunting the first season home.  

My Dad drove a swamp for me and posted me in a spot...I really didn't know what the heck I was doing, just knew that I really liked hunting.

That's forty some years ago, and I can remember it like it was yesterday.  I sure miss hunting with my Dad- enjoy the times that you have together.

God bless,

Jeff