Dirt scent wafers??

teamcowboyup

Waste of $$ most scents are,99 % are waste, learn the land find funnels, hunt down wind of where you expect to see deer, do that and you'll be 1000x more successful. If you spend the time you use trying to be scent free learning and increasing your woodsman ship skills you'll be amazed at what you can do.

• Like 1

Ha-ha-ha ....... We are always looking for that guaranteed fool-proof way to kill a deer. I have often wondered what I would do if someone came up with a scent, sound, or some other gimmick that actually worked every time and simply made the deer come in to be shot ... every time ...... like a lamb led to slaughter. Would I actually use it? I'm pretty sure I would not. Sometimes it is interesting to think about why we are out there. Is it all about proving how well some lab product or manufacturer's ability to invent and market deer-fooling products and substances? When it comes to hunting, that is one situation where I do prefer it to be "all about me" as much as possible. I don't want some "magic potion" ..... lol.

I'm a firm believer that cover scents are bad. they introduce a smell that may seem normal to us, but could still be foreign to a deer. apple, pine, dirt could all be foreign to your hunt and even have an unnatural smell.

no scent is better than anything. That said, I like crossing a crick bed or walking through mud to hike in. to me that's more instant and natural cover scent.

I've always just tried to go no scent, no cover scents. I shower unscented and keep all clothes that are washed unscented in air tight containers. I spray down before walking into woods. I've never had an issue with deer spooking before it's too late. I've had them as close as 5 yards many times and I'm on the ground, no treestands or blinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the big thing is being clean. shower and keep clothes, boots and gear as clean as possible (use scent free soap of course).  I like to kick out an area of dirt, under my stand, before I climb up. I kick until I can smell the dirt. An old time hunter taught me that when I was a kid.  I do use scent killer spray before going in and I spray down my stand when I leave. It has worked for me for years and years. I have also used the dirt wafers and can't say that they don't work. 

• Like 1

I've often wondered if there isn't some risk of a cover scent actually spooking deer. I know these dirt scent wafers aren't just a small cake of dirt in a container, and assume that they are chemical compounds where the artificial dirt smell is enhanced in some test tube fashion. I have no idea what other chemicals with their own un-natural scents may be included and which of those ingredients may actually be foreign and alarming to deer. How does the consumer really know how deer are reacting to some of these chemical concoctions?

• Like 1