Mossberg 835

What does it mean when the barrel is bored out?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The interior of the barrel is larger than a normal 12 gauge which is .73 inch.  This allows for less friction, less pellet deformation and less recoil.

But slugs will expand to the diameter of the bore in a back bored barrel.  Accuracy is bad with slugs and dangerous pressure happens as it tries to exit the choke.

• Like 1

BTW my 835 also has a receiver that is drilled and tapped for scope bases, allowing you to put a scope on the receiver and change barrels without removing the scope from the gun.  This option is not as accurate as a scope mounted on a cantilever mount on the barrel.  But I think it is OK with a red dot sight used for deer, turkey and even waterfowl.

Keep in mind too the 835 is bored out vs the 500 that isn't. The 500 will really pack a kick with 3.5's.

There are plenty of package deals and variations of the 835 so check mossbergs website. I believe not all can shoot a 3.5. Gander and dicks will run sales too.

Please don't spend under $100 on a scope. You'll regret it and end up buying a better scope later.

The last two sentences from Belo above are words to live by when selecting a shotgun scope.  Save your money for another month and buy a scope that you won't have to replace in a year or two.  Don't go cheap on such an important element of your equipment, it will just frustrate you to no end and you'll end up just tossing it in the trash.  I have a $300 Leupold on my 12 gauge and it's worth every penny along with all the grief I got from my wife when I bought it!  Ha, ha...she completely understands, but keeps me honest.

BTW my 835 also has a receiver that is drilled and tapped for scope bases, allowing you to put a scope on the receiver and change barrels without removing the scope from the gun.  This option is not as accurate as a scope mounted on a cantilever mount on the barrel.  But I think it is OK with a red dot sight used for deer, turkey and even waterfowl.

correct, but if you're not going to want that scope on your gun when shoot ducks, or a slug scope when hunting turkey either.

regardless, you should put a few rounds of anything down range before you start any season. Only once have I needed to readjust my red-dot after taking it off during duck season.

Actually a low powered scope can help a turkey hunter, but I was referring to the red dot type of sight when talking about leaving it on.  I've hunted ducks with a non magnified red dot sight and after getting used to it, it works pretty well.

Yesterday in your "heart shot " post Bizarre o worlds avatar was your avatar for awhile. On my phone and computer. Thought I lost my mind....well more than usual that is.

• Like 1

Yesterday in your "heart shot " post Bizarre o worlds avatar was your avatar for awhile. On my phone and computer. Thought I lost my mind....well more than usual that is.

Not surprised.  I've heard of such strange happenings on this site prior.  Gremlins in the works I assume.

LOL!

• Like 1

My Camo Synthetic 835 is a little over 30 years old now.  It's never failed me and taken lots of turkey, geese, ducks and deer with 00 Buck in NJ.

Someone claimed because it's back bored, you can't shoot steel shot.  That's not correct.  I shoot steel all the time in it.  But you do need a slug barrel for slugs.  They make them in smooth bore with iron sights as well as rifled with a cantilever scope mount.  They come in blued steel or camo too.

Check out www.gunbroker.com for 835 barrels.  You can get an idea of prices there too.

attachicon.gif2015Tom 002.JPG

My 835 has the same "old school" camo job but I have the smooth for end , not the "corn cob" grooved one. Think I bought mine in 92 or 93. Besides turkeys I have taken tons of geese, over decoys, with the same  gun and 21" barrel with steel shot. I have a Modified Steel/lead choke for it. Worked fine on geese for years.

• Like 1

Actually a low powered scope can help a turkey hunter, but I was referring to the red dot type of sight when talking about leaving it on.  I've hunted ducks with a non magnified red dot sight and after getting used to it, it works pretty well.

I'd suggest a 1 to 4 on a slug gun... and still doubt the pattern of the slug and the shot would be anywhere close. I see your point on the reflex but that'd take some getting used to.

however, it is also a good excuse to buy 3 guns!

here's mine with my old Mueller reflex and pure gold choke. added the sling and highly recommend the limbsaver recoil pad.

IMG00090-20110520-1739.jpg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

I would have to buy a cantilever mount for the receiver then, right? I believe the 835 I was handling didn't have a mount there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's called cantilever because it is connected to the barrel and hangs over the receiver. That way the scope comes off with the barrel and you don't have to install/uninstall the scope every time you want to switch from your deer season to turkey, etc. Also, mostly eliminating the need to re-sight in the scope every year as well (although you should always shoot a couple slugs before the season to make sure the gun is shooting correctly anyway). If you have the money to buy a cantilevered rifled barrel, IMO it's money wellllll spent.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossberg-Replacement-Shotgun-Barrels/705661.uts

• Like 1

Some 835 barrels are back bored and are not suitable for steel shot or slugs (these are ported barrels got the turkey special) a deadly gun past 50 yards from the factory, you'll need a slug barrel and possibly a bird barrel if you want to shoot waterfoul,

You won't regret buying it, and as stayed earlier a cantilever for slug is way to go, if you are buying it with ported turkey barrel you will want a scope or sight for it as your pattern will be tight, I have not seen a factory gun ( even high quality and priced ?that will out shoot an 835 for turkey.

My Camo Synthetic 835 is a little over 30 years old now.  It's never failed me and taken lots of turkey, geese, ducks and deer with 00 Buck in NJ.

Someone claimed because it's back bored, you can't shoot steel shot.  That's not correct.  I shoot steel all the time in it.  But you do need a slug barrel for slugs.  They make them in smooth bore with iron sights as well as rifled with a cantilever scope mount.  They come in blued steel or camo too.

Check out www.gunbroker.com for 835 barrels.  You can get an idea of prices there too.

attachicon.gif2015Tom 002.JPG

I have an 835 which is close to 20 years old now. Originally i got it as a turkey gun (and it throws one heck of a pattern) Winchester HV rounds work the best in mine with an extra full turkey choke (dont remember the brand). You cant use the turkey choke with steel shot but it shouldnt hurt the barrel as Mr VJP stated. The barrel is protected by the shot cup all the way down the barrel, its just that the steel shot wont compress like the lead when it leaves the barrel and could split your choke.  I switched out to a kicks mod choke and it doubles as a waterfowl killing machine as well.

Ive been thinking about doing the same thing with a cantilivered rifled barrel as well. Now that i live in Indiana i cant use my rifle anymore so i need something to throw slugs with. This year I am using my Winchester Model 12 (sweet 16) but next year i think i am going to be getting a new barrel for the 835.

• Like 2

Having the scope mounted to the barrel on a cantilever mount will mean that you don't have to sight it in every time you take it off.  Far better for a slug gun IMO but that may be the red dot sight that he uses for turkey/ducks.

It's called cantilever because it is connected to the barrel and hangs over the receiver. That way the scope comes off with the barrel and you don't have to install/uninstall the scope every time you want to switch from your deer season to turkey, etc. Also, mostly eliminating the need to re-sight in the scope every year as well (although you should always shoot a couple slugs before the season to make sure the gun is shooting correctly anyway). If you have the money to buy a cantilevered rifled barrel, IMO it's money wellllll spent.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossberg-Replacement-Shotgun-Barrels/705661.uts

correct that is my turkey setup. weaver rail mounted to the receiver. no cantilever on the turkey barrel.

cantilever or not, i would still shoot a few rounds if you changed the barrel. Should shoot a few rounds with any gun anyhow before you go into the woods.

If you're deer hunting only, buy the 835 that comes with the rifled barrel (more accurate better distance barrel for slugs) and then you can always buy the turkey and bird barrels later.

here's a great reference for the combonations

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mossberg-835-Ulti-Mag-Turkey/Deer-Shotgun-Combo&i=613931

mossberg even makes it easy by labeling the combo based off species hunted. and like i said you can add the 3rd barrel later for not much money