Ticks

turkeyfeathers

I contracted Lyme over 20 years ago. Back then not many doctors knew it even existed. My dad found the bullseye rash on my neck and took me to the Dr and actually had to educate much of the hospital staff via his issue of Outdoor Life that had a photo of the rash and a description of the disease. Unfortunately I was not treated properly due to doctor ignorance and I have suffered chronic problems since. It's nothing to mess with. The only thing I can possibly relate it to is having an autoimmune disease, I have okay days and also really bad days. I am only 33 but my joints often feel like I have advanced arthritis and I often feel very weak and tired when I shouldn't.

If you can catch ticks before they attach or shortly after, all the better. Please use an approved removal method to help further prevent infection.

Unfortunately I was not treated properly due to doctor ignorance and I have suffered chronic problems since. It's nothing to mess with. 

I had to tell the Doctor at the emergency room what antibiotic he needed to prescribe me. As you say, nothing to mess with and every hunter should know what the procedure is if they have been bitten.

I had to tell the Doctor at the emergency room what antibiotic he needed to prescribe me. As you say, nothing to mess with and every hunter should know what the procedure is if they have been bitten.

Jeez, you went to the emergency room for a tick bite??  I thought you and VJP were the type that wouldn't need a doctor if you had a bullet lodged in your gut?  I figured you guys would just take a swig of whiskey and cut it out yourselves using your hunting knives.  I guess you guys are wimpier than I figured.  LOL

• Like 1

Papist -

You are lucky compared to a friend in St. Lawrence County. Her doc didn't know what it was so he gave her steroids. It suppressed her immune system. More damage was done due to the misdiagnosis and meds than would have resulted if nothing was done.

Picked 2 off me on the 8th. Normally I hunt a patch of woods that doesn't have many ticks but this time I was hunting near some golden rod and I picked 2 up while walking through them. After a thorough search I didn't have any more ticks on me, but anytime I find a tick attached to me I always take a 10 day dose of antibiotics. Even if they have only been attached for less then a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked 2 off me on the 8th. Normally I hunt a patch of woods that doesn't have many ticks but this time I was hunting near some golden rod and I picked 2 up while walking through them. After a thorough search I didn't have any more ticks on me, but anytime I find a tick attached to me I always take a 10 day dose of antibiotics. Even if they have only been attached for less then a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be on the list for a lover transplant by now. Just pulled 7 offthe dog. None had bitten yet.

• Like 1

Yikes, reminds me why I don't post here often.

Regretful, given that on this forum there can be good information shared and a sense of brotherhood (or sisterhood; whatever).

It's sad because I catch flack from other women because I hunt; I catch flack (and the wrong kind of attention) from guys because I'm a woman. I have few to turn to and talk about hunting without feeling like, well, the odd woman out.

Doubly sad because I am deeply involved in conservation issues with the FWS, and I do public outreach to try to garner support of hunting and sustainable conservation on a regular basis now. Despite often feeling unwelcome by BOTH sides.

Anyhow, it doesn't do much good to post this stuff but I really do hope that everyone is careful about ticks, Lyme disease, and other tick-borne diseases (as there are a few others, and all are nasty).

Best wishes, all.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 3

Yikes, reminds me why I don't post here often.

Regretful, given that on this forum there can be good information shared and a sense of brotherhood (or sisterhood; whatever).

It's sad because I catch flack from other women because I hunt; I catch flack (and the wrong kind of attention) from guys because I'm a woman. I have few to turn to and talk about hunting without feeling like, well, the odd woman out.

Doubly sad because I am deeply involved in conservation issues with the FWS, and I do public outreach to try to garner support of hunting and sustainable conservation on a regular basis now. Despite often feeling unwelcome by BOTH sides.

Anyhow, it doesn't do much good to post this stuff but I really do hope that everyone is careful about ticks, Lyme disease, and other tick-borne diseases (as there are a few others, and all are nasty).

Best wishes, all.

It is unfortunate. I hope they take you seriously.

they still sell that stuff    on long island   cant find it ....????

Campsite in Huntington carries it.

In addition to my clothes, I spray an old sheet and lay it out on the floor of my SUV. I also spray a small towel and put that in a plastic bag that I put my hunting clothes in at the end of the day.

I focus on spraying my scent lock base layer and my knee high baseball socks.

Unfortunately my Dad got Lyme this year.  He is run down and has no energy very untypical for him.  This is very serous stuff.  Protect yourself!  On that note I am going out today and re-spraying all my clothes, boots, bags, back pack, socks etc.  If I can find more, campsite and Dicks in Huntington are out of permethrin.  Home Depot had some in the gardening department, they are my next stop then Walmart if they are out.