Clicking Buck

sampotter

I've heard these buck vocalization once while hunting. At the time I was sure it was another hunter that didn't know how to use their grunt call properly. The buck makes the sound in the last 3rd of the video (turn up volume).

Edited by sampotter
  • Like 1

That's interesting. I've never heard that sound before. Except in the movie signs. My bone collector grunt tube doesn't even sound remotely close to that. On a side note Today i heard what I considered to be a snort wheeze for the first time. I was able imitate it with my grunt tube it has the snort wheeze on it. And the sound this buck made reminds me of an air compressor when you pull the let off valve on the tank for a split second. Not what I was expecting

I have heard it several times.  Usually when they are following behind a doe.  I remember the first time I heard it during gun season a group of does come charging by me and after the racket they made settled down I could hear this odd click sound.   Some call it a rage grunt.

Actual "tending grunts" are just soft grunts they make while following the doe. I've read that bucks "click" when they are often following the trail of a doe that isn't quite ready to breed. What's interesting about this particular sequence is the buck was 6.5 hours behind the doe, so not exactly on her tail.

• Like 1

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/

Scroll down on the page and you can hear audio of all the vocal sounds deer make.  Click on rage'n grunts to hear the same sound more clearly that is in the video.

Same combination, but that guy's grunt tube isn't nearly deep enough... There's a lot of confusion out there in the industry too because every biologist, TV Hero, and call maker wants to put there own label on a certain vocalization. For example- there's the "buck roar", which is the same sound as the "buck bellow", and also can be called the "frustration grunt". Clicking is usually broken out as a separate vocalization, although the time I heard it while hunting along with in this video it was always accompanied by the super deep, guttural grunt(s) at the end. 

• Like 1

Years ago I was walking through our woods when a buck came trotting across my back trial...I got behind a tree and listened...I heard him coming making that clicking sound...I use it often during the rut.....you have to do rapid light puffs of air to sound right it kinda wears ya out...it reminded me of those clickers used on New Years Eve but muffled....

Back in 1997 I had a TV show that had a segment about deer vocalizations... That show was the first ever to air a buck up close and personal doing both that clicking and the snort wheeze... the buck was actually drooling while doing the clicking vocalization. Both vocalizations were filmed for the first time ever by a friend of mine, David Oathout, the creator of the "True Talker" grunt call now owned by Hunter Specialties.

I have hours of footage that show deer doing every vocalization under the sun... some that hunters probably have never heard. The clicking, like the snort wheeze, is a sign of aggression by an annoyed buck... usually due to the presence of another unwanted buck.

I had phone calls from all over the US by game call producers asking about those vocalizations... it was a few years later that the idea of using the snort wheeze caught on with hunters as a viable vocalization for calling in a buck. I might be one of the few that actually use and have killed a buck using the clicking which can be easily done with most calls.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1