Biz-R-OWorld 2015 NY Deer Season

BizCT

Here we go, another year! I am a few days behind, so I'll catch up quick. As always I will include my Dad's updates as well since he hunts way more than me.

Saturday, 11/7/15: Opening Day of the Xbow season. As usual, my Dad and I hunted the private 8 acres we have access to in Carmel (3N). Unless otherwise noted, that is where these hunts take place. We both hunted dark till dark. Neither of us saw anything besides squirrels, chipmunks, and birds.

Sunday, 11/8/15: I didn't hunt the morning, but my Dad did and saw 0 deer and 4 turkeys. He ran into the neighbor at 1030am who hunts a few hundred yards away from us and he saw 7 deer, no chasing. 4 does, a spike, a 4pt and an 8pt. All those 3 bucks I'm sure are the ones I have pics of for the last few months. Good to know they still alive.

Around 11:45am the 4pt walked by Dad at 45 yards but he passed. 40yds or under and he would have pulled the trigger on the xbow.

I came and hunted my spot from 130pm – dark and saw 0 deer and 3 turkeys. My Dad saw 0 deer and 4 turkeys in the afternoon from his spot.

Monday, 11/9/15: No hunting by either of us. While I was at work, my Dad didn't hunt because he was at his attorney's office for a few hours signing the contract to purchase land and giving the check. Hopefully the closing is early next week and we have it for the gun season! I'm pumped to say the least.

Tuesday, 11/10/15: No hunting by either of us. I was at work, and my Dad stayed in due to the rain.

Wednesday, 11/11/15: While I was at work, my Dad stayed home in the morning due to rain but headed out for 1pm – dark. He just texted me at 4:25pm saying that he saw 1 doe and 5 turkeys. Also, he missed the 3 pointer at 30 yards at 3:55pm! He said for me to call him tonight. So tonight I'll find out the full details.

Got the full story on my Dads miss today. He was sitting on ground watching a valley below and had to piss around 340, so he got up and walked up the hill about 10-15 yards and took a piss. When he finished he noticed a doe 30yards away. She slowly walked away and out of sight. My dad then waited about 10-15min and didn't see any other deer so he blew the doe bleat call which works well in our area of deer are nearby. Sure enough within 5min a 3 pointer came walking in smelling the ground. The buck was milling around at 65 yards. My dad realized he wasn't coming any closer so he decide to put a stalk on since the wet leaves made it nice and quiet. He got to 32yds (rangefinder) when the buck spotted him and froze broadside. Only the bucks front half was viewable while his back half was behind a tree. Vitals were open so my dad took the shot and as he shot the buck turned back towards his backside and the bolt went right under his brisket. The buck trotted to about 70yds away and then just slowly walked away. My dad found the arrow with lumenok in a stump. He pulled it out and confirmed it had nothing on it. Clean miss.

By the way, my Dad sat in my spot today so this would have been my chance, but I was at work. Nothin I can do from the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Wednesday 11/18: while I was at work, my dad hunted dark to dark and saw a nice 8pt at 11:10am walking by at 80yds. He tried bleat and grunt to no avail. Couldn't get the buck inside 80yds and no chance at stalking as the buck kept moving. My dad will stay out of our spot the next 2 days, so hopefully one of us gets a crack at this guy with the shotgun Saturday.

Thursday 11/19 and Friday 11/20: no hunting by either of us. We will be out tomorrow for opening day of shotgun season. Unfortunately, my Dad still hasn't closed on the property he is buying hoping next week......

tomorrow those distances won't matter. good luck hunting and on the property closing.

Yup, thx! Makes things unique this year. I haven't decided what type of buck it would take for me to shoot opening day and then not have that buck tag for new property. Probably a 6 or better.

Some issues with the title because a survey was not done to prove the exact acreage, so although both parties signed the contract. My parents will most likely force the seller to pay for a survey. Might not close on the land this hunting season after all. But that's ok, because making sure everything is legit is more important (of course).

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Well that makes the decision on the size of the buck to shoot tomorrow a lot easier..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yea, still probably 6+ unless something smaller is unique. Passed up smaller bucks the last 2 years in a row after shooting a 4pt. opening day of 2012.

Saturday 11/21:

Opening day of shotgun. Didn't see many flashlight. Neither me or my Dad saw any deer. Both of us hunted dark to dark.

At 715am a red fox was literally 2 feet away from me. It ran away once I looked at it, it got surprised. I never heard it come to me. I couldn't get a shot because it kept running. Talk about making your heart race, I looked one way and then back the other and it was right there next to me. At least I know my scent control and movement is on point.

• Like 1

Sunday 11/22: I hunted dark - 9am. My dad hunted dark to dark. Neither of us saw deer. At 715am my dad had 2 collared dogs barking at him from 50yards away. After 15min of this he moved spots, but the dogs stayed in the woods barking for over an hour. Such a shame. This spot where we hunt has been great since 1993. A few years back some guy moved in next door the person who's house we hunt behind. This guy keeps 3 large dogs outside 24/7. We no longer can sneak in quietly as they go nuts every time we walk by. The last few years have progressively gotten worse and worse.

My dad might head to the Catskills tomorrow for a 1 day hunt.

Monday 11/23: while I was at work my Dad hunted dark - 11am and saw no deer. He is resting up this afternoon and leaving at 2am tomorrow to head to margaretville state land. He hasn't been up there in decades but knows how to get to his spot from doing the walk all the time in the 70s and 80s.

Monday 11/23: while I was at work my Dad hunted dark - 11am and saw no deer. He is resting up this afternoon and leaving at 2am tomorrow to head to margaretville state land. He hasn't been up there in decades but knows how to get to his spot from doing the walk all the time in the 70s and 80s.

do you care to specify which state lands? we were just up there this past weekend.................if he hasn't been up there in years, he will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of pubic access land that has opened. He'll probably also be surprised by the lack of hunter's compared to the 70's and 80's.

Edited by jjb4900

do you care to specify which state lands? we were just up there this past weekend.................if he hasn't been up there in years, he will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of pubic access land that has opened. He'll probably also be surprised by the lack of hunter's compared to the 70's and 80's.

I'm honestly not sure. I'll ask him. I know in the 60s - 80s he hunted public land in margaretville and arkville and he's going to margaretville tomorrow.

Just talked to him. He's going to arkville/harden urge area. He said its 3A, Ulster County. He got an 8pt and 5pt out of there in the 1980s. He had seen bear too but not when they were in same season as deer like they are now.

Not sure if the property has an actual name? He just said its thousands of acres and his spot is about a 45min uphill.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Just talked to him. He's going to arkville/harden urge area. He said its 3A, Ulster County. He got an 8pt and 5pt out of there in the 1980s. He had seen bear too but not when they were in same season as deer like they are now.

Not sure if the property has an actual name? He just said its thousands of acres and his spot is about a 45min uphill.

ok, we hunt 4W & 4R....just the other side of 3A. There is a decent bear population theses days, although I think 3A is tough deer hunting these days, antler restrictions for a few years and no dmp's....haven't been there in years, we used to hunt around Little Pond Campsite and the Big Pond area, not sure if the deer herd has bounced back since the new rules.

ok, we hunt 4W & 4R....just the other side of 3A. There is a decent bear population theses days, although I think 3A is tough deer hunting these days, antler restrictions for a few years and no dmp's....haven't been there in years, we used to hunt around Little Pond Campsite and the Big Pond area, not sure if the deer herd has bounced back since the new rules.

Nice.

Based on the directions he told me I think it's some place state land forest area called Balsam?

Nice.

Based on the directions he told me I think it's some place state land forest area called Balsam?

yup...that's one of the State Forest's....think it even has a portion in Region 4, but never hunted that particular piece, and huge it is.

• Like 1