Biz-R-OWorld 2015 NY Deer Season

BizCT

Tuesday, 11/24:

While I was at work, my Dad decided to head up to the catskills where he used to hunt in the 1960's - 1980's in 3A, Sullivan County at Balsam (sp?). Over 10,000 acres I believe. He left around 2am, saw a nice a 6pt while driving on route 28 and a bobcat as well.

At 12:15pm my Dad texted me that he shot a 7 pointer. He shot the 7pt at 725am with his .243 at 60 yards. pass-through both shoulders on a broadside shot, 30 yard blood trail. He saw the deer at 715am over 100 yards away through some brush so had to wait to make sure there were enough points. It took him a few hours to get it back down the mountain and to the car.

My dad is ecstatic to say the least. Not his biggest buck by any means, but I can tell it means a lot to him to go back in history and get a buck up in the Catskills. I know his spot is over 45minutes walk from where he parks, all uphill. I'm really happy for him knowing how much time he puts in every single year for the last 40-50 years.

Pics to come!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 7

Sounds like a nice Euro mount in your Dad's future to remember the hunt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not quite euro but he does keep part of the skull plate and antlers from every buck he ever shot.

post-871-14483892281941_thumb.jpg

You may wonder why the spike and 6pt are mounted. The spike was his first ever buck. The 6pt was shot in Dec. 6, 1993 which was my brothers 6th birthday. All those 6s made him mount it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Congratulations to your father!  Real great story, to go back to your old stomping grounds and scoring!  TIme to sell that property in Putnam that he just bought, eh?  Just kidding, but in all honesty you got to get away from civilization a bit to have a really enjoyable hunt.  Hunting in these suburban areas like Putnam, Westchester counties, Long Island, etc. just don't have the same feel.  When you have neighborhood dogs barking at you while you are trying to hunt, as you described earlier, it doesn't exactly make for a hunt that you will remember fondly.

• Like 2

Congratulations to your father! Real great story, to go back to your old stomping grounds and scoring! TIme to sell that property in Putnam that he just bought, eh? Just kidding, but in all honesty you got to get away from civilization a bit to have a really enjoyable hunt. Hunting in these suburban areas like Putnam, Westchester counties, Long Island, etc. just don't have the same feel. When you have neighborhood dogs barking at you while you are trying to hunt, as you described earlier, it doesn't exactly make for a hunt that you will remember fondly.

I hear ya. He hasn't bought the property yet. Contracts signed but title won't show exact acreage unless a survey is done. So he requested seller pays for Survey done. If seller doesn't want to pay for survey than the deal is off. Money refunded to my Dad.

did he mention the lack of hunters in the area compared to the old days?

Yea. I finally talked to him over the phone. No hunters parked where he was, none seen in the woods, and none when he came out. He also noticed a local motel had vacancy, which was unheard of the first week gun season years ago. He saw tons of buck rubs on his way out. Who knows what he may have seen if he stayed longer and didn't shoot at 725am. His spot is about 1 and 1/4 miles from where he parks all uphill so maybe that's why there is a ton of deer sign since nobody really goes back that far? I'm not sure.

your dad needs to show you his spot.

It's a long way for me to just for a Saturday. This time of year is busiest for me at work so I can't take days off. I usually hunt Saturday's and then just a few hours in the mornings on Sunday.

Wednesday, 11/25:

I'm at work and my Dad is done till late Xbow season. I'm contemplating hunting a few hours tomorrow morning. I have 1 thanksgiving day buck under my belt already. Tough to get motivated when though when I've been out 6 days and seen just a doe and fawn 1 night.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Wednesday, 11/25:

I'm at work and my Dad is done till late Xbow season. I'm contemplating hunting a few hours tomorrow morning. I have 1 thanksgiving day buck under my belt already. Tough to get motivated when though when I've been out 6 days and seen just a doe and fawn 1 night.

Last time I was in 3S, the buck activity was definitely picking up. Not sure what it's like out there now.

I called in a buck I believe to be over 4.5yo.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Last time I was in 3S, the buck activity was definitely picking up. Not sure what it's like out there now.

I called in a buck I believe to be over 4.5yo.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Nice. I can't shoot one from the house so I may have to get out there. I know my dad will want to come but I might have to make him stay home. Cut the scent and movement in half lol.

Nice. I can't shoot one from the house so I may have to get out there. I know my dad will want to come but I might have to make him stay home. Cut the scent and movement in half lol.

I know you are kidding, but you will definitely cherish the memories of hunting with him more than any deer you may take alone.

• Like 1

I know you are kidding, but you will definitely cherish the memories of hunting with him more than any deer you may take alone.

Haha. Yes I was kidding. Typically if he's tagged out already he sits about 30yards to my right overlooking a valley I can't see into. We have hand signals if he sees something. I can crawl to him then peek over the stonewall for a shot.

• Like 1