Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

In light of my recent debacle, I have a question, scenario, whatever.  So...the rules state that legal hunting hours are between sunrise and sunset, no?  Today I got out of work early and was able to get in the woods by 2pm.  The first thing I did was check the exact time of sunset on accuweather.com.  They have sunset today scheduled to occur at 4:40pm.  I watched the clock as I sat in my stand.  Up until 5:18 I could very easily have clearly identified any animal that walked with in 30 yards of my stand(none did).  So, you guys are telling me that at 4:40pm, your arrow comes off the string and goes back in your quiver, even though you can still see clearly and identify your target and beyond?  That's it, you're done, because accuweather puts the sunset at 4:40.  You are going to pass on a megladon, a #140 buck, because he came into range at 4:53?  If you say that you are, I call BS and think that you are a  liar.  I think that much like politicians, people are going to say this but do that. Me, personally,  I'm taking that shot at 4:53.  It may be wrong in your eyes, I may be wrong for admitting it on a public forum or anywhere else, but I own what I do, right or wrong.  I make my decisions after weighing the potential outcomes and live with the consequences.  That's all.  Flame suit on.   

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Edited for language. Please see forum TOS.
  • Like 11

In light of my recent debacle, I have a question, scenario, whatever.  So...the rules state that legal hunting hours are between sunrise and sunset, no?  Today I got out of work early and was able to get in the woods by 2pm.  The first thing I did was check the exact time of sunset on accuweather.com.  They have sunset today scheduled to occur at 4:40pm.  I watched the clock as I sat in my stand.  Up until 5:18 I could very easily have clearly identified any animal that walked with in 30 yards of my stand(none did).  So, you guys are telling me that at 4:40pm, your arrow comes off the string and goes back in your quiver, even though you can still see clearly and identify your target and beyond?  That's it, you're done, because accuweather puts the sunset at 4:40.  You are going to pass on a megladon, a #140 buck, because he came into range at 4:53?  If you say that you are, I call bullshit and think that you are a F'n liar.  I think that much like politicians, people are going to say this but do that. Me, personally,  I'm taking that shot at 4:53.  It may be wrong in your eyes, I may be wrong for admitting it on a public forum or anywhere else, but I own what I do, right or wrong.  I make my decisions after weighing the potential outcomes and live with the consequences.  That's all.  Flame suit on.   

SSS

I'm not saying I would bc frankly I like to be outta the woods while I can see I don't think it's necessary to walk in or out in pitch black but that's just me....but honestly I don't believe all here can say they don't bend the laws in some way shape or form...from the 5mph leeway most use, maybe parking at a empty meter to run in and grab something quickly, to the stuff in your safe that the safe act has now deemed criminal...also what about some guys who take their kids hunting and let them shoot squirrel or anything alive for that matter....jacking a deer in the dark from your truck is one thing sitting a extra 15 min is another both can't be treated the same way

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 3

What about 15 min late on the last day? Now your not even in season.

For me, it's a personal thing. I want to do it right the way for my personal achievements. Could I bait and and get away with it? For sure, but I wouldn't want to look at those antlers or pictures of the deer I killed over it. Same goes for before/after legal hours. I've caught some big bass the day before the season opens, could I have kept them without getting caught? Of course, but again it would eat me alive.

In 2014 In Wyoming I scouted on 9/30, the day before opening day 10/1. I had my rifle with me incase I came across a coyote. I had this buck 30 yards from me. Could I have killed it and got away with it? Of course, but once again it would eat me alive. No difference between 15 min early on 10/1 or the afternoon of 9/30, both are out of season.

post-871-14472956543201_thumb.jpg

To each their own, but I like to know I did it the legal way. I don't buy the comparison to other non hunting related laws. Just don't see it. If you want to compare it to driving cars, illegal would be using illegal parts I guess in a race. You might get away with it, you might not.

When legal sunset hits, I stand up and unload my gun or take the bolt out of my xbow. I've been hunting 16 years and never had a deer come by while I was unloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

No illegal is going 60 in a 55 just bc most do it doesn't make it legal....and day before and 15 min late are again different examples completly...I will give you credit and anyone else who can deep down actually admit that they don't bend the rules weather at work or anywhere...if your a true straight edge I applaud you....but apples and oranges he saying a clean ethical no issue shot a few min after a weather apps sunset time not day before or day after or from truck or quad...I personally would take nothing from anyone if they said 10 min late I'd say congrats...

• Like 2

So then.. because I can still see a turkey in the daylight at 3 pm in May.. I should be able to kill it.. even thought the law says hunting ends at 12 pm. It isn't about whether you agree with the law or not... it is about doing the right thing and following the law. Anything else is you trying to justify doing what you know to be wrong... whether you own it or not.

• Like 6

Yep...ok....I hope you guys can honestly say that you don't bend any rules period hunting related or not...and again it would be like showing a bird at 1215 with your bow in may...bc obviously a gunshot is no good...but could be the biggest bird you ever seen with a chance to take with your bow....not 3pm different again....I'm out of this tho...but hope you bashers can say without a doubt that you bend no rules period....good luck this season all

Yep...ok....I hope you guys can honestly say that you don't bend any rules period hunting related or not...and again it would be like showing a bird at 1215 with your bow in may...bc obviously a gunshot is no good...but could be the biggest bird you ever seen with a chance to take with your bow....not 3pm different again....I'm out of this tho...but hope you bashers can say without a doubt that you bend no rules period....good luck this season all

Because your a law breaker why assume others on here are?

• Like 6

dont leave now. This is just getting good. You started the uprising , hang out for a bit.

A140" isnt a megladon, that aside the thing I find funny is that your original situation occurred in the morning, under the light, supposedly, of a full moon. So, I guess to add to your hypothetical situation, if the sun goes down and a full moon comes up, and you can still see the 11, er, not 11 pointer, can you just keep on shooting straight through the night? Don't try to justify your illegal actions. The laws are laws. Like it or not. Not guidelines or suggestions. It takes a special person who thinks they're better than the rest and can do what they want.

I'm not going to say that I agree with the OP, But I do have a question or two.  For all the individuals that say the law is the law and that's it, why can't we as tax payers question the laws?  Why is it okay to hunt half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset in Ohio, but illegal across an arbitrary line in western NY?  Why in NY can you hunt waterfowl a half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset, but not deer?  I understand safety, but is it really more or less safe one way or the other?  I don't know the statistics, but are there more accidents in states that allow the half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset?  I really think that it is our duty to question our officials regularly.  I'm not saying to take matters into your own hands and make the rules as you go but what are the steps to change the rules?  Do hunters really have input into regulations?  I've hunted for 25 years and never once been asked for my input on regulations, have you?  Just some thoughts...

• Like 2