Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

I'm not going to say that I agree with the OP, But I do have a question or two.  For all the individuals that say the law is the law and that's it, why can't we as tax payers question the laws?  Why is it okay to hunt half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset in Ohio, but illegal across an arbitrary line in western NY?  Why in NY can you hunt waterfowl a half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset, but not deer?  I understand safety, but is it really more or less safe one way or the other?  I don't know the statistics, but are there more accidents in states that allow the half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset?  I really think that it is our duty to question our officials regularly.  I'm not saying to take matters into your own hands and make the rules as you go but what are the steps to change the rules?  Do hunters really have input into regulations?  I've hunted for 25 years and never once been asked for my input on regulations, have you?  Just some thoughts...

The law is the law! If you choose to break then STFU about it! Don't advertise that this is what you do and you are proud of it. 

Edited by ....rob

I would hate to be out deer hunting during gun season when some dumb ass thinks it light enough out to start shooting . Actually , I have and hope the tree you are in is big enough to protect you . 

Shooting before sunrise or after sunset in NYS is poaching ! 

• Like 2

What? We just make up the rules to whatever suits us. Look, I once was coming home from hunting on a nice moonlit night with snow on the ground and just for the heck of it, I looked through my scope to see if I could see my crosshairs. And by golly I could. does that mean that I should feel justified in shooting any deer that had been out in that field. My gosh some of you people can justify anything. 

Look, unless we are willing to forgive jack-lighters, we have to call a halt to the  day in some organized and recognizable way. At least most of us believe we should. What is wrong with sunrise to sunset. Really .... are you people that desperate? I always have to wonder about people who think they should be able to make their own rules. I wonder just where they draw the line, or if they draw any lines at all. I guess I have had that question answered every opening day morning when I hear those shots in the dark.

• Like 1

I'm not going to say that I agree with the OP, But I do have a question or two. For all the individuals that say the law is the law and that's it, why can't we as tax payers question the laws? Why is it okay to hunt half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset in Ohio, but illegal across an arbitrary line in western NY? Why in NY can you hunt waterfowl a half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset, but not deer? I understand safety, but is it really more or less safe one way or the other? I don't know the statistics, but are there more accidents in states that allow the half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset? I really think that it is our duty to question our officials regularly. I'm not saying to take matters into your own hands and make the rules as you go but what are the steps to change the rules? Do hunters really have input into regulations? I've hunted for 25 years and never once been asked for my input on regulations, have you? Just some thoughts...

You can certainly question authority and the laws that are made. It is the foundation of our government. If you don't like a law, do something about it. Speak to an elected official, or make your voice heard during election time. But as long as a law is in place, it's the law. And if your method of questioning that law is to break it, the you must deal with the repercussions. And that's not just of the authorities but also of those people who honor and respect the laws despite their disagreement with a particular law.

The concept is quite simple. But certain people have a sense of entitlement and superiority which is disgusting. You are no better than anyone else. And if you have the nerve to flaunt that and publicly discuss how you did something illegal and want a pat on the back for it, we'll then you are just a dope.

So then I would like to know, do all of you law abiding do-gooders, who never ever break or bend a single law of the land, check the weather channel, farmer's almanac, or what have you every single time you set foot in the woods, to hunt, so that you know the minute you're allowed to take that shot and the minute you've got to stop and unload?

Ok didn't want to chime in but I couldn't help it. In NH we have the 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after

& people here push that. I had to keep reminding myself the first sit in NY last week to stop at sunset which we did

if sunset was at 5:00 4:59 the arrow went in the quiver. I value my hunting privilege more than a lot of things

I am sure glad I am that way one evening sit I finished & walked out to my truck & there was the NY DEC SUV right behind my truck. I instantly put my bow on my tailgate & pulled out my license, showed him my back tag

he seemed impressed that I was ready with everything he needed

I told him how much I valued my licenses & as I do not know every single Hunting law I follow everyone that I do know. he laughed & stated the law books for most F&G are so big most Officers don't know all the laws. we chatted for 15 min or so then he Thanked me shook my hand & we left. through all this rambling my point I guess is how much do you value your hunting privilege because you never know when DEC is watching or any other hunter especially in NY where you are wearing your license # on your back

So then I would like to know, do all of you law abiding do-gooders, who never ever break or bend a single law of the land, check the weather channel, farmer's almanac, or what have you every single time you set foot in the woods, to hunt, so that you know the minute you're allowed to take that shot and the minute you've got to stop and unload?

UM Yes I do.

Arrow is in quiver/ Bullet not in chamber till legal shooting out at end

As a matter of fact, all through hunting season, it is a daily routine to check the sunset and sunrise times for each day. It's not really that much of an imposition .... lol. I have the weather site bookmarked in the computer, and wham-bam.... it is the easiest thing I will probably do that day. It almost happens automatically since I am in there daily getting the latest read on the wind and weather forecast so I can plan the hunt.

If he does he does I don't watch all those fake Big buck tv shows so I don't care about the buck of a lifetime

it is about being out in the woods spending time with friends, family & nature & putting Venison in the freezer

If the Buck of a lifetime comes out 1 minute after legal shooting he would walk

by the way my watch is is in eyesight all the time no movement needed

• Like 1

How many of you padlock your bowstring and cables together while traveling between your hunting spot and your home? Because that's a law too, isn't it? Unless it's in a locked case. I'm sure no one just puts it on the seat of their pickup, on a gun rack, or in the back seat of their car.

here is the NY rule on transporting firearms Never heard where it had to be padlocked you dont even have to padlock your rifle

Transportation of Firearms

A person may not transport or possess a shotgun, rifle or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded in both chamber and magazine or the crossbow is unloaded or taken down. A loaded firearm may be carried or possessed in a motorboat while legally hunting migratory game birds.

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when the cap is off the nipple, the primer is removed, the primer powder is removed from the flintlock pan, or the battery is not in an electric-fired muzzleloader.

A crossbow is considered unloaded when it is uncocked. A crossbow is considered taken down when the limbs have been removed from the stock, securely fastened in a case, or locked in a trunk

• Like 1

I'm not going to say that I agree with the OP, But I do have a question or two.  For all the individuals that say the law is the law and that's it, why can't we as tax payers question the laws?  Why is it okay to hunt half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset in Ohio, but illegal across an arbitrary line in western NY?  Why in NY can you hunt waterfowl a half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset, but not deer?  I understand safety, but is it really more or less safe one way or the other?  I don't know the statistics, but are there more accidents in states that allow the half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset?  I really think that it is our duty to question our officials regularly.  I'm not saying to take matters into your own hands and make the rules as you go but what are the steps to change the rules?  Do hunters really have input into regulations?  I've hunted for 25 years and never once been asked for my input on regulations, have you?  Just some thoughts...

You can question the law.. you just aren't suppose to break it. Lots of laws are changed after large groups petition or lobby otherwise. I have heard lots of hunters complain about the sunrise - sunset law, but I have never seen an active lobby by hunters against it in NY. If hunters don't like the law then ban together to get it changed.

• Like 3

How many of you padlock your bowstring and cables together while traveling between your hunting spot and your home? Because that's a law too, isn't it? Unless it's in a locked case. I'm sure no one just puts it on the seat of their pickup, on a gun rack, or in the back seat of their car.

You can write so you must be able to read, yes?

Read the syllabus and get back to us with your findings..........

• Like 4

so let me ask you if NY gave you the 1/2 hour rule would you still hunt 20 minutes after if you think you could still see?

I certainly wouldn't sit until 10pm just cause it was a really clear night with a big bright moon, but I would judge my start and stop time by the ambient light. Unlike you, I do not check the time of sunrise and sunset each day. In fact, yesterday was the first time I ever checked.

Yes... it isn't that big of a deal.. I also read the syllabus every year so that I know what the rules are... you should try that instead of making up your own as you go along!