Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

where's the post about the poor guy out of work who's poaching deer to feed his family? that usually pops up in the ethics debate once or twice a year.

I think that poor guy died of starvation .............

And the bit from some posters who say they need to do it to feed the family . I say BS ! 

you and others take this attitude yet are hipocrites. In the recent thread by a young hunter who got his first archery buck there is 2 pages of congradulations. He shot it with after climbing into a stand with only 7 minutes of leagal light. is his behavior excused because he hadn't broken a law yet???  obviously this young hunter was intending to. And your full of it if you thinking he was climbing down after sitting for 7 minutes.

You need to have more than 44 post on this site to be calling me a hypcrite or Joeseph a liar....For one thing I beleive if he was in the area he has listed on his profile he had more than 7 mins..I actually looked that up....Also I believe him for I do not recall in his past 3yrs here to be concidered a liar...Then you have the fact, for me as, to having stepped out my door and killed deer having just 10 mins of time left and 3mins to close....with no more intention of killing a deer past hours than I ever have ...which is none...

Now you can add to this..... he had a cam and unless he has some very very expensive equipment any footage would have been of poor quality...now if he shows said footage and the deer is grainier than looking through the bottom of a highball glass...well that would make me wrong...but not a hypocrite

So if they passed a law, like mentioned earlier, stating that you had to turn in a certain race of people to be imprisoned and tortured, you'd just blindly follow it, because it was a law? If you say you wouldnt, then according to you, your ethics and integrity are in question.

This has to be one of the lamest posts on this whole thread ! 

• Like 4

How you feel and what is ethical are two different things... if your the type of person that is okay with breaking the laws, like them or not, your ethics and your integrity are in question. Trying to rationalize it with the "how you feel" argument is, again, trying to justify what you know to be wrong. Because you don't feel like a sleaze ball, doesn't mean you aren't one. Good move though trying to defend the indefensible by throwing in the extenuating circumstances argument...another feeble justification for what you still know to be wrong.

You're right it doesn't make you a monster to take a deer 3 minutes after sunset.. it does however speak to your integrity. This conversation however started with a guy that had no idea that sunrise and sunset was an actual time... didn't read the rule book... and didn't much care what the rule was... If you don't think that is unethical, I'm gonna start calling you Hillary!

but if I cross an invisible man made line I can shoot that deer 30 minutes after sunset... I can smoke that weed... I can marry my cousin...

If you're ethics are defined by the government; let alone THE FREAKING NYS GOVERNMENT than I feel for you man. I define myself by how I was raised and my religion, not by politicians.

• Like 2

but if I cross an invisible man made line I can shoot that deer 30 minutes after sunset... I can smoke that weed... I can marry my cousin...

If you're ethics are defined by the government; let alone THE FREAKING NYS GOVERNMENT than I feel for you man. I define myself by how I was raised and my religion, not by politicians.

Not to detract from your point, but you can marry your cousin in NY. I suppose that's even more reason not to let politicians define your morals. Carry on.

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 1

These goody two shoes would follow every law down to a "T", even if the law said you couldn't hunt or own a firearm or bow they would give up their passion for the sport just to kiss the law's ass, most laws are illogical and are upheld by a corrupted government, we the people elect officials to make laws and regulations but when a law could be in question every one is too scared to oppose it.

I guess it has something to do with upbringing. I was raised to recognize that we are a nation of laws and as such proper citizen behavior is to respect the law, obey the law, and to have respect for those that enforce the law. That's just the guidelines that I was raised with. I still believe in all that. I also believe that you can have a disagreement with a law and the proper response to that kid of disagreement is to follow the system to get that law changed. I was also raised to despise law breakers. With very few exceptions, that principle of my upbringing is still engrained too. I am a hard-line law and order proponent.

• Like 4

I can get behind that. Poaching is unethical because it violates principles of fair chase and deprives others of their legal opportunities. It is not unethical, however, simply by virtue of being illegal. That's all my point is.

I agree that not all things legal are ethical and vice versa... but in the specific case that started this debate one relates to the other. Shooting outside of legal shooting times would be against good hunting ethics based on the rules of fair chase... not to mention poaching. There may be some things that are not unethical by virtue of being illegal this is not one of them.
  • Like 1

My ethics are based on what is right and wrong... I don't try to justify that which I know is wrong... pretty simple concept really... adhering to that rule makes life much easier.

• Like 2