Best sabot for the job

BigVal

I've had good performance on deer with the lightfield hybrids. I switched to the hornady SST because they shoot much flatter and extend my range with the shotgun. I've been contemplating trying the Winchester partition golds. Supposedly they are devastating on deer and shoot good. Hornadys shoot good but I've heard they aren't so good on terminal ballistics. I'd rather have a good shooting slug but know for sure that it will drop a deer effectively and that's what I've heard they partition golds offer.

I've had good performance on deer with the lightfield hybrids. I switched to the hornady SST because they shoot much flatter and extend my range with the shotgun. I've been contemplating trying the Winchester partition golds. Supposedly they are devastating on deer and shoot good. Hornadys shoot good but I've heard they aren't so good on terminal ballistics. I'd rather have a good shooting slug but know for sure that it will drop a deer effectively and that's what I've heard they partition golds offer.

I've also heard the SST's don't expand real well and sometimes punch thru . I tried them in my 870 , they shot pretty well for longer distances but honestly don't need that extra where I hunt. Would rather have the energy dump of Lightfields.

I've also heard the SST's don't expand real well and sometimes punch thru . I tried them in my 870 , they shot pretty well for longer distances but honestly don't need that extra where I hunt. Would rather have the energy dump of Lightfields.

I pretty much agree. 90% of hunting I do is under 125 yards. But one farm I hunt has lots of fields and its in Onondaga county, so the extra range is nice.

I totally agree with you though. That's why I go back and forth which to use. I want to try the partition golds in my shotgun next year if they shoot good. I've only read amazing things about them. Meanwhile, hornady reviews are good mostly but with an alarming amount of bad expansion reviews

I have an 870 and use the Remington Accutips, they pattern well and are deadly. I'm down to 8 shells after sighting in this morning. I looked in 3 different places for them last week, can't find them anywhere. Runnings, Gander Mt, Dicks, all sold out.

There's shortage on the accutips in the 20g 2 3/4 and a few other combinations. Nowhere to be found except for old stock. Two different shops told me Remington isn't releasing any lots they have stockpiled. Both places also surmised it is because they don't have any and production lines are down for the relocation to Alabama. Heard same story from two different places geographically, so might have some truth to it.

There's shortage on the accutips in the 20g 2 3/4 and a few other combinations. Nowhere to be found except for old stock. Two different shops told me Remington isn't releasing any lots they have stockpiled. Both places also surmised it is because they don't have any and production lines are down for the relocation to Alabama. Heard same story from two different places geographically, so might have some truth to it.

Thanks, none of the clerks seem to know why they are out. I'm looking for 12 ga, 2 3/4".

I'll have to really be stingy with the few I have left. More will probably be available ofter the season ends!

I am surprised how many guys say the sst's shoot well from their Remington's. my 12 gauge 870 and my sons 20 gauge 870 did not like them my 12 gauge likes the copper solids or the aero tips my sons 20 likes the copper solid's a bit better than the aero tips. you really need to shoot different brands to see what your gun like's. better yet go buy a rifle the price for sabot slugs for shot guns has gotten out of control its sad when I can buy a box of 20 30-30's for $16 and a box of 5 copper solids are same price

Hornady SST's out of my Savage 220F.  I've never had to track or fire a second shot using them.  Cannot say the same for Core-Lokts out of my .30-06.  I'll be switching once the core-loks are gone.  The SST ML round is the same as the 20g SST, and that's worked wonderfully for me as well. 

Turkeyfeathers, you know that you don't need to use a 3" 12ga right?  My 220F shooting 2 3/4" SSt's kicks just a little more than a .22LR.   I'll NEVER fire any of the 12ga in my safe ever again unless SHTF and that's all the ammo I have left. 

Hornady SST's out of my Savage 220F. I've never had to track or fire a second shot using them. Cannot say the same for Core-Lokts out of my .30-06. I'll be switching once the core-loks are gone. The SST ML round is the same as the 20g SST, and that's worked wonderfully for me as well.

Turkeyfeathers, you know that you don't need to use a 3" 12ga right? My 220F shooting 2 3/4" SSt's kicks just a little more than a .22LR. I'll NEVER fire any of the 12ga in my safe ever again unless SHTF and that's all the ammo I have left.

yup , shoot 2 3/4 " out of my Winchester and 3" out of my 870. Really ?! Not much more than a .22 ?!