What's your opening day setup like?

Billdogge

Ground blind so daughter (13) can sit with me for morning then off to ballet for her. It's overlooking two parallel trails . Trails are used by deer to slowly meander thru the hardwoods . either side of trail has low lying browse and a few small stands of pines. Deer feel comfortable traveling thru this area as opposed to traveling thru open hardwoods. Blind is 100 yards behind my ladder stand and periodically see deer over my shoulder moving thru but I can't see them from there all that well and blow right at them. Hoping this new blind pays off as it sounds really good on paper. Hoping for no rain and decent temps so daughter can enjoy.

• Like 2

I'll be out with Oldman and uncle sitting in 10 or 15 acre parcel surrounded by fields and a river on one side normally pretty good spot in the am...then hill in afternoon also hoping for warm rain less weather as Oldman don't hunt much anymore bc he don't like the cold

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Portable climber packed back in about a mile in Allegany state park. My favorite spot took a huge 10 pt last yr and 2 other mountable 8 pts. over the past 30 yrs.  With me will be my friends 16 yr old son , who's dad has to work .I'm more excited about Andrew getting a buck than getting one myself. Be safe

• Like 4

25y/o daughter will be in this ladder stand , so I'll be down this path a couple hundred yards in a hang on, would not be my first choice but it's the nearest one to her . This is her first time in a stand other than practicing . She only gets out a couple times a year and when she was in college missed some years completely , so,she gets the best stand and I stay nearby .

My stand is a rather low hang on just into the woods off a green field that they cross, it's the stand I killed my bow buck out of this year and blew it on a monster . I have trimmed some trees to allow more rifle shots out into the field as well.

Oh and I put that ladder stand up by myself !

post-253-0-68248500-1447601720_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-19244100-1447601800_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 5

If it's raining, a ladder stand, overlooking a grown up brush field that borders a VERY thick bedding area.

If it's clear, a natural ground blind in a hemlock woods, bordering a large swamp.

Both spots take advantage of surrounding pressure as deer seek out the thick cover or swamp. Both are proven opening day spots.

• Like 1

I found a spot over the back of our hill. It's several hundred very steep feet down to the valley below. Our hill gets a lot of pressure, as does the valley below & the next hill beyond it. I'm hoping the deer try to use the side hill for cover. It's very thick and brushy. I'll be overlooking 3 old logging roads that meet about 40 yards in front of me. It's just above a little bowl in the hill. I've got about a 60yds max shot. Can't wait.

• Like 1

Why are you undressed in the woods lol

I'm not. I still have my pumpkin suit on, but I did have to remove some of the layers because of the heat that day. So, I simply hang things around to get more red and orange on the stand itself. Hey ... It can't hurt.

• Like 2

Usually the stand Im in depends on a few things, deer activity, weather, winds, etc. This year though, Im bringing my 4 year old son with me opening day. We will be sitting in a ground blind over looking a food plot in the morning and possibly a different blind in the afternoon. That one sits on the nose of a ridge overlooking a large bottom and 3 other ridges where the deer typically travel.

Morning blind

88226133-E7F0-4CF6-9F93-4A7E9894AC6F_zps

E79E3DEE-C814-49C7-91B5-0A67F92D0320_zps

• Like 4

I'll probably be in our swamp or in the creek bottom. It really depends on the wind. I may end up sitting on a plowed field where deer like to cross the corner. I'll have my Tikka .270 in hand but there are only a few places that I could really use my rifle on our property but it cost over a $1 more a shot to use my shotgun. I do have a couple nice lanes that reach across a field but they seldom use the field for travel during gun season.