What's your opening day setup like?

Billdogge

I'll be in a hang-on that sits in a narrow brushy patch of woods that has green fields on each side and connects brushy hardwoods on one end and a mix of open hardwoods and very thick brush on the other. Awesome rut stand and also an awesome opening day gun stand. A buck has been taken opening day there 6 of the past 7 years and all but one have been 7, 8, or 9 points.

• Like 1

I'll be in a hang-on that sits in a narrow brushy patch of woods that has green fields on each side and connects brushy hardwoods on one end and a mix of open hardwoods and very thick brush on the other. Awesome rut stand and also an awesome opening day gun stand. A buck has been taken opening day there 6 of the past 7 years and all but one have been 7, 8, or 9 points.

this is probably not the best time for me to ask permission to hunt there but it can't hurt to try
  • Like 2

state land, on the ground...hoping I get there before someone else, high expectations after what I saw bowhunting............but honestly, I'd rather stay home and bowhunt Long Island....tradition calls so I'll drag myself up for the opener.

Probably should leave now to beat others there. I'm blessed not to have to hunt public land. Hunt brothers 70 acres and never see a soul let alone hear any shots on same mountain side. Just jinxed myself, and he's got property up for sale too.

Probably should leave now to beat others there. I'm blessed not to have to hunt public land. Hunt brothers 70 acres and never see a soul let alone hear any shots on same mountain side. Just jinxed myself, and he's got property up for sale too.

honestly our spots have been surprisingly quiet the past few years.....and haven't seen another bowhunter in quite a few, the whole opening of rifle just doesn't grab me anymore like it used to....I could be just as happy going up and catching up on some sleep.

The plan is to hunt Partridge run in the AM in a spot that I've dubbed "Doe Valley" after consistently taking a hog out of the valley for the past 5 years straight now. Nice hollowed out stump to seat yourself in and scan out over a valley bordering one of the many ponds on the property.

PM I'll be hitting my bow stand most likely forever in search of one of those 4J monsters I've seen roaming my area.

Good luck to everyone and be safe!

• Like 2

I'll be in a treestand located at a pinch point between two larger areas of woods and cover..

The stand is located on the break of hill so that I can watch the flat on top in one direction and the slope to the east..The woods are mainly second growth oak, but there are two strips of beech sapling cover that intersect near the stand, and the deer like to sneak through them when the pressure is on..

I LOVE hearing those gunshots !

this is probably not the best time for me to ask permission to hunt there but it can't hurt to try

lol you might as well! The landowner's grandkids (mid-late 20's) decided the past couple years that they are hunters now and sit in it every week. I even donated 2 tree stands and we put them in great spots across the road (where slammers have been killed as well) but they refuse to hunt anything but my spot.

lol you might as well! The landowner's grandkids (mid-late 20's) decided the past couple years that they are hunters now and sit in it every week. I even donated 2 tree stands and we put them in great spots across the road (where slammers have been killed as well) but they refuse to hunt anything but my spot.

Thats funny I have a local spot where now a bunch of the kids on the street are hunting age, walking to my spot is like going through the ladder aisle at lowes. Plus there's scent hangers and buck bombs all over the place
  • Like 1

The plan is to hunt Partridge run in the AM in a spot that I've dubbed "Doe Valley" after consistently taking a hog out of the valley for the past 5 years straight now. Nice hollowed out stump to seat yourself in and scan out over a valley bordering one of the many ponds on the property.

PM I'll be hitting my bow stand most likely forever in search of one of those 4J monsters I've seen roaming my area.

Good luck to everyone and be safe!

Good luck Eric. Partridge run has some nice deer on some of those ridges, if you are off the beaten path a bit. Nowhere near the number of hunters there now as in the past. Been hunting it on and off since I was a kid. I know someone who took a slammer 10 point from there last year!

• Like 1

Thats funny I have a local spot where now a bunch of the kids on the street are hunting age, walking to my spot is like going through the ladder aisle at lowes. Plus there's scent hangers and buck bombs all over the place

haha same here on the scents....  Scent hangers around my tree, a mock scrape that we all know wasn't done with the caution of human scent, and a mock rub (?) hatcheted on a big tree with doe-in-estrous- gel squirted on the tree......   thankfully I've calmed them down on that part.

Sitting in a double with my 13 year old son overlooking a small valley that deer regularly cross and next to doe bedding.  It should be quite the squeeze (not his fault).  I may need Vaseline if I have to stand to shoot.

I just hope we see a few deer to keep him interested.  A decent buck would be a huge bonus.

• Like 3