Can't believe...

nyantler

some of the photos that hunters take after their kill. Capturing the memory of a deer harvest could be a once in a lifetime thing for many hunters...Do yourself a favor and read this. Years from now when you want to recall that memory again you'll be glad you did.

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/photographing-your-deer.html

• Like 3

WHAT??…...Take the damn photo you want to take, and don't let people tell you how YOU should photo YOUR deer.  Next deer I get will be photoed over the hood of a 74 Chevy wagon, gut side out, with blood covering the hood, toungh  hanging out, and with me in a Sponge BOB T-shirt, sweat pants and  a freaking Sombraro……. Maybe have Walmart in the background……

Its YOUR memory..

• Like 14

WHAT??…...Take the damn photo you want to take, and don't let people tell you how YOU should photo YOUR deer.  Next deer I get will be photoed over the hood of a 74 Chevy wagon, gut side out, with blood covering the hood, toungh  hanging out, and with me in a Sponge BOB T-shirt, sweat pants and  a freaking Sombraro……. Maybe have Walmart in the background……

Its YOUR memory..

If there is no Walmart you can "crop" it in ants. LOL

WHAT??…...Take the damn photo you want to take, and don't let people tell you how YOU should photo YOUR deer. Next deer I get will be photoed over the hood of a 74 Chevy wagon, gut side out, with blood covering the hood, toungh hanging out, and with me in a Sponge BOB T-shirt, sweat pants and a freaking Sombraro……. Maybe have Walmart in the background……

Its YOUR memory..

Where's the photo of the deer you shot last year? Oh, that's right, I forgot. You lost that deer because you made a poor shot in poor conditions, maybe next time.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I try hard to capture the memories.  I almost always have the camera and small UltraPod either in the truck or in my pack.  Lots of times when I know I've made a killing shot I still go back to the truck to retrieve the gear, just to give the deer a few more minutes.

Sometimes it takes many many 5 shot bursts with the self timer to get a good picture.  Rarely do I have somebody take pics for me and when they DO take the pics, they generally suck.  My timer shots are better by a mile..........in my slightly humble opinion.  :)

last spring I had a camera without an SD card.  :( 

I had to use the Iphone camera self timer perched in the barrel of my binos for a cradle.  Sweet move.............

• Like 3

I try hard to capture the memories.  I almost always have the camera and small UltraPod either in the truck or in my pack.  Lots of times when I know I've made a killing shot I still go back to the truck to retrieve the gear, just to give the deer a few more minutes.

Sometimes it takes many many 5 shot bursts with the self timer to get a good picture.  Rarely do I have somebody take pics for me and when they DO take the pics, they generally suck.  My timer shots are better by a mile..........in my slightly humble opinion.  :)

last spring I had a camera without an SD card.  :(

I had to use the Iphone camera self timer perched in the barrel of my binos for a cradle.  Sweet move.............

Your photos are great...

Its YOUR memory..

There is always one trouble maker in the bunch... but you're right... it's your photo, it can be as terrible a photo as you like... this is for those that want a better photo and aren't sure how to do it.

• Like 4

Its YOUR memory..

Lol. Awesome. Please do this.

• Like 1

It is your photo, your memory, but then have respect for the animal and your fellow hunters before posting it to social media to show it off, you just look like an idiot or a stereotypical hunter, and make every decent person that has a conscience and respect look bad.

• Like 3

photo is yours but who doesn't want a good photo.  it might seem like a pain but just know what to do and not to do, especially with kids or first time hunters you're mentoring.  maybe you might be fine with a photo of you and an obviously dead carcass hanging over a hood with a cig hanging out of your mouth or beer can in your hand but what about them?  they don't know better.

....I've got some great advise too.  ditch the cell phone cams at some point and use an actual camera.  especially in lower light.  had a hunter take some field photos of his first deer that was a 4.5 yr old doe with a bow even.  said he was good and had some field photos with the deer.  I said here i'll take some more just in case.  propped the deer up with its legs naturally under it, stuck the tongue in, got a good back drop to frame the photo, took a couple seconds to wipe the hair back from being dragged, and got him behind it holding the head up and with his bow.  he was shocked at how much better that stuff made the photo look and with hind sight was much happier.  youth are notorious for getting harvest photos in magazines and hunting guides.  maybe you don't care to be in them but how much would it make their day to have that happen.  think about it.

• Like 1

great article. I agree with all of it. Generally I snap a few cell phone shots to share and then later try and take some nice pics with the DSLR.

Only thing missing is not mentioning sitting 10' away to make the rack look bigger :cheese:

good outfitters keep harvest photos up to date and make sure good ones are taken for their use to market the business.  they can add 20" of antler and 50lbs to a buck just with the photo. haha  it can seem obvious but when done right it's much harder to tell.

• Like 1

I try to take "good pics"...but sometimes....especially when alone...ya just can't..

Heck the only way I got that deer gutted was to tie his rack to the bed of the buggy..then tie boat bumpers to either side of him to keep his belly up and lay a tarp under the tailgate...I Then hit the raise button on the dump bed and gutted him..... zipping butt to breast and letting it all fall out. used the winch to get him hung...But nice posed pics on a "pliable" deer are preferable.

What type of photo one wants is a personal thing - like deciding which deer to shoot.

I don't see respect in the equation at all.

I highly doubt a great picture makes the deer feel better with having just had an arrow or bullet blow thru its vitals and get field dressed.

Thanks..I always have liked the ground level length ones for the bucks...most of the snowy doe gun ones are the legs tucked and gun resting on them ...as one member pointed out when I originally posted this one...I even get them to smile for me ;)

Edited by growalot