WHO EVER IT WAS...

Robinson446

Who ever was in Gilbertsville during hunting season hunting Saloans farm, and shot a 3 point and didnt bother to track it, SCR3W YOU! im getting pretty sick of people shooting deer and not tracking them. My grandfather shot a deer opening weekend and being the conditions of where he shot it, i had him wait where he shot it and i tracked it for 2 hours! Finally found the deer in the swamp dead. I walked the swamp up to my knees for 2 hours due to no blood from the water in the swamp. IF YOU SHOOT ANY ANIMAL, ATLEAST HAVE THE HEART OF A TRUE HUNTER TO GO FIND YOUR KILL. Perfectly fine 3 point went to waste because i found it a week to late. I was just riding around on the four wheeler looking for coyote tracks and the 3 point was laying right in the open by a fallen down pine. TRACK YOUR DEER WHEN YOU SHOOT THEM GUYS.

I wonder if folks don't think they hit a deer and don't bother to walk out and check . Pure laziness ! The 1st time I ever shot at a deer with the muzzle loader was in a corn field . I walked along the end looking down each row and spotted a doe walking across the rows . I moved mack a couple rows , pulled the hammer back and aimed down the row . When she entered that row I squeexed off a shot . The rifle kicked and there was a cloud of smoke and I saw nothing . I didn't see or hear her run but went to check on blood . The doe was laying right where I shot her .... 85 yards from where I fired .

I always check for a hit whether it's with the gun or bow and still look around for blood . If I get a hit , then I will track for as long as I can . I stsrted deer hunting in 1965 . I have two deer that I never recovered and it still bothers me .

I totally agree. My grandfather hit a doe this year and it went about a 1/4 mile into the pines. He waited an hour, and during that hour he hear a fourwheeler in the direction of the doe running, stop for a minute, turn back on and take off like a bat outta hell. Sure enough when we tracked it it turns out that the deer ran through the woods and finally fell and died just off a trail, and one of the locals picked it up

Don't forget a lot of hunters don't have the skill to successfully track a deer.  They will expend the effort to find a deer they shot, but because they have never taken the time to learn how to do it well, they can't find the deer, even after hours of trying. 

I see this more often than I see guys not trying to find it.  It's all part of being a hunter.  Know your weaknesses and work on improving them.  It all helps you bag more game.

Also, if you can't find it, get on the phone and call someone who can.  Ask them to come and help you.

About 5 years ago, I was hunting during muzzleloader season and found a 4pt., that was gutted and laying along a 4 wheeler path. It was on private property and no one else had permission to be on there. I figured whoever shot it would be back to get it, since it had been gutted and everything. I checked on it every now and then, hoping to catch the person, but they never returned for it! Coyotes ended up getting it days later. Don't know if they were afraid to come back after it or if they had a long drag and figured screw it? Sure pissed me off though!!! I had been hunting hard and couldn't put one in my freezer, then this schmuk wastes one!

Who ever was in Gilbertsville during hunting season hunting Saloans farm, and shot a 3 point and didnt bother to track it, SCR3W YOU! im getting pretty sick of people shooting deer and not tracking them. My grandfather shot a deer opening weekend and being the conditions of where he shot it, i had him wait where he shot it and i tracked it for 2 hours! Finally found the deer in the swamp dead. I walked the swamp up to my knees for 2 hours due to no blood from the water in the swamp. IF YOU SHOOT ANY ANIMAL, ATLEAST HAVE THE HEART OF A TRUE HUNTER TO GO FIND YOUR KILL. Perfectly fine 3 point went to waste because i found it a week to late. I was just riding around on the four wheeler looking for coyote tracks and the 3 point was laying right in the open by a fallen down pine. TRACK YOUR DEER WHEN YOU SHOOT THEM GUYS.

Sure it had been shot and not hit by a car or something like that? Id think any really good sign of a shot would be long gone by now on any deer shot durring the season. Ive found some carcasses laying in various areas while shed hunting and predator hunting the last couple of weeks, and you cant tell how they met their end. Well, except the ones right by the road, but they can run a ways after being hit by a car.

Sure it had been shot and not hit by a car or something like that? Id think any really good sign of a shot would be long gone by now on any deer shot durring the season. Ive found some carcasses laying in various areas while shed hunting and predator hunting the last couple of weeks, and you cant tell how they met their end. Well, except the ones right by the road, but they can run a ways after being hit by a car.

WNY i dont know exactly when he was shot but im assuming it as a week before i shot it. could have been before. I flipped him over ad he He had a bullet hole in his left side where the kidneys are and the shot came out a little higher up towards his gut on the right side. I looked him over real well in the begining and found the shot. His hair was all ruffed up where the shot went in and went out. I stuck my finger in it to make sure it was a bullet hole. I talked to the farmer and he said he didnt shoot any deer down there this season and he said he only hunted up across the road and didnt shoot at any deer. His brother got a decent 8 and thats it. The way he was running from was right where the deer cross the road almost night just before dark. So im pretty positive someone shot him out of the car or stood on the road. Either way they didnt have permission to take the deer.

Well, in all honesty. i would like to give some people out there the benefit of the doubt... i do know there are some out there who purely give up to easy or dont put forth the effort to track. But i do see on here alot of people jump the gun and bash others when they find a dead deer in the woods. whos to say that hunter DID NOT do everything he possibly could to track that deer but maybe the deer doubled back and the hunter circled patterned but was un successful in tracking that deer. this stuff happens but its sad to see so many guys on here bash or voice an opinion on what someone else is saying. For all robinson doesn't know is the hunter who hit that deer could have tried hard and did not come out on top and was bummed as heck to loose that deer. i would like to think some people have half of a brain and try to do the right thing. I DO NOT want to think everyone out there is INCOMPETENT and can not hunt, otherwise why the hell am i going to risk being around these a holes???

some guys on here have to lighten up and stop thinking every dead deer found in the woods was a poacher or a guy who hit it and gave up on it. NO ONE here knows the story of that deer and the hunter who shot it so stop making judgments on those stories you do not know anything about other then an un recovered deer. Is this what NY is about? criticizing others and thinking all hunters out there are incompetent? ???  i know there are some but to think everyone who looses a deer is, well thats just stupid. I get mad when i see an un recovered deer as much as the next hunter, but unless you were there, YOU DONT know the whole story.

sorry to rant but ive been seeing WAY TO MANY guys voice an opinion on matters they are not 100% sure of and its getting old to be honest with you... A dead deer in a feild, must be poachers, a dead deer in the thickets, well the hunter didnt look or gave up on that deer. i mean c mon really???

Geno every case is different, this one seems like it was a real bad hit and I could deff see some one loosing the trail of it. On top of that a hit of this caliber means the deer is fully capable of surviving 8 hours which would give it plenty of time to put some miles down from where it was first hit. I can't say I would blame any one for loosing a poorly hit deer though some of the others that are a clear good hit there are no excuse's for.

Geno every case is different, this one seems like it was a real bad hit and I could deff see some one loosing the trail of it. On top of that a hit of this caliber means the deer is fully capable of surviving 8 hours which would give it plenty of time to put some miles down from where it was first hit. I can't say I would blame any one for loosing a poorly hit deer though some of the others that are a clear good hit there are no excuse's for.

I have no idea the proximity to the property lines in this story but I think Doe is right on the mark. A deer hit as described could have easily stayed on it's feet for hours and covered a lot of ground. Hit where it was I would bet the blood trail could have been tough to follow. Mix that in with a god population of deer and a lot of tracks and this could have been a tough one to get.

Geno----I think the general theme in all the posts was to emphasize the need for follow up....and that some out there may not do everything the absolutely can to recover game. This is one of those topics that as hunters we have to make a big deal about....hold the people we know or hunt with  to a higher standard. There is no law against just shooting and making a half hearted peek to see if it was down. With no law we need to police ourselves. If you have trouble...get help.....make yourself available to others to assist in others recoveries. Tracking is a skill and there are ways to do it that are better than others. It should be practiced just like shooting itself.  And when you have exhausted all options and can look yourself in the mirror and say "I did everything I could do"...feel bad....learn from it...and move on. Every missed opportunity...mistake...and even success makes us better hunters .....if we are doing our job right...lol

But in the same sense the Amount of blood that was all around the exit wound was pretty good blood. If it took out its liver its going too bleed out quick. And where ever the deer was taken from, you can only gun hunt to the right of the farm if you are standing in the driveway of the barn. The deer was taken from the left and it came the direction of the village which isnt far from the spot i belive it was shot. To the right where ONLY I have permission to hunt is just out of the village limits. Regardless to if he tried hard to find the deer or not, It was taken on land that only i have permission to hunt. I talked to the farmer and i only have the permission to hunt the land.

I have no idea the proximity to the property lines in this story but I think Doe is right on the mark. A deer hit as described could have easily stayed on it's feet for hours and covered a lot of ground. Hit where it was I would bet the blood trail could have been tough to follow. Mix that in with a god population of deer and a lot of tracks and this could have been a tough one to get.

Geno----I think the general theme in all the posts was to emphasize the need for follow up....and that some out there may not do everything the absolutely can to recover game. This is one of those topics that as hunters we have to make a big deal about....hold the people we know or hunt with  to a higher standard. There is no law against just shooting and making a half hearted peek to see if it was down. With no law we need to police ourselves. If you have trouble...get help.....make yourself available to others to assist in others recoveries. Tracking is a skill and there are ways to do it that are better than others. It should be practiced just like shooting itself.  And when you have exhausted all options and can look yourself in the mirror and say "I did everything I could do"...feel bad....learn from it...and move on. Every missed opportunity...mistake...and even success makes us better hunters .....if we are doing our job right...lol

your right in cases where its blatantly obvious, yeah lets make a big deal about it. but theres no one giving any of these dead deer found the benfit of the doubt that the hunter did indeed do all he could do and assuming he did all you listed and looks himself in the mirror and said he did all he could no one here would know that. instead every deer found is flamed to the hunter by other hunters.

im just saying how much sympathy did all the guys here show to the hunters when there was all the lost deer threads. now can you really believe the time and effort put forth in some? how do you know what they did. For all some may know those same threads that were made during the season on lost deer that were never found could be some of the deer showing up now dead. Probobly not but im just saying. ever loose a deer? you know how much time you put in to recover it. now your neighbor happens to find it and starts bashing your ethics mean while you did the right thing. Not very cool when the gun is jumped and a bunch of assumptions are made. yeah a dead deer found 50 yards from a house with a cross bow arrow on the front law, yeah flame away that s*its gotta stop, poaching wise but when a dead deer is found in the woods, like i said before reading someones threads you can make comments and assumptions but no one knows 100% and all it does is makes everyone seem very judgmental. i am in no way for poachers and in every way possible for guys following up on a deer and doing everything they possibly can do to find it. but we all know in a perfect world that may be the case but lost deer are common year in year out and where is that same sympathy and brotherhood shown in those lost deer threads? its almost like when no one knows who shot the deer its easier to start flaming a hunter then when they do know who it was.

i will tell you culv, if i was your bordering neighbor and i knew you shot a deer and lost it i doubt you would like me to post a pic of the deer dead in the woods and rant on how its got to stop, when you know you did everything you could. i do know from what i am hearing it is all to common now a days that guys do show lack of follow up and i get that, but every dead deer we all come across now will be lack of hunter effort? really? lol it just sounds to stereotypical.

im not saying any of this in a bad or mad way, i just find it comical that all the guys who showed sympathy to the ones who lost a deer this year are the same ones bashing an unknown hunter for his unknown efforts... all those deer threads we read about not to long ago with all the lost deer, i am sure some of those deer were recovered after the fact by another person and guys may still come across them weeks or months from now. they may even be posted on here and flamed for hunter fault in one thread and sympathized about previously in a lost deer thread. see what iam saying...

I agree with you geno!! I know i few cases where the hunter shot a deer and it crossed a property line the hunter tried unsucessfuly to get permission to follow it...he was sure the deer would die but was unable to recover it. Now if i had permission to hunt that piece and found the deer i would think..why didn't the hunter follow this deer it died right in a logging road! what a slob! when he did his best but was ethical about crossing a posted property line that he didn't have permission to cross. And i am sure the hunter believes the owner just wanted the deer for him/her self.

Fair enough Geno...I respect that.

G-man...lost my first deer this year and that exact scenarion you put up happened to me. Over a 2 mile track and a large creek crossing from Northern Zone and into southern zone. The farmer on the other side of the creek would not grant me permission to follow up on the tracking and I know it was dead on his land, based ont eh amount of blood during the track. This was opening weekend of muzzleloader in the NZ. I have permission from all the surrounding landowners to follow up on shots but never expected to have to swim for one...lol. Point taken

i was just looking at it from another angle, no pun intended... believe it or not people giving up on a deer is my biggest pet peeve. i hate it and i did voice my opinion on some who lost their deer in their threads and i thought about it and i may have been harsh at the time. its just i do have alot of passion and love for these animals and i hate to see them go to waste just like anyone else. I hunted with a guy, he was my dads friend and he gave up on deer if he didnt find them dead with in 100 yards. I stopped hunting with him and he still hunts like that till this day. So trust me im not defending those who slack on track jobs.

Ml in north was bow opener in south....if I had my bow I could have finished it of...with no bow.....if the guy gave me permission I probably would have had to make a call to the CO....I had the blood trail as back up....if it happened during NZ bow I would have to make the call too and hope he understood.

i don't want to start anything but it sounds like he is mad that someone shot one of HIS deer .

Maybe so but he is only 15 and has alot to learn. We were all 15 at one time (some still are) as adults we should know what it's all about.

It's one deer out of many and you will learn you can't stop it, yes it's a shame the deer went to waste but it happens everywhere. I just posted one that was found right by me that was a nice 10 pt. There are so many factors that can go into this scenario, you just don't know.

Oh, Robinson446 I like you dedication and enthusiasm for the sport. I have been taking a kid for the last two years (he's your age) and it really pumps me up to see such young individuals so into hunting. Wish there were more of you.