Maybe

G-Man

Been seeing a lot of great bucks posted out of wny this year, starting to think that the "close" of the gun season last year for almost 2 weeks was a good thing. The winter storm that kept hunters home really allowed deer to make it through last year and although many thought they would die ,they are a hardy animal that survived till the snow melted in a week or so. Perhaps a shorter season is what is need vs a one buck or ar restrictions..

Thoughts??

• Like 1

I would.shorten bow and gun, personally, and yes I think most of the take is opening week of gun if I remember correctly, the short season does seem to let many deer survive another year, most big buck states have short or split seasons from what I've read

• Like 1

What are the stats on the distribution of gun kills throughout the season? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that more deer are killed in the first week anyway. How much would the shorter season reduce the take?

Good questions.

I think the answer to your second question would be "peanuts".

In the undersubcribed areas  , around the major cities , like Buffalo , Rochester, a shorter season would not benefit the high deer numbers. Car / deer collisions would be through the roof. A 1 buck rule would be better to increase the bucks and antler size. Maybe a special season or doe first before a buck rule .I am not in favor of a shorter season, I hunt from opening day of bow season to the last day of the late season. I enjoy my time in the woods, looking for that big buck. If I wanted to shoot the first buck and doe that comes along, My season would be over in 2 weeks.

I would.shorten bow and gun, personally, and yes I think most of the take is opening week of gun if I remember correctly, the short season does seem to let many deer survive another year, most big buck states have short or split seasons from what I've read

Lots of folks don't get as much time off as some of the more fortunate ones here and can only hunt weekends.  Heck if the weather is crappy on a couple weekends they really get boned then don't they?

How about a pile of crappy weather......snow, wind, rain etc?  How'd that  go over in these shortened seasons?

I don't think the DEC would find any benefit to shortening any seasons and neither would the hunters.

It isn't all about BIG BUCKS, is it?  I hope like hell it isn't.......................

• Like 5

I only have a rifle and can't afford a bow I think it would be unfair to shorten gun season without shortening all seasons bow/muzzle

I use a 3rd hand, 12-15 year old Darton bow.  I shot my 10 point buck with a 15 dollar (for 3) carbon express fixed  broad-head. You don't have to lay down hundreds of dollars to hunt bow.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 3

What are the stats on the distribution of gun kills throughout the season? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that more deer are killed in the first week anyway. How much would the shorter season reduce the take?

Last year ~25% of the deer killed in the southern zone were on opening day. My reason for supporting a shorter gun season is not for fewer kills because as long as there is one weekend of gun, the deer will be killed. It is about reducing pressure on the deer. A lot of hunting after opening day is deer drives, and this is the time of year when they have and are running themselves ragged as it is. Three weeks in a row of hunters pushing them around during an already stressful time sends them into winter at even more of a disadvantage.

• Like 2

If you shorten it, just take it off the front end.????

I'm for one buck per hunter myself.

• Like 1