Maybe

G-Man

Isnt NY already one of the states with a shorter deer season, compared to that of the other "big buck" states? i know you can hunt hunt after the first of they year in several states. Maybe mixing the seasons up some and extending the entire season. with a break in between somehow. 

I recently became a father so my time is limited to when i can get out in the woods, but i enjoy every minute im out there. Bow season being my preferred time in a tree. 

Isnt NY already one of the states with a shorter deer season

I dunno, but as an avid bowman I feel bow season drags a bit. I would be quite content with a shorter bow season. It's really more the palpable shift in attitude that occurs as one season goes into another. And the shift is not for the better either. 

And for those hatin on the trophy aspect of hunting. It exists, get over it. I hunt principally for meat. but I want to enjoy my hunting too. This means, as the years stack up, that my goals have changed and my needs for a challenge have developed and expanded. This invariably means focusing on those larger bucks that are around and figuring out their patterns. It also means necessarily passing on younger animals in order to have a tag for the bigger boys. I would be tagged out on day 1 if meat was my sole consideration. Where's the fun in that? Why are people down on having fun with the hunt?

Edited by Papist
  • Like 2

Yes, but don't forget, Lamar Odom saved his marriage by overdosing on Viagara and Cocaine at a brothel. Even though it worked for them, it might not be the best solution for another marriage.

These are all ideas to explore if a problem was identified. At this point in my life, however, I don't get enough hunting time to advocate for a shorter season. Hell, I just missed my first bow season ever because of work.

They are talking bucks though what's the herd look like is it actually stronger show me a study or something from the DEC that says so .... I agree bow hunter seem to be far worse with sharing the woods it's called greed there no problems with deer in NY I talk with a forest ranger everyday deer populations are rampant everything I see blames rifle hunters. If u want bigger deer antler restrictions work just as well as anything suggested in this thread

Did you ever wonder what the purpose of a special bow season was when it was created? The bow is an extremely close range weapon that requires a relatively calm deer herd. Unlike guns, there is no percentages in ripping off a 5-shot volley at running deer at extreme yardages. It just doesn't work tat way.

And so, it was deemed necessary that bows be allowed before guns so that deer could be patterned, allowing archers to get within the necessary close distances to have a reasonable chance at harvests. Bowhunting relies on the fact that the woods are not over-flowing with masses of hunters and the great orange army.

Now some people choose to call that selfish, or as you put it, "greedy". However, it is simply self-preservation of the sport. It's a shame that people don't understand that, or that they simply choose to mischaracterize the bowhunting mentality just as a way to demonize the sport and those that participate in it. But I guess that's just human nature unfortunately. 

• Like 4

Also, probably not taken into account, but if Im bowhunting and trying to get 5 or 10 yards from a deer, I'd feel much safer knowing that there is not a gun hunter 200 yards away who may see the same deer and starting letting the lead fly.  Would you go to the range and stand 10 yards away from a target down range of the firing line?  I wouldnt.

It's a shame that people don't understand that, or that they simply choose to mischaracterize the bowhunting mentality just as a way to demonize the sport and those that participate in it. But I guess that's just human nature unfortunately. 

I prefer to call it willful stupidity. And of course gun hunters who don't bow hunt hate the thoughts of bucks being taken before they get to storm the woods

That's all good if u have a bow antler restrictions would be far better IMO ..... I only have a rifle and can't afford a bow I think it would be unfair to shorten gun season without shortening all seasons bow/muzzle

So because you can't afford a bow hundreds of thousands of hunters must adapt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you think closing the season during rut and having multiple opening days will get hunters into the woods more for the 2nd and 3rd opening day?  LOL that is funny! 

Shortening the season will do nothing for the deer, all you would be doing is causing more presser during that time.  And most gun hunters would still only hunt opening weekend and be done.  That second and third opening would have no affect on hunter participation.

I say allow a longer season, give out more than one buck tag.  1 for Northern, one for southern and one for LI with earn a buck tag program in high population areas.  Extend the season because hunting from October to January is just to short!  And make antler restrictions state wide so I can shoot a buck easy from a tree stand and not have to actually work to get my deer.  Yes that last one was sarcastic. 

Funny to me but any way you twist this post it still seem like this to me.  (Well if I can only hunt 3 days then the season should be much shorter, so my bucks can survive for my next 3 day outing next year.)

I honestly believe shorting bow and gun with a week or two weeks between them would allow a better herd, Iowa has an earl and late bow and a early and late gun, the dec needs deer taken so multiple opening days is the best way to accomplish this,as deer will be rested and not spooked by all the hunters. Notice I haven't mentioned antler size or 1 buck rule. Just a way to increase harvest and a way to have the guy that missed opener cause it's his busy season to experiance an opener a few weeks later , or over again, someone said after opening weekend it's a ghost town on stateland, and by the parcels by me I would tend to agree, I believe you should shoot what you want and be happy, I don't worry about big horns as they can be gotten anywhere and volunteering passing younger deer is catching on.
Everyone can agree that non pressured deer are easier to hunt.

So you think closing the season during rut and having multiple opening days will get hunters into the woods more for the 2nd and 3rd opening day? LOL that is funny!

Shortening the season will do nothing for the deer, all you would be doing is causing more presser during that time. And most gun hunters would still only hunt opening weekend and be done. That second and third opening would have no affect on hunter participation.

I say allow a longer season, give out more than one buck tag. 1 for Northern, one for southern and one for LI with earn a buck tag program in high population areas. Extend the season because hunting from October to January is just to short! And make antler restrictions state wide so I can shoot a buck easy from a tree stand and not have to actually work to get my deer. Yes that last one was sarcastic.

Funny to me but any way you twist this post it still seem like this to me. (Well if I can only hunt 3 days then the season should be much shorter, so my bucks can survive for my next 3 day outing next year.)

I do see it in ohio for doe days and regular season, yes pressure is increased but the season it shorted resulting in high harvest that dec wants and a new batch of un pressured deer that the hunters want, hunting the rut targets bucks only as they are dumb if you will.

Why does there have to be some line in the sand of either your a bow person or a gun person. I love the ability to use both. The storm last year was in reality a narrow band of incredibly heavy snow fall. To say that it helped the deer population in the areas hit is crazy. The amount of stress put on the deer for that week was probably enough kill off some. Shortening deer season when most likely it sounds like there will be a early muzzle loader season coming sooner than later makes no sense. Last year's winter was a long brutal winter. If your seeing more deer this year maybe it's because you stink less than years past. Everyone just enjoy getting out.

I would rather see a bow, then muzzleloader, then regular season. It makes more sense to me to have the more traditional equipment used first then the more modern or more limited gear to less limited. And then you can include the crossbow everyone thinks is a bow and arrow in the muzzleloader season seeing how they are both the bastard children of the "sport".

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Doc, on 19 Nov 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

snapback.png

It's a shame that people don't understand that, or that they simply choose to mischaracterize the bowhunting mentality just as a way to demonize the sport and those that participate in it. But I guess that's just human nature unfortunately. 

I prefer to call it willful stupidity. And of course gun hunters who don't bow hunt hate the thoughts of bucks being taken before they get to storm the woods

You guys crack me up!  It's you that miss the point!

If you notice how usually after gun season opener its vacant? Well that is the time i like to hunt not when there are ton of morons in the woods popping off shots at anything that moves, so shortening a season or having an early and late gun season could increase incidents in the field and probably more deer harvested.

Now if there was an antler restriction in areas needed (allow the young bucks to grow) i believe there would be better deer population, and i also think that someone who has multiple deer season license (example if some had bow and gun) Then they should only be allowed one buck tag. If people just stop killing young deer altogether population would blow up.

Now if there was an antler restriction in areas needed (allow the young bucks to grow) i believe there would be better deer population, and i also think that someone who has multiple deer season license (example if some had bow and gun) Then they should only be allowed one buck tag. If people just stop killing young deer altogether population would blow up.

HUH?  Please tell me how shooting an older deer over a younger deer would make the population blow up.   Last I knew filling a tag is filling a tag and its one less deer.  You want the population to blow up then dont shoot does, or shorten gun season, or 1 buck only.  I fail to see where age class has a bearing on population.

Edited by wdswtr

HUH?  Please tell me how shooting an older deer over a younger deer would make the population blow up.   Last I knew filling a tag is filling a tag and its one less deer.  You want the population to blow up then dont shoot does, or shorten gun season, or 1 buck only.  I fail to see where age class has a bearing on population.

But if you shoot bucks then they won't be there to mate

I'm fine with length of seasons. But I Do cringe when rifle season comes only to the extent of increased morons in the woods. I hate seeing the small buck population increasingly wounded as the season goes on. Hold out for bigger deer people. It's like shooting a 10 year old kid

Edited by LuckyPickle123
  • Like 1

Seems they close gun during the rut or postpone to after to limit buck take.. like was observed last year in wny with the snowstorm... thus the reason for more and older buck being seen and taken this year..

Maybe wait and see what the deer take numbers are from the DEC after this season to make a real decision on whether there were more deer taken this year. Basing anything off of what you have noticed on Facebook is a pretty big stretch. Even more of a stretch than the DEC's take numbers will be.

I do see it in ohio for doe days and regular season, yes pressure is increased but the season it shorted resulting in high harvest that dec wants and a new batch of un pressured deer that the hunters want, hunting the rut targets bucks only as they are dumb if you will.

I could see alot of benefit to staggering seasons, and reducing the regular gun season a bit. Maybe take a week out of it in the middle. Multiple "opening days" along with moving the doe only chunk into gun season where it belongs would help greatly with reducing the doe numbers where needed IMO. I would like to see full inclusion of crossbows and a one buck rule put into place along with it. This is assuming everything else remains the same.

Wow, if reading this thread isn't proof that we are completely DOOMED as a group I don't know what else is!   It seems like a good many bowhunters consider just about every gun hunter (except themselves of course if they also gun hunt) to be a trigger happy moron.  Then they wonder why gun hunters consider them a bunch of whining cry babies??  I've said it plenty of times before.  Hunting has become the MOST selfish pastime in existence.  This thread absolutely proves it!

• Like 1

They're have been less hunters in recent years and more deer herd population over runs but dummycrats are too anti hunting to allow hunting in areas where it is needed, or to capture the deer and relocate them.

Too bad I sobered up, cuz I'd buy a couple ounces of whatever smack you're on. Capture & relocate, LoL.

• Like 1