Damn ATV

I was going to load my Honda Foreman ATV on the trailer last night . Couldn't get it started . Kept the battery up and cranked it a lot but no good . It backfired a couple times which isn't good . Gave up . Tried to start it when I got home today and still no good . I siphoned the gas out and replaced with Ethanol Free gas ..... nada ! 

Pulled some covers off and yanked the spark plug . Lots of carbon ! Cleaned the plug as best I could and re-gapped the plug . Put it back and it almost started . Scooted up to the Polaris dealer and was able to get a plug . Gapped it , (said a prayer ) put it in and voila , it started right up . I thought I was going to have to haul the Honda to Canandaigua to have it repaired . 

I was using 87 octane gas that has 10 percent ethanol and adding the Marine Formula Sta-Bil but think I will stick with the Ethanol Free gas from now on . 

Anyway , I got lucky .

• Like 2

Anytime you are done using something you own, that runs on gasoline, shut the fuel supply, after the tank and before the carb, and let the motor run until the machine dies.  This will ensure a carb that is empty, and free of ethanol gas to sit and gum up your jets.  This is really only necessary if the machine is going to sit for two weeks or more, but I do it all the time to all of my machines, excepting my cars and trucks.

Anytime you are done using something you own, that runs on gasoline, shut the fuel supply, after the tank and before the carb, and let the motor run until the machine dies. This will ensure a carb that is empty, and free of ethanol gas to sit and gum up your jets. This is really only necessary if the machine is going to sit for two weeks or more, but I do it all the time to all of my machines, excepting my cars and trucks.

If you are using ethanol gas this is the worst thing you can do the alcohol dries out rubber when it has air in it "empty bowls."

aside from the occasional o-ring, what in your carburator is rubber?  Gaskets are gaskets.  The only rubber I can think of is an occasional o-ring or the tip of a crappy float needle.  I replace all my float needles to get rid of rubber nipples and usually swith to Viton o-rings.

Stabil is not an ethanol treatment guys. It wont protect your carbs and fuel lines from the damage it does.

I use this stuff, have for years. I run ethanol gas in all of my stuff and have no issues as long as this is mixed in. I started using it after my father and I had to have 4 different carbs rebuilt and fuel lines replaced in our small engines.

http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

• Like 2

Stabil is not an ethanol treatment guys. It wont protect your carbs and fuel lines from the damage it does.

I use this stuff, have for years. I run ethanol gas in all of my stuff and have no issues as long as this is mixed in. I started using it after my father and I had to have 4 different carbs rebuilt and fuel lines replaced in our small engines.

http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

Stabil sells an ethanol treatment, I was using it in my gas jugs at home until I could get corn free gas. Edited by Jeremy K

I was using the Starbrite and the manager at Tractor Supply said the Sta-Bil Marine Formula was better . After comparing what each one does in their ads , It appears Starbrite looks like the better choice . However , I plan to start using the Ethanol Free gas in most of my small engines from now on .