Refreezing

WingNut

You guys freeze the meat, then defrost it to process and then you refreeze??  Whatever floats your boats, but that ain't the way it should be done.  If I was told by a butcher that my beef or chicken was processed that way, I'd tell him to keep it.  Granted I don't know what actually happens with the meat I do buy, but I am pretty sure the proper way to do it is NOT to freeze before you process and then refreeze again.

You guys freeze the meat, then defrost it to process and then you refreeze??  Whatever floats your boats, but that ain't the way it should be done.  If I was told by a butcher that my beef or chicken was processed that way, I'd tell him to keep it.  Granted I don't know what actually happens with the meat I do buy, but I am pretty sure the proper way to do it is NOT to freeze before you process and then refreeze again.

I tend to agree.  But, I have had no choice a time or two and was never worse for the wear.  Also, sometimes in the past I would hang a deer or two when it was <32F outside and wasnt going to get above 32F for a while.  By the time I can get to process the dear, they were frozen solid, through and through.  We would defrost them, process them, and then package them to be refrozen.  Again, never any issues or noticible difference in flavor or tenderness.

• Like 1

I have done it with  moose and caribou from Alaska, and have done it frequently with venison either from necessity or convenience..Never had any problems...

Much of the pork sausage you buy in the store has been prefrozen to eliminate danger from trichinosis and thawed before sale..

As a classically trained chef, I will tell you it is best not to thaw and re freeze. You will be ok but it will kill all the shelf life on it if you defrost it and don't eat it the same day. You are also forcing all the moisture out of the meat and could wind up with some very dry steaks

As a classically trained chef, I will tell you it is best not to thaw and re freeze. You will be ok but it will kill all the shelf life on it if you defrost it and don't eat it the same day. You are also forcing all the moisture out of the meat and could wind up with some very dry steaks

I think most of us are talking about freezing shoulders before thawing to grind.

I wouldn't refreeze steaks or chops