New to rifles

monkeyman2269

a deer can't run with his shoulder gone . It depends on the area .

Several years ago I made a poor shotgun hit on a buck. Blew off both front feet about a foot above the hooves. That thing still tried running on its stumps. A much better follow up shot ended him. I felt bad but it was crazy. He literally had dirt on his exposed bone.

What you say is true but it's not your best option. The area is smaller with some nonvital areas and of course loss of meat and cape.

You're not going to get away from losing meat no matter where you shoot the deer unless you use a bow. I would rather lose the neck meat than any shoulder meat plus the amount of meat effected in the neck is far less than a shoulder shot. I don't tan hides and they end up being thrown out so that's a mute point for me.

If it were a large deer I was planning on getting mounted then I would shoot it behind the shoulder but for all other deer neck shots for me.

If it were a large deer I was planning on getting mounted then I would shoot it behind the shoulder but for all other deer neck shots for me.

I'm not against neck shots, just not a fan personally. Your last point though is interesting. I believe in repetition. Aim for that spot behind the shoulder every time and the habit forms and avoid thinking about where to shoot.

Fwiw, you lose 0 meat with a double lung unless you eat ribs which is rare.

If you shoot behind the shoulder, thru the ribcage, roughly 1/3 will drop dead on the spot.  Bullet or caliber is not as critical as time of arrival.  If the bullet hits on the pressure stroke of the heart, the cardiovascular system can't handle the pressure shock and the lights go out immediately.  That is why some will drop with a .243, while others will run off a short distance when hit in the same spot with a 300 win mag.   The shoulder blade puts them down on the spot every time, with pretty much any centerfire caliber or bullet. 

I'm not against neck shots, just not a fan personally. Your last point though is interesting. I believe in repetition. Aim for that spot behind the shoulder every time and the habit forms and avoid thinking about where to shoot.

Fwiw, you lose 0 meat with a double lung unless you eat ribs which is rare.

I understand I wasn't trying to be condescending with my comment I'm sorry if it came off that way. I generally run my knife between the ribs and take the meat from between the ribs. The ribs don't have enough on them to warrant me taking the entire rib cage so I just take the meat between and on the outside.

If you shoot behind the shoulder, thru the ribcage, roughly 1/3 will drop dead on the spot. Bullet or caliber is not as critical as time of arrival. If the bullet hits on the pressure stroke of the heart, the cardiovascular system can't handle the pressure shock and the lights go out immediately. That is why some will drop with a .243, while others will run off a short distance when hit in the same spot with a 300 win mag. The shoulder blade puts them down on the spot every time, with pretty much any centerfire caliber or bullet.

I dropped a 3 1/2 year old with a high shoulder shot boy was he pissed when I came up on him. The .38 snub didn't have enough to put him out the rest of the way after the 4 shot. I felt so bad I was going to hit him with the .270 again but was afraid of a ricochet at 10' away. He did expire shortly after.

So yesterday I guess I shot yet another "superdeer". Double lunged a doe and she ran 150 yards on her death run. Shot another right in the upper shoulder and she dropped in her tracks.

My buddy shot his buck yesterday, double lung, and that one was apparently wearing a cape as well when he ran over 100 yards.

• Like 1

So yesterday I guess I shot yet another "superdeer". Double lunged a doe and she ran 150 yards on her death run. Shot another right in the upper shoulder and she dropped in her tracks.

My buddy shot his buck yesterday, double lung, and that one was apparently wearing a cape as well when he ran over 100 yards.

What gun are you using that "double lung" hits are 150 yd track jobs? I'm very curious... My brother and father both shot deer yesterday through lungs and they went 60 and 50yds. What bullet do you use?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I shot a doe yesterday at 35-40 yards with a .30-06 150 gr. Hornady and got double lung plus what looked like top of the heart....she did a 20 yard death run and died in front of my stand...then no less than 5 min later took a buck at over 120 yards that went liver-lung-lung I believe and he only wandered 5o or so yards before tipping over and expiring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder how much of it has to do with shot placement or the hydrostatic shock of the bullet . The shock can knock the snot out of a deer .

Yea I'm willing to bet that is a big portion of it, especially the faster rounds. I grew up northern tier so virtually all of our hunting was done with rifles and with an actual double lung hit it was rare for a deer to go more than 50 yds. I use my 25WSSM quite a lot and in my experience it puts them down quicker than my 06 when shot placement is behind the shoulder. The bullet also plays a role as some bonded bullets don't expand nearly as violent as a lot of the polymer tipped rounds.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

On the doe I shot opening day , I hit just behind the right shoulder and the bullet smashed the opposite shoulder . I didn't realize this until I was cutting the deer up and found the bullet . The seers heart was like a mass of jello .

I was using one of my reloads . CCI 200 -- 53 gr H4831 ---  117 gr Sierra SP (#1630)

post-132-0-84519100-1448329408_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-23242500-1448329450_thumb.jpg

• Like 1