Quiet Opener

Dom

I myself had a great day.Think I may have upset some other stateland hunters by setting up at 1am I made a good choice of going in super early.Not very many shots for the opener use to sound like a shooting range afew years back

Yes I did if you hunted the pieces that I do this is the only way I found to be able to have the spot that I scope out all year long.State land is used to be very busy if you waited untill 430-500 when most would be headed in you were sol.

• Like 1

Wow. At 1am, I was debating between murdering the guy snoring on the next couch over, or stuffing yesterday's boxers in his mouth.

Dude have you never gone camping or fished through the nite?I Hunt on state land and ifyou put the work in like I do scouting and finding a spot that you believe will be productive for your hunt you would see and understand why I do this.

Very quite in my area of 4P. I had a 10 point walk 50 to 60 yards from me broadside. My gun just clicked the first 3 times before he zeroed in on me as it let the last bolt slide into the tube. And again click. He was gone. I didn't clean it after siteing in in September.

Moral of the story always keep your gun clean. Never know when you will need it.

Going back to the same place just a little earlier. Not at 1 that's for sure ???? may it was quite because hunters are waiting for the right shot or that one deer. I know the antler regs here are producing some big racks. Good luck and stay safe

With my COPD, when it cold can only sit for about 3 hours, I heard two shots at first light, and that was it.  Got into the house and my wife had made me a pot of chicken soup, had a bowl and sat by the fire. Looked out about 11 am and saw a small 4 point buck, walking in the open pasture. That was it for the first day

• Like 1

I headed in at 4:20am, sat all day and didn't see a single deer for the first time since maybe ever. This is a spot I'd normally see at least 10 deer.  Very few shots heard and others reporting the same. I think the deer were mostly bedded today. It sees as though day time movement has been very low here lately.

I did see two bald eagles and also saw a bobcat messing with a flock of turkeys, but they didn't seem too worried about it.

• Like 1

Hunted 8N for the opener and I have got to say it was the slowest opener I have had in my 20yrs of deer hunting. I saw a train of 3 small bucks at first light and thought it was going to be a great day. Then I didnt see another deer until noon!! The next deer after that was at 430pm! I sat all day and saw a total of 5 deer. This is in a stand and prime property that I normally see 30-40 deer opening day on past years. There also was mininmal shooting. I counted one nearby shot between noon and close of shooting time. Crazy!

I myself had a great daify.Think I may have upset some other stateland hunters by setting up at 1am I made a good choice of going in super early.Not very many shots for the opener use to sound like a shooting range afew years back

Just to clearify why DOM did this, 1 hour south of Dutchess cty, were I live, is a place called NY City. We have to deal with them as well as or own locals. If I was a hard core deer hunter, I would do the same. You could always coyote hunt in a different spot then sit in your spot.