Opening day buck....no horns?

Tarheelsaint

Shot what appeared to be a big ole doe Saturday morning at 7:30, watched the deer jog right into my shooting range and shot it at 75 yards. Watched as deer ran 40 yards and dropped. Went just like i planned until i got up to it an hour later and saw it was a buck that had broken both sides off??? This was a nice big mature deer not a BB. First question have you ever heard of this? There is a chance this buck could no longer grow a rack i suppose but it looks more like he broke them off. Second question is how would you tag it?? I used a doe tag as there was no way to identify it as a buck on the hoof...

Years ago my brother shot an 8pt, it ran down into a ravine.  When tracking it he found one of its antlers that looked like it just shed, when he got to it the other side was laying on the ground next too it.  They werent a broken but shed with some blood around the base.  I helped him drag it out of there and it got a doe tag.   About the oddest thing I ever seen deer hunting.

If it has one antler that is 3" then its legally a buck. Less than that and its a doe...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I think it's what's between it's legs that determines whether or not it's a buck or doe..........it's what on top of the head that determines whether it's an antlered or antlerless deer.........

• Like 6

LEGALLY and literally are 2 different things. After all the question is "how do I tag it?" Doesn't matter what's between its legs as far as your tag is concerned...

oh, I thought tag asked the sex of the animal.......if you use an antlerless tag on a deer that is not legally antlered, you still have to tell them what the sex is.

oh, I thought tag asked the sex of the animal.......if you use an antlerless tag on a deer that is not legally antlered, you still have to tell them what the sex is.

Yes that is true, this is more likely the case of button buck fawns. The OP asked which tag to use in his situation. Everyone is correct with "Antlerless." I could've worded that better the first time...

• Like 2

I just returned from 14 days of hunting 8m.. 4 of us saw a total of 4  " half rack" bucks. I saw 2 of them and they were not close enough to see if the antler broke off or not. Both of these bucks looked like they would have been typical 2.5 year old 8 points. The other 2 appeared to have broken off real close to the base and had 4 and 3 points left on the remaining sides.. Curious.