Need advice on protecting my cabin

Hunter76

Hello I went up to my cabin this year for hunting and found that someone was using my well. I have it in a outhouse type building.They left there hose attached. Also left beer cans all  around. They also stole my 2 trail cameras and 3 deer stands. In my cabin I have everything but internet. Does anyone have any cheap ways to protect my cabin. I looked at sat internet but im not sure how much data live streaming a camera would use. Im in chennango county. Thanks in advance for any help

Dustin

own a camp and support the local losers. We and my neighbors at my camp, have the same problems. I have grates on the windows, deadbolts and extra locks on the doors. I have a steel shipping container for a shed, with the best cast iron lock I could find, with a 2nd security bar on the lever bars.

Make good friends with the neighbors, and I encourage family/ friends to visit and use the camp....the more activity, the less problem.

It is very difficult if you are there infrequently.Be sure to report any and all incidences, and photo document all property there. My neighbors have game cameras up(and I mean UP....20-30 feet off the ground) so they aren't easily gotten to., but I am not sure what good that does if you don't ultimately catch them in the act.

I have found the best solution is to have someone there on a regular basis..  I realize that can be hard due to time and distance, but make a friend with someone local..  Maybe give them the opportunity to hunt your property in return for keeping and eye on it and stopping there regularly.  The piece of mind is well worth it.  There are a lot of other benefits that come with having a local connection...

• Like 2

What about hiding in your cabin in the dark for a while. No cars parked etc. catch them red handed. Maybe give cops a heads up that you might be calling etc.

When I was like 17, someone was egging cars in my neighborhood every Saturday night. It was summer, so one night I hid in the woods in all black. Sure enough 2am a car pulled up and was egging each down the street one after another. I snuck out of the woods got behind the car and started banging on the trunk. Scared the crap out of them for sure. They took off but I got the plate and called it in. They were caught within 15minutes. Turned out to be 4 girls actually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

What about hiding in your cabin in the dark for a while. No cars parked etc. catch them red handed. Maybe give cops a heads up that you might be calling etc.

When I was like 17, someone was egging cars in my neighborhood every Saturday night. It was summer, so one night I hid in the woods in all black. Sure enough 2am a car pulled up and was egging each down the street one after another. I snuck out of the woods got behind the car and started banging on the trunk. Scared the crap out of them for sure. They took off but I got the plate and called it in. They were caught within 15minutes. Turned out to be 4 girls actually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it was girls,boys would be smart enough to not do it every night in a row on the same street.

• Like 1

Hello I went up to my cabin this year for hunting and found that someone was using my well. I have it in a outhouse type building.They left there hose attached. Also left beer cans all  around. They also stole my 2 trail cameras and 3 deer stands. In my cabin I have everything but internet. Does anyone have any cheap ways to protect my cabin. I looked at sat internet but im not sure how much data live streaming a camera would use. Im in chennango county. Thanks in advance for any help

Dustin

My cabin was broken into a few years ago. It could have been worse but we lived through it. The Delaware County Sherrif's office has a program that will check your property while you are not there. It's free, just call and register your property and they will keep an eye on it. They will also give you two signs that state this property is under survalliance of the Delaware county Sherrif's office.

you have to put in time there. i have  camp in a somewhat rural area.

-As others mentioned get to know the neighbors.

-Join the local gun club(if there is one) - i did that and now when i go there they remember me

-Go to local diners for breakfast - talk to people, after a few times people started to recognize me and say " hey your that guy that owns....."

talk talk talk - technology like cameras can't solve everything

I don't think there's a full proof way. Be friends with the neighbors, don't piss off the locals and make things difficult for them. Gate at the driveway. Maybe keep a small radio playing. I actually knew someone who had loud radio playing, ran it off of a small solar panel.

Edited by Taylormike

As others have said, make friends.. We have a guy who lives across the road. We pay him to mow grass and do some small improvement projects. He watches the property like a hawk..

Another friend of mine did the same thing with his neighbors in Delaware County.

He became such good friends with everyone, that he has local status. My friend is a well to do attorney and has even helped local kids by buying them coats, reuniting gear and always gives advice. He started by hiring the neighbors son to mow the grass....

I have a neighbor that patrols the area and keeps the criminals out. Put security stickers on your windows. Mount cameras to video the inside and outside of camp. On the internet you an find cheap motion detected alarms. Mount a few inside the cabin. 

if you can't be there often, trail cams in good hidden spots that will capture license plates. Even fake cams can do wonders to ward off d-bags. Put a few at the corners and door even if they don't work. motion sensor lights as well. be sure you report the robbery as well. cops wont find anything but its good for insurance and police to have so they can monitor more frequently or possibly recover your stuff if the guys are busted elsewhere.

Satellite internet service sucks, especially for upload speed, which is what you would need for a surveillance camera system that you want to view remotely. The systems are pretty inexpensive, but you will choke the internet connection. You would still be recording to the DVR, youll just have issues viewing remotely.

It's sad that people have to worry about others messing with there stuff. I had my camp broke into once. Must have been kids! They took my extension cords, the battery out of my 4 wheeler, the motor off my air compressor, and my chain saw. So I went to walmart and got some of them window door alarms! There pretty inexpensive. And put them on the shed door and cabin doors. Found the shed open the next time I went down. But just enough to let the alarm go off. Battery was dead. But I bet it scared them and they just beat feet. I haven't had a problem since. Knock on wood. Hope this helps. It's worth a try.

An outdoor siren(on roof peak) wired  to connection break alarms on all windows and doors...just let local cops in on how to access turn off...The alarm will scare them ...plus motion lights up on poles or any inaccessible high area will light them up...Any locals will tire of siren and call it in to police....

Now I have to ask what others haven't....Did you get your water tested before using it again ...after seeing a hose attached to well? Was the actual well accessible in this building? The housing cap tampered with?

Edited by growalot