Venison processor never again

Chef

Let me start this out by saying that I have used the same possessor for a few years now and am over all very happy with the work that they do....... I just feel that I can do better!

Between me and my buddy we have brought him 3 deer already this year but the next one I will be doing on my own. I have never done it Before but being a trained chef I have broken down Many lamb and veal legs before. How different can it really be. Hang deer skin deer remove back straps and tenderloins. Take of front quarters , take of hind quarters and bone out the neck. The neck is the only part im not so sure about but who cares I will be tying roasts out of it any way. Does anyone have any advice or think I am missing anything. I feel like if I set up a assembly line and have my buddy package and my fiancé us the vacuum sealer we can be done in about two hours.... Does this seem about right ?

• Like 3

I butcher my own every yr. this started many yrs ago. There is a few tricks. Age the meat. Trust me. I am very picky about hair too. Make sure u get all the silver skin u can off. That's what gives it it's gamey taste. I'm sure there more but that's a start

Edited by nodeerhere
  • Like 3

Nice vid jimmac. I have been doing this myself got many yrs. that's a good info vid. A couple things I've learned threw the yrs I'd also like to share. If ur not going to eat the back straps right away I like to leave the silver skin on them until I'm ready to cook. Them I defrost them and clean them. The silver skin helps against freezer burn. Also I like to cut the back straps in half. Freeze them like that. Cook them whole(half) and then cut them. They don't dry out as much.

Edited by nodeerhere

Watch a lot of YouTube videos. Especially surrounding removing the hind quarters-as a chef you may be versed in This already but there are some tricky bones to work out that I always F up.

2 hours seems ambitious to me but again I am no chef. I also do it myself(no help) and am super anal about removing all things not meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've done a number of deer, it's physically demanding and I feel more time is spent prepping than actually cutting.

I use a variety of knives for the different tasks and keeping them all sharpened takes time.

Any hair that is stuck on the meat, a paper towel wipes it right off.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Watch a lot of YouTube videos. Especially surrounding removing the hind quarters-as a chef you may be versed in This already but there are some tricky bones to work out that I always F up.

2 hours seems ambitious to me but again I am no chef. I also do it myself(no help) and am super anal about removing all things not meat.

The hind quarters do not bother me, I have boned many lamb legs before and this is no different the neck roasts is the part that gets me..... I will post pics step by step once we get another one and I do the processing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disposing of the parts can be the biggest pain in the azz. Where are you doing the skinning? That isn't always an easy find.......

Bringing the hind quarters, shoulders, back straps and trimmings in and sorting them takes space to. Get yourself a BIG ass cutting board.

Are you grinding?

I do a lot of bone in roasts. neck, shanks and even the front shoulder blade. makes butchering a lot easier and they all come out great in the crockpot. don't let anyone tell you that the shanks and front quarter are only good for burger. if they are slow cooked, they are literally the most flavorful cut on the whole deer. all the tendons and connective tissue turns to gelatin and add so much flavor. crockpot can be your best friend

• Like 1

Disposing of the parts can be the biggest pain in the azz. Where are you doing the skinning? That isn't always an easy find.......

Bringing the hind quarters, shoulders, back straps and trimmings in and sorting them takes space to. Get yourself a BIG ass cutting board.

Are you grinding?

. Space is not a issue. I will most likely skin and cut up the same day. I do not plan on hanging. I will maybe do some grinding but as little as possible. I have some ground already but prefer stew meat. My fiancées uncle actually just gave me a full sized freezer today so we now have plenty of room for storage! Probably have close to 100lbs in the freezer already at home.
  • Like 1