Regon 8 State Land Hunters

NYSureShot

I have hunted private property for the most part for the last 35 years.  Most of that land is bordered by large tracts of state forest.  Last year I purchased a small wood lot that also borders state forests.

Over the past several years I have noticed a decline of hunters utilizing these state lands.  Where once you could count on "the state boys"  to move the deer, now the hunting pressure is all but nil.  This past opening day there was so little shooting from the state lands and surround hills, one would think the season was yet to open.

The DEC decided many years ago to change the opener of deer to a Saturday from Monday.  This was done, "they say" to involve the younger hunters.  Back in the day, I was allowed to take Monday off from school due to buck fever. Most rural schools overlooked this and turned a blind eye. 

So...My question is, and only for Region 8 now....

What has happened over the past 10 or so years to reduce the amount of hunters using state lands? 

How many of you out there use state lands (and which ones) as their primary hunting grounds?

Those of you that forgo hunting state lands and begging onto private lands, why? 

What is wrong with hunting state lands? 

(I know that is more than one question)

I'm interested in this little survey to see if there is anything the state is or is not doing to promote a healthy herd and better experience for hunters.

Have a safe and happy holiday season all,

Tim

Edited by NYSureShot

I don't like seeing anyone while I'm hunting. I also don't like the idea of gun hunting state lands because id be un sure where fellow hunters could be.

As far as less hunters, the state land I drive by opening weekend looked like a bills game parking lot. I sure as hell wouldn't feel very comfortable walking thru them woods.

• Like 1

Def a drop in numbers in both Darien Lake and Iroquois refuge !!! Opening day there were three trucks including myself for the side I hunt , normally there's at least 10-15 trucks n guys patrolling everywhere bumping deer around ... Thanksgiving morning , today, myself n one other truck compared to 20 trucks ... Don't mind not tripping over someone every five feet , but no deer being bumped around .... Only thing I can think of is rifle is now legal in genesee county n guys must have gone to public lands where that's legal ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like seeing anyone while I'm hunting. I also don't like the idea of gun hunting state lands because id be un sure where fellow hunters could be.

As far as less hunters, the state land I drive by opening weekend looked like a bills game parking lot. I sure as hell wouldn't feel very comfortable walking thru them woods.

That is all personal as said I hunt lots of Stateland and I have yet to run into a situation where I felt unsafe or threatened everyone I have met while hunting seemed to be confident and able hunter....I do know that certain lands have different style hunter's and whatnot and that makes huge difference......

I only point this out because we have a few new hunters who I don't want to think that stateland automatically makes your life in danger when 99.99999999 percent it's not...probably more likely to get shot walking thru buffalo or roc

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why I hunt private land ? Well we own some of it but I mostly hunt wife's cousins farm . We manage , post and control what is taken and by what methods . I have many stands, huts, blinds and cameras and don't worry about any of them being taken or used .

We bush hog trails and fields. I don't have to worry about someone else " being in my spot"

Or " messing up my hunt", we get a couple dozen dmaps from the dec.

By hunting it lightly and being smart, gun season can be a lot like bow where I hunt .

None of that could I do on state land.

State land hunting has become the victim of rumors, old wives tales, and just plain BS in general regarding safety. The word is that state land is all shot out and that all the crazies hunt there (as if privately owned land automatically makes all the hunters there any more safety conscious). It is also assumed that all state land is more over-run by hunters than private land and a decent buck cannot be found there. That story has been sold completely, and people totally have swallowed it.

Well all that may be true in some public hunting lands, but where I hunt (8N), I am over on state land being bored to death, feeling kind of lonely listening to some crazy shooting across the road on private land where guys are filling the air with lead. It sounds like they are all clustered around one ravine shooting at each other, and even though it is some of this mystical "private land", you couldn't pay me to walk over there and hunt.

Yes, I do remember when it seemed like there was a guy behind every tree over on the state land. And maybe that did pose some kind of potential risk although in all the decades that I have been hunting there, there has never been a single shooting incident.

But anyways, we could use a bit more pressure to keep the deer on their feet. But it seems that everyone is absolutely convinced that all state land is a "no-man's land" and those that step foot on it will likely be killed before they get out of the parking lot. Ignorance rules!

• Like 2

I hunt on the border between of 8s and 7r for the last 15 years or so. When I started hunting there, you would see hunting camps parked all over on the sides of the roads everywhere. Usually with several trucks at each location. It was like a tailgate party with banners hanging welcoming hunters. We always stayed at a local hotel. The last couple of years, they all suddenly disappeared. We couldn't figure out what happened. I searched online for camping regs on state lands, and I noticed that camping is prohibited within 150' of roads and trails, unless it is in a designated area. Also camping for more that 3 days requires a permit. I'm not sure if those rules where always there or not, but for everyone to suddenly stop within a year or two, they must've started to crack down and enforce the regs for the campers. I believe that this has really caused the largest reduction of hunters on the state land that I hunt on.

I hunt only state land and kill more than the average guy with private land. Yes it can take more work, it does involve scouting other hunters but it can be phenomenal if you know what you're doing. Some parcels may as well be my private property as I've never seen anyone else hunting them during archery and I see a lot of deer. This year I've seen 9 different bucks all on state land. Would I love 150 acres to myself? Who wouldn't!? But I don't have it so I make do with what I have. I agree with above posts, hunter numbers are absolutely declining and state land is not what most make it out to be...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I hunt 8G state and fed land always except opening day. I've only been hunting 5yrs so I don't know how busy it used to be there. It does seem like the area could use more guys most of the time. Yesterday I only saw one guy near me on the Tonawanda refuge but heard tons of shots from private farmland to my west. Must have been a group driving the deer successfully.

I think the public spots I've been on have lots of deer but they can hide easily and most people ( me too pretty often ) won't go in far and deep enough into cover to find them. We're all a bit lazy sometimes. The times I've done little pushes / drives with buddies there we usually see or hear deer when we work for it.

I don't feel in danger on public land, I trust that folks are usually careful and I hunt defensively.

I'm not sure how to get more man-hours spent on state lands. I do agree people hunt less than before. That's not a good thing for us and our sport. 

I hunt 8m Letchworth and a State Forest. Bow hunting in the forest especially there is not a lot of pressure from hunters. Opening weekend of firearms season there was a fair amount of shooting and deer taken near me including a 10 point buck I was told. I felt safe the entire time. Thanksgiving A.M. and Black Fri. were very quiet. I walked some yesterday morning and never saw a tail. I don't know if there are less hunters,less hunters walking,less drives,less deer or all of the above but I see less deer and hear less shooting and so far have had a very frustrating season.But I will try again soon.

It just seems to me that the amount of pressure has decreased over the last 15 or so years from Cameron State Forest in 8T  We once depended on the state boys to nudge the deer to us. 

Times Change.

Off to Urbana State Forest 8P Wendsday to see what I can scare up. 

The attached photo is of a bruin I shot over by Cameron State Forest.

post-5601-0-05737900-1448933806_thumb.jp

Edited by NYSureShot