Do any of you choose slug gun over rifle?

Billdogge

Nope. No reason to. I don't care if I can only shoot 60 yds, I'll still take a rifle over shotgun any day. In fact I don't deer hunt with a shotgun at all anymore. Rifle or muzzleloader/Ruger Redhawk .44Mag

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Edited by chrisw
  • Like 2

There is something about being able to pick the particular hair on the deer that I intend to hit that adds an element of confidence. Well that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. I just like the precision.

However, I can understand that there are probably a lot of guys who have a lot of experience and confidence in their shotguns. Also, in our case the rifle law is relatively new. It is very possible that a lot of people may have just invested a pile of money in a new shotgun, and they are not willing to turn around and buy some new rifle now as well.

My big thing is that I got tired of turning my shoulder into hamburger every time I wanted to do some shooting with my deer gun. I don't like that and now I don't have to put up with it anymore.

• Like 3

Love my 20g h and r ultra slug with thumbhole. Tack driver and not bad on shoulder at all. Have a 3030 and will hunt more with it next season but i have zero concerns with the slug tosser. Only thing I am missing is a real long range bomber. Havr a 7mm rem mag but havent shot that in 5 or more years and would rather a smaller caliber for deer.

IN 2009 I switched from using a Rem 870 12 gauge with a rifled barrel & Red dot scope to a CVA Buckhorn .50 caliber muzzleloader with a 3 x 9 scope. First season with a mix of carrying both the 870 and CVA depending on mood.  since then the  870 hasn't been shot. (It's a dedicated slug gun that I never change over to a field barrel).

When Ontario County allowed Rifles, I stuck with the muzzleloader, even though I have a Rem 700 SPS in .308. 

My oldest Daughter started hunting last year, and I got her a Mossy 500 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.  It's a tack drive and a lot easier on the shoulder then the 12 gauge, so if I ever when back to carrying a slug gun, I would probably go that route. 

if anything - I'd upgrade to a higher grade muzzleloader, even though the CVA has put a lot of venison on the table.

• Like 1

While I do have a very accurate slug gun set up, if I can take a rifle I absolutely will.  It's simply more accurate for me at whatever distance I have.  I can say I've seen deer and thought "damn, just a bit too far away" even in thickets, while carrying my slug gun . (yes, there are spots that will open up, or fields you may skirt by) but have never said "damn, too close, wish I had a shotgun instead"

I have a Remington 870 that I have a slug barrel on with a fixed 2.5X Leupold scope. It shot well and I killed deer with it. I haven't had that gun out of the gun safe since we switched to rifle. I used to have to tell myself over and over not to pull the gun in anticipation of the recoil. Don't even think about the recoil on my Browning BAR .308. I hope I never have to tote that 870 around the woods again....

Coming from a military background and shooting competitively for years, I favored the rifle.  When I moved to a county that was shotgun-only, it's now open to rifle but 1 mile away that county is not, I started looking for a slug gun that felt like a rifle to me.  I shot my buddy's Savage 220, and bought it from him the same day.  It feels like a rifle and I'm not afraid to take a shot out to 200 yds with it.  I haven't hunted with a rifle since, and I see no need to.  It's got no more kick than my .30-06, in fact I think it's less and is just as accurate. 

• Like 2

One thing that I can't recall ever doing was going out for an afternoon target session with slugs using any of my shotguns (all 12 ga.). It just isn't fun pounding my shoulder to pieces. So I have had my .270 for only two years, and have already put way more rounds through that than I have my old 12 ga. Deerslayer that I bought in 1969 (owned 46 years). Which means that I am already much more familiar with the .270 performance. I shoot that just for fun.

Also, I am guessing that it is a lot cheaper to shoot .270, since I can reload the rifle bullets but not the slugs. So all of this stuff translates to better accuracy and ease of shooting and actually turning the shooting of the .270 into a recreational activity. I hate to say it but likely the Ithaca Deerslayer will become a loaner gun or simply a decoration in the gun cabinet. The other shotguns are already relegated to small game.

I am sitting in stand right now in shotgun zone so I have Ithica Deerslayer 20 gauge. I use the shotgun early till we get some meat built up. I can and have done a double with the shotgun. After that I go with the TC Triumph.

I have rifle spots too and take the 30-30.

I did shoot a big doe last year with the 30-30 that I did say I wish I had my 20!

I had a head on shot and I though the doe was straighter but anyway it was a close shot maybe 60 yards and hit the chest and out behind left shoulder. The bullet never expanded and just zipped through. She went a long ways. Crossed a road into shotgun zone! I had to drive home to get shotgun. Track her down and finish her off.

The 20 at that shot would have dropped her,