Stray Cats

cdmckane

Will a stray cat who has taken up residence at my mother-in-law's place affect the deer population there at all?  Reason I ask is that I haven't seen a single deer there since this cat showed up and started patrolling the field behind her garage, that I usually take at least a couple of deer out of every year.  I took a doe on 11/7, and haven't seen a thing since.  This cat showed up shortly after that.  Thoughts?

I actually had an experience with a doe and a house cat this year that I watched. Had a doe coming down a ride. She was about 40 yards in front of me. This house cat comes out of nowhere and jumps the stone wall from the field into the woods. The doe heard the cat and vise versa. The doe is looking through the brush to try and pick this thing out, the cat is low to the ground, kind of in a stalking pose. They played a 5 minute game of trying to figure out what each other were before the doe turned around with her tail in the air and walked stiffly back up the ridge. She went about 60 yards when the house cat finally scooted off, so I tipped my can a couple times and she slowly made her way back through and to the field. Pretty neat to watch.

Edited by Renegade Hunter
  • Like 1