What gives

nodeerhere

It's silly to say the rut is over....It is a dynamic event, starting about the beginning of October and ending perhaps in early January in New York. Of course there are peak periods when the most estrous does are available, usually in early to mid November, but some does come in earlier, some later, and some do not get bred in their first heat and come back in about a month later. Whenever a doe comes into heat, there are always bucks willing to accommodate her.

Kinda reminds of MYSELF when I was younger...<<smile>>..

I have a question for u I have a post up asking about this but I missed a buck on the opener on the 21st only seen a spike since then I've seen three does that have a youngin with them and idk which is momma so I Havint taken one of them I hunt over soy and noticed some new fairly big rubs near me the deer around me are pressured I hunt inside the woods 20. Yards from the food plot with thickets and quad trails all around u got any tips on how u would play it I've only u shot my first buck last year so I'm still learning

I'd get a camera on them rubs see what time he is hitting them. If there's a lot of pressure around u then it might be all night time activity. The only other suggestion I have is get in the tree stand and do all day sits. U may not see him again. And then again u may. All u can do is put as much time in as u can. And if ur hunting to fill the freezer take one of the does! They taste better anyhow!

The guys are in 8X and seeing lots of doe and young buck...They are not shooting doe or young buck...I passed 5 mature doe, a fawn, and two huge button bucks this afternoon in 8N...Waiting on what the guys do tomorrow...We are not lacking in daily shots here.

I hunt 8X and have seen a lot of deer but I haven't seen many people passing on deer. My friends on facebook all hunt 8X and 8T right on the border of the WMU's and they seem to be dropping everything that walks.

8N I have seen and heard of people holding out and showing some discretion although my FIL's neighbor shot a 1 1/2 year old 8 point. He would have been a true stud in 2 years this thing was already a 60" 8 point and only 1 1/2. O well there is still a slammer up there hopefully no one gets him and he is a B&C next year.

Not much shooting in the 8X area our camp is in ...from what the guys said,compared to past years there are a couple of camps way bigger than ours around us...but a few have new ownership.... guy below us had a divorce forced sale...so that could be one reason..don't know who moved in.....but past years the valley sounded like a full on assault was taking place..the deer were moving then! Lol

Breeding phase of the rut. In our area the chasing phase slowed way down early in the week. I saw some bucks mid and late in the week, but they were mostly hanging with single does. Every scrape I checked was dead by mid week. Sure sign that chasing has ended and breeding is going on (AKA Lockdown).

I said it before gun season started, the rut was gonna slow way down just before and as gun season started, and thats exactly what I saw in our area.

The guys are in 8X and seeing lots of doe and young buck...They are not shooting doe or young buck...I passed 5 mature doe, a fawn, and two huge button bucks this afternoon in 8N...Waiting on what the guys do tomorrow...We are not lacking in daily shots here.

Huge button bucks? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The "2nd" rut is in now i think. my neighbor in 8P shot a beautiful 3.5yr old buck chasing a doe yesterday morning,  she also saw an even bigger buck on a doe shortly before that as well.

They keep out of the woods, and hunt only a time or 2 during the week. and deer sightings every sit. 

The key is to keeping pressure off these deer.. Its proven, the #1 thing to push deer away or make them go nocturnal is human pressure. There either gonna hold up until dark and or go somewhere where they are not pressured and feel safe. 

• Like 1

So I haven't been out since Sunday evening. I go out for an hr this afternoon. Was hoping they might be hungry and want to move a bit! I was wrong. No deer! No shooting! And now the camera has dried up! It's going to be hard to get up sat morn! Any words of advise guys? Cause I could use sum! I'm thinking in going to get skunked with the gun this yr. it's been along time since that happened.