Staying Warm

WingNut

Who has some tricks to staying warm?  No interested in the typical stuff, Layers, Hard and Toe Warmers, Trying not to Sweat.....

Who has unusual but useful ways of staying warm at the 5+ hour mark.  When it's 25-30 deg or colder I'm having a hard time making it past 3-4 hours.  My routine is dressing as lite as possible until heading into the woods.  I even wear sneakers and change my socks until I'm ready to head into the woods.  

I purchased a Cabela's heated vest. Best hunting investment I have made. I wait until I get cold to turn it. Doesn't take long to make me nice and toasty warm. The Battery lasts 2 hours on high so if you are warm enough until hour 3, you should be fine making it too hour 5. I purchased two extra batteries

• Like 1

Usually feet is what makes most people throw in the towel, the trick for me and my feet never get cold is i use 2k gram knee high rubber boots (needed as i walk thru a stream to get to a few of my stands. First i put on a thin dress sock and then put on socks made from Alpaca (thats the key ingredient, alpaca no other sock will do). This combo has been working for years. For the rest of my body including my head is lots of layers. I walk to stands minimally dressed, then put on layers in stand once i have cooled down.

The heater body suit is what keeps me on stand all day with no issues.  I still wear 2 layers of long johns, 3 layers of shirt and a light jacket, then tuck into the cacoon of the heater suit where I use the chemical toe warmers, hand warmers and a few warmers on my legs. My circulation is not what it used to be, but this keeps me hunting all day.

I got the really good Cabelas first layer thermal skin then wear two more layers and my coat...pants same thing and over pants. Boots...finally figured them out...1000grm Rockies...but using a "regular" sock my feet would be freezing in an hour. I switched to using a womans dress sock( synthetic) and very very thin...Now my feet stay toasty warm all day long. Tried a very very thin wool dress sock too it works well..plus ALWAYS put them on the boot dryer each trip in. Hands thin gloves and a hand warming muff.

I got the really good Cabelas first layer thermal skin then wear two more layers and my coat...pants same thing and over pants. Boots...finally figured them out...1000grm Rockies...but using a "regular" sock my feet would be freezing in an hour. I switched to using a womans dress sock( synthetic) and very very thin...Now my feet stay toasty warm all day long. Tried a very very thin wool dress sock too it works well..plus ALWAYS put them on the boot dryer each trip in. Hands thin gloves and a hand warming muff.

C"mon Grow you're always "in warming up " and" drinking coffee" :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Keep those kidneys warm ,either with a heated vest or I use the sore muscle patched that stick to your body placed over your kidneys

I also put those on my lower back (near kidneys) and middle of my chest close to heart.

keeping my neck warm is also helpful. I like the neck warmer with a seperate hat so just my ears are exposed

Under Armour Base Layers.

I have the 2.0 for hunting in NY and the 4.0 for when I hunt extremely cold temps.

I've used the 4.0 in negative temps and be fine outside all day. The 2.0 works fine for me in NY down to single digit temps. I can sit dark-dark.

By the way, I hate the cold and hate being cold.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Under Armour Base Layers.

I have the 2.0 for hunting in NY and the 4.0 for when I hunt extremely cold temps.

I've used the 4.0 in negative temps and be fine outside all day. The 2.0 works fine for me in NY down to single digit temps. I can sit dark-dark.

By the way, I hate the cold and hate being cold.

I never get too cold even on a dark to dark in cold temps. I actually like the cold.  Wiggle the toes once in awhile. Currently wearing Smartwool bottom and top but just requested UA 4.0 for Christmas as per your and others recommendation.  Can never have too much cold gear IMO

• Like 1

When you have as many cams as I have...telling you where and when they are moving...only a fool wouldn't enjoy a warm home and a cup of coffee during lull times...great thing about hunting out your an front yard,as it were...wink

Grow no offense on this, but I know I have more cameras than you, and trust me when I say this...cams don't catch the whole story. I've seen it too many times with my own eyes.

Your are right on that Phade...I once tracked a bear in snow across our place...he was on a deer track actually...both managed to walk behind every single cam I had on those two parcels...I'm talking literally behind them...by mere feet..lol...but years experience let's me know movements on this hill. Variables being who's hunting where...road tells me that..and house lights...what and where the mature doe are or doing...and buck picture ...Times and direction...mature deer here rarely change unless pushed...or the snow forces movement to feed...Well we all know THAT'S not an issue this season.

Edited by growalot

Who has some tricks to staying warm?  No interested in the typical stuff, Layers, Hard and Toe Warmers, Trying not to Sweat.....

Who has unusual but useful ways of staying warm at the 5+ hour mark.  When it's 25-30 deg or colder I'm having a hard time making it past 3-4 hours.  My routine is dressing as lite as possible until heading into the woods.  I even wear sneakers and change my socks until I'm ready to head into the woods.  

The "typical stuff" is #1…Dress in layers. but do it right. remember that you want a base layer and then a layer on top of that to suck the sweat away.  1 or 2 layers of under armor with cotton or polyester over that. Then your heavy  hunting clothes.. Wool socks as the first layer with cotton socks over them to suck the sweat away from the wool. And keep your neck warm….Wear a  warm knit hat and a neck gator or scarf.. a warm head and neck make a huge difference...

• Like 3

The "typical stuff" is #1…Dress in layers. but do it right. remember that you want a base layer and then a layer on top of that to suck the sweat away.  1 or 2 layers of under armor with cotton or polyester over that. Then your heavy  hunting clothes.. Wool socks as the first layer with cotton socks over them to suck the sweat away from the wool. And keep your neck warm….Wear a  warm knit hat and a neck gator or scarf.. a warm head and neck make a huge difference...

Hmmm!  I can see were a second base layer of cotton or polyester would be a benefit.  Alpaca Socks.... my 1000 gr Rocky's are on the older side.

Good stuff, thanks all.

My outermost layer has to stop the wind, that's the trick for me.  No matter how many I layers I pack on, if the outermost layer is not a windbreaker, even the smallest breeze will wisk away your heat, slowly but enough over time to freeze your ass.

I wear a skin tight synthetic base layer, something like UnderArmour base top, then over that a looser synthetic top from Nike.  Over that I wear an old polyester knit sweater, it's loose and full of holes, but it serves to create space to trap warm air.   Over that goes a fleece jacket that zips up high around the neck and that has fitted sleeves (to trap more air).   Finally over everything I put on my windbreaker - this season I'm using a Gorka 4 suit, it's a little noisy but it's very tough and it definitely stops the wind.   

Even when there's no wind, there's wind.   Keep moving air away from you, stay warm.   

If you are hunting from the ground get yourself a small pop up blind if you are hunting out of a ladder stand you should enclose it with likewise material, now go get a small propane heater for it. I just came back from Saskatchewan Canada and that's what they use. I was in a small wooden box on the ground and all had heaters in them but have seen the set-ups that I just mentioned. I personally did not use the heaters as the coldest day was "only" 14 degrees. its gotta be around zero for me to turn it on.

I did buy one piece of equipment for bow season this year. It was a Dewalt heated jacket. It solves a major cold-weather archery problem. I the past I always had to dress up like the Michelin Man in order to stay warm, and then it always screwed my shooting form and clearances with the bow. problem solved with this purchase. The jacket is quite thin and yet will keep me on stand. No, I didn't get a chance to use it for bow season, but it did get a test run during this gun season and will be used during bow season next year. They work!