Ozonics

BBDEric

I am sure there has been a tread on this. I am considering buying one for next season. I understand you can never eliminate all scent and to hunt the wind. Just want to gain enough time to get a shot off when that buck comes the wrong way or the wind is shifty. I have heard a mixed bag of opinions. Anyone have one and what's your thoughs?

Ozone needs time and volume to be effective - and then it works great.

Neither is available with a low output machine(ozonics) in an open uncontrolled environment like over your head in a treestand. Will be somewhat effective in a blind. They are selling based on anecdotal observations and paid endorsements - same way ScentLoc did when 1st marketed. Ozonics (and Scentloc) could have their product tested scientifically for effectiveness for a fraction of the cost of the paid endorsements. Positive results would send sales thru the roof and remove all doubt. Neither do/did and it is for one reason only.

• Like 1

Gimmic, ozone is to hard to keep in an area, might work in a blind, oh a deer walked down wind of me and never smelled me, they ate 40 yards down wind your stand is 25 ft high, scent rises from body heat before it falls so their scent is going right over the deers head regardless of ozonics.. keep clean don't use scent soap or if you do use an apple scented shampoo, and put your stand up and place it down wind of where you expect to see deer and you'll see more ,harvest more than ozonics could ever do for you and at no cost.

• Like 3

I am sure there has been a tread on this. I am considering buying one for next season. I understand you can never eliminate all scent and to hunt the wind. Just want to gain enough time to get a shot off when that buck comes the wrong way or the wind is shifty. I have heard a mixed bag of opinions. Anyone have one and what's your thoughs?

I would like to get one and try it as well. If it wasn't such a steep price I would have already done so. Everyone says play the wind etc but we don't all have multiply stands to choose etc so its hunt in the wind or stay home. These threads all wind up the same way. Everyone that doesn't have an Ozonics says they won't work, are a waste of money, a gimmick....etc. Seems as if you really research it 99% of the people that own them believe in them. You don't see used ones forsale in any of the classifieds or on ebay so the people purchasing them must be keeping them. If you do get one I would love to hear your honest assessment of your findings. I would assume the poster that said to PM and he/she would tell his finding will tell you it works great but if he/she posts that hear they will be ridiculed.

There is nothing you can buy that will keep a deer from smelling you, if they are downwind. So you keep the wind in your face as much as possible and set up so the deer won't like to be behind you ie, an open area. ravine, water, rocky drop off or some type of obstruction. Set up downwind of where they are "likely" to travel, to give yourself the best odds. But no setup is foolproof. And that's why it's called hunting! Getting busted by deer is part of hunting! No matter how careful you are or what you buy, you won't beat a deer's number one defense, their nose. This is where experience and woodsmanship helps boost your odds in the deer woods. 

• Like 1

I've had numerous deer as close as 25 feet of daughter and I in ground blind downwind of us. None of her clothes were scent washed. Would this thingy help... Maybe but can't see dropping any scoot on it. I can buy under armour hunting clothes at cost. Their whole selection is scent free stuff with price reflecting it. So still refuse to pay even cost I'll make do with what I have. One of the deer in close, downwind. Never spooked

post-4567-0-86396000-1449073622_thumb.pn

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I don't care how small a piece one hunts, there is a way to correctly hunt it for the wind.

These hunt the wind comments drive me nuts. Should you do your best to hunt the wind? Of course. Will this allow you shots at deer? Of course. But a mature buck during the rut can and will do anything. You should be prepared for them to come from anywhere, and doing my best to control my scent and have stands with good thermals is your only hope of still getting a shot.

Even more true during gun when they're moving with the crosswinds, however you have an advantage of not needing them under 30.

One friend of mine started using it this year and so far he says he's seen a difference. Personally, I don't like the thought of carrying it or screwing it in to each location but I do feel it could scientifically work. But I also wonder about the safety of it. To the guys who say "play the wind"... I agree but even when you do often I let deer pass me who are eventually down wind so I'll do whatever is reasonable to remain undetected and largely I do. Deer used to "blow" and "snort" but very rarely do that now after a long routine of scent free tactics I employ. We as hunters buy some pretty elaborate equipment (from bows, to bullets, to scopes, and soaps that all have their place so it's kind of funny to hear people so quickly dismiss something that may some day prove effective. It's got to be better than the "deer view mirror" anyway lol (and no I did not buy that either).