Squirrel Hunting Dutchess County 12-5

• 2 weeks later...

Ugg, So the first couple of times I went out for squirrel I brought my 14 yr old with me. It was like having a clumsy elephant walking through the woods with you. I'm almost certain thats why I didn't see a dang thing. The last time I went out it was to the LayfayetteVille Multi Use area by my self . it was a great area and would be prime for pheasant or rabbit if I had a dog to chase them around. Some guys were out running a spaniel around and occasionally I'd hear a shot or two. Needless to say I did the old sit and wait in multiple locations and stalked around and didn't see much. I did see a couple does at one point but I didn't like the terrain there. I think next weekend I go back to Hereford minus a noisy 14 yr old. Once we get some snow the squirrels will be more desperate. Right now there fat, lazy and content. What really gets me is out in the woods I don't see one damn thing. then on the drive home I see them every where. Good exercise, not so great hunting.

it was a great area and would be prime for pheasant or rabbit if I had a dog to chase them around. Some guys were out running a spaniel around and occasionally I'd hear a shot or two.

Good for pheasants or rabbits usually mean not so good for squirrels.  Rabbits tend to like heavy brushes.  Even if you do see one, recovery will be tough.  I've shot a squirrel out of a tree in such conditions before and I got tore up by thorns trying to recover it.  Generally I've found more squirrels in open hard woods.  Areas with large oaks but not too many bushes.

• Like 1

I've hunted squirrel at Lafayetteville and a few times there have been folks running dogs, but mostly off the Wilbur Flats Rd section where the brush is thick. If you go across Rt 199 it's pretty hilly with some great overlooks for sitting and watching. Nice place to hunt. A better place IMO is Taconic-Hereford 909 acres, miles and miles of trails with many great overlooks, open fields, wet areas, and all kinds of nut trees.  Also you can drive in from multiple sides and there are many small parking areas.  If you come in from the east on Pond Gut Rd there's remnants of an old farm and numerous trails.  I've seen many squirrels and a few Deer and Coyotes out there.  The area is also great for mountain biking but you can easily get off the trails to avoid them. One of my favorite spots for air gun hunting.

• Like 2

Awesome I'm going back to Hereford when the rain let's up. So parking is ok on gut pond? If you want to roll let me know. Thanks Elko I was looking across the pond there at layfayetteville and noticed how clear it was out in the Forrest just across the road. I'll probably try there again too. Good tips! I just wish I had more time off with this good weather !!!!