Road /shooting/hunting

Dom

My first question is how many hunt near a road?Question #2how far from the road is acceptable for hunting?#3How sucssesful has hunting near to a road been for you?This crossed my mind because I have seen many stands only about 100 feet in/off road side

The tree-stand closest to the road has been the most productive one on our home farm for many years. I remember bumping (3) deer out of a little patch of brush, about 40 yards off a paved 2-lane road, at a central-Adirondack camp, about 20 years ago. In remote areas like that, the road-side growth is likely much more attractive to the deer than the old-growth forest which dominates most of the area. In more populated areas like we have at home, most hunters think they have to get as far as possible from roads and buildings. It seems like the deer might adapt to that, by sticking close. I even shot a buck out of our bedroom window during late ML a few years ago. I wont be able to do that this year as they are making it "antlerless only". Maybe a doe or better yet, a button-buck will pop up. Our venison supply is adequate now but that would really put the icing on the cake.

We have always had buck bed down right next to the road...and routinely if I want to make sure I spook any deer I want to hunt on our place at certain stand sites...I make sure I walk the road and not the trails to get to them...never fails I here deer bolt from near the culverts deeper into our place....Though some times they are on the other side of the road and do the same thing.....This is where owning both sides helps a bit ;)

How about from my pickup window while headed home from hunt?? I have seen more deer running across road while I'm leaving my spot than I've seen on the woods. I think I'm gonna start carrying a big spot light in truck and leave gun loaded window ledge would make a great gun rest. Lol.

For those who can't tell that was sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about from my pickup window while headed home from hunt?? I have seen more deer running across road while I'm leaving my spot than I've seen on the woods. I think I'm gonna start carrying a big spot light in truck and leave gun loaded window ledge would make a great gun rest. Lol.

For those who can't tell that was sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're familiar with Central Ave in Lancaster, the biggest buck I have ever seen ran down the stone staircase just past the Firestone grill and crossed the road in front of me on my way home from a hunt