Advice for calling coyotes needed!

We are being over run with coyotes! We shoot them when we see them. But want to learn how to call and decoy. I really think this could be fun after deer season, through the winter. Don't want another debate on should or should not kill coyotes. Just want some sound advice about what calls to use, electronic and mouth. What brands. And the same with decoys. Don't want to spend more than $200 to get started. We have rifles, shotguns and a good idea of where and how to set up. Any advice from experienced coyote callers would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Eastern coyotes are very skittish and leery compared to their Western cousins. I have hunted coyotes for approx. 10 yrs. I would recommend a couple of mouth calls to start. There are so many to choose from on the market. I have the Foxpro Fusion electronic call which is a premium electronic call which is out of your budget. I would look at used Foxpro FX5 models on ebay you might be able to get one around $250. or a little cheaper.

The best tips I have for you:

1) Set up downwind of an electronic call approx. 50-75 yds. in light cover. Coyotes tend to not come out in open fields in daylight hours but do occasionally to calling.

2) When using mouth calls try to have a partner set up downwind to catch the coyote circling downwind same goes for electronic call.  Both calling situations you are set up to catch the coyote circling downwind from the electronic call or the mouth caller.

3) As I stated above coyotes are skittish and leery you need to stay on stand for approx. 40 min. to an hr. I have had them come in at 5 min. but usually don't show till 20 min. +

Note: I love using an electronic call and treestands  with caller set upwind of me.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My best advice is patience. Eastern coyotes are notoriously hard to call. You'll have better luck at night. Always watch downwind as most will circle a call, I try to keep an open field or pond or something downwind so they can't circle or they expose themselves if they do. Don't overcall, wait longer than 30 minutes after each call. They are very leery at times and would rather go hungry than let their guard down it seems. Don't go out with expectations of laying waste to a coyote every stand, be mobile, if you get no action after 45 minutes or so move 1/4 to 1/2 mile and do it all over again. Its amazing how everyone thinks there are blood thirsty, deer slaughtering coyotes behind every tree in the woods and in the middle of winter you can sound like a TV dinner to these critters and..... Nothing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have never really hunted them only shot when I have seen them.I was going to try baiting them this year my choice of bait is going to the local chicken farm and seeing if I could get some of the blood and carcasses from their butchering area.I do not know if this would work but want to try it.

What's a good bait to use? I heard from an old timer that they love canned tuna... He said he used to nail cans to a tree and let all the liquid drain out

I know of some guys that use road kill deer. Not sure the process or legal requirements to acquire them, they talked about it on a diff forum. I recall them saying make sure you wear rubber gloves to handle so you don't put your scent on it

How many have you guys killed?

There are two of us that hunt this property. We average three or four each a year. All are chance encounters on over 500 acres. On my 50 acre lake property I average one or two a year. But I think calling, will be much more fun and exciting than chance encounters. And possibly kill more coyotes. We are also getting permission to hunt a few more local properties. Hunting them, beats sitting around and listening to them howl every night!

I use mouth calls and have an E-Caller. Used FoxPros and Flextone Echos. For a decoy I have a Mojo critter. I have used turkey calls and had them come in as well. If youre going to call at night, youll need a decent light. I use a Cyclops Sirius rechargable led light. It works pretty well.

Just a word of advice though, if you really have a problem with yotes and want to knock the numbers down, youll need to trap them.

• Like 1

In the last week I have purchased a Johnny Stewart E-Caller, a Lil' Critter motion decoy and a couple of flex tone mouth calls, that I'm learning to use. Until we get a bit of experience, we will start out on daylight hunts. Early and late in the day. Then we will start the night hunts. I'll look into the Cyclops Sirius light since you recommend it. Thanks!

Did some trapping as a youngster, not many yote's around back then. Could be another way to teach an old dog new tricks!

• Like 1