Muzzleloader pistol law question

You can buy one without a pistol permit. Mine came in the mail to my doorstep. Its when you possess the equipment to fire the gun that it needs to be on your permit. I bought the CVA optima pistol and love it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Exactly as I understand it from the regs and my licensing officer.

No permit is needed to buy or possess the muzzleloading, or cap and ball for that matter, pistol.

But as soon as you possess the means to fire it, i.e., ball, powder and caps/flint, it becomes a pistol under NY license rules and you need to have a pistol permit for it.

• Like 2

I have the optima pistol and it's an awesome "fun gun" but I haven't carried it in the woods and likely never will. It's too heavy and big to be carried as a "pistol" and you basically have to shoot it off sticks. By the time I add the shooting sticks and the gun it ways more than my muzzeloading rifles. It sure is a lot of fun to play with and is super accurate.

you can buy one for show only you don't need to have a pistol license  you can not get the fix-ens to shoot it unless you have the same caliber in a rifle  

if you have a 50 cal. pistol and a 50 cal rife you then can own the shot for them both  but if you want to shot the pistol  you must then be placed on your pistol license  

you can buy one for show only you don't need to have a pistol license  you can not get the fix-ens to shoot it unless you have the same caliber in a rifle  

if you have a 50 cal. pistol and a 50 cal rife you then can own the shot for them both  but if you want to shot the pistol  you must then be placed on your pistol license  

I have the optima pistol and it's an awesome "fun gun" but I haven't carried it in the woods and likely never will. It's too heavy and big to be carried as a "pistol" and you basically have to shoot it off sticks. By the time I add the shooting sticks and the gun it ways more than my muzzeloading rifles. It sure is a lot of fun to play with and is super accurate.

Same here, very fun and accurate to shoot but I have not taken mine in the woods yet either. Its definitely not your typical pistol feel or grip but on sticks or resting on a rail is fine. Free handing it is pretty awkward. Kind of a novelty type gun for me but one of these days it will go in the woods with me...

pretty sure that's not accurate...I can by black powder and round balls all day long with no questions asked......as a matter of fact, I recently did just that......and the whole rifle/pistol ammo thing is the policy of some stores, not the law.

Edited by jjb4900

pretty sure that's not accurate...I can by black powder and round balls all day long with no questions asked......as a matter of fact, I recently did just that......and the whole rifle/pistol ammo thing is the policy of some stores, not the law.

I believe he is saying, wich is true, that you can own a bp pistol, without a pistol licsense. Once you take posession of the means to load it, and fire it, you are in violation of the law.

If you had a rifle in the same cal. you could say the components are for the rifle, not the pistol.

Of course if you got caught shooting the pistol or carrying it, you would be in a world of hurt without a pistol lic.

Straight off the NYS Police, Division of State Police, Pistol Permit FAQs page on their Web Site:

Q - Are antique handguns subject to the same laws as those applied to modern handguns?

The Penal Law definition of antique firearm is generally applied to muzzle loading black powder firearms, but also applies to pistols or revolvers "that use fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade".

Muzzle loading pistols or revolvers do not have to be registered on a pistol permit if the owner never intends to fire them.

If they are possessed in a loaded condition or are simply possessed simultaneously with the components necessary to make them fire, they must first be registered on a valid pistol permit.

Note: Should a manufacturer begin to produce ammunition for a pistol or revolver for which ammunition had not been available previously, that weapon no longer meets the criteria of an antique weapon and is required to be registered. A pistol or revolver, regardless of age, when possessed with the ammunition necessary to make it discharge, is required to be registered.

I add the underlining.  Jaeger

Edited by Jaeger

Straight off the NYS Police, Division of State Police, Pistol Permit FAQs page on their Web Site:

Q - Are antique handguns subject to the same laws as those applied to modern handguns?

The Penal Law definition of antique firearm is generally applied to muzzle loading black powder firearms, but also applies to pistols or revolvers "that use fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade".

Muzzle loading pistols or revolvers do not have to be registered on a pistol permit if the owner never intends to fire them.

If they are possessed in a loaded condition or are simply possessed simultaneously with the components necessary to make them fire, they must first be registered on a valid pistol permit.

Note: Should a manufacturer begin to produce ammunition for a pistol or revolver for which ammunition had not been available previously, that weapon no longer meets the criteria of an antique weapon and is required to be registered. A pistol or revolver, regardless of age, when possessed with the ammunition necessary to make it discharge, is required to be registered.

I add the underlining.  Jaeger

I wonder if "possessed" is in the safe together.

I would think "possessed" means just that, you are in possession of the means to fire it regardless of where you have it.

To the one above who talked about store policy vs law, I don't think you get the point.

If you have a 50 cal muzzleloader rifle and supplies and buy a 50 cal muzzleloader pistol you are technically in violation of the law if you do not have it on a permit since you do possess the means to fire it.

Whether the authorities find out or not is irrelevant, it needs to be licensed.

• Like 2

I would think "possessed" means just that, you are in possession of the means to fire it regardless of where you have it.

To the one above who talked about store policy vs law, I don't think you get the point.

If you have a 50 cal muzzleloader rifle and supplies and buy a 50 cal muzzleloader pistol you are technically in violation of the law if you do not have it on a permit since you do possess the means to fire it.

Whether the authorities find out or not is irrelevant, it needs to be licensed.

exactly my understanding. 

can a tight pattern be achieved ? I've never heard of anyone hunting birds with a BP pistol. Is it even legal ?

Yes it is legal providing you use the correct shot size. And yes you can get a good spread, especially at the close range turkeys should be shot at.

• Like 1