Less popular

Buckmaster7600

I know many others on this site use unpopular cartridges as do I. I have always had a thing for the 35's. When I start talking guns with friends and co workers they always ask why I use my odd balls and I always tell them if they have to ask why they wouldn't understand. My 35 whelen doesn't do anything my 30-06 won't just as my 358 doesn't a 308. When I started getting into handgun hunting I never considered a 357 or a 44 instead I Decided on 10mm, 41 rem mag and a 357 maximum. So my question is what odd balls do you shoot and why?

Edited by Buckmaster7600

If I didn't reload I'd probably use a .308 Win or a 30-06  simply because of the variety and availability of factory loads available.

I am not a fan of the belted magnums.  They are by nature not very efficient, and burn a lot more powder ( along with increased recoil and muzzle blast)  in relationship to their increase in performance.  They do have their niche, which is usually best served by using heavy for caliber bullets at long range.. However, for most shooting at ranges of 400 yards or less, standard chamberings will do the same thing with less powder, commotion, expense, and meat damage.

My personal favorite...The .280 Remington.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I own a lot of deer rifles but if I had to pick only one it would be my 25WSSM... Its ballistically identical to the 25-06 but in a short action. It absolutely hammers deer. There's just something intriguing I guess about being different. If someone asks what I'm using I typically get a puzzled look when I reply or if someone gets a look at a 25wssm round most have no clue what it is or heard of it. And that opens the door to talking about guns which, who doesn't love?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Smaller doesn't make less mess! Most smaller cartridges are faster.

I opt for the rifle during late season when I tend to leave the woods to cover the fields for meat , my 06 is more then accurate to cover any field I have to hunt ,I'm just thinking if I go to a larger slower round I will lose the accuracy that I count on with a faster round ,just figured smaller with the same velocity would let me keep the accuracy .

I have a 284 Winchester 88, it is a pretty good round that is not too much different from the 280 or 270 ballistically. Real tough to get brass or ammo for. It was my Dad's rifle and left to me and while I like it ok if I had the yen to buy one on my own it would have been in a bolt action.

Al

• Like 1

I have a 284 Winchester 88, it is a pretty good round that is not too much different from the 280 or 270 ballistically. Real tough to get brass or ammo for. It was my Dad's rifle and left to me and while I like it ok if I had the yen to buy one on my own it would have been in a bolt action.

Al

Pretty similar to the 7mm-08 being a S/A chambering.

How well does that fat little bastid feed though?

Mine has fed great despite the sharp case angle, never had a single issue. A friend of mine had a winchester rifle chambered in the same and he had issues with feeding but my ABolt has been flawless.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I had a hard time finding any 25-06 cartridges in stores and if I did they were never on sale and quite pricey .

I have a 7-30 waters barrel on my TC pistol . The only manufacturer that make any cartridges is Federal . Had a heck of a time finding any .

Therefore I reload for both of those . Problem solved .

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Accuracy is more important than size.  Hit them in the right place they go down without issue. Hit them in the wrong place with anything  (including the 300's) and you get wounded animal with 3 legs or a deer dying 5 days later with no recovery.  Currently I shoot a 6,5 x 284 WINCHESTER.great ballistics with superb accuracy.Practice practice practice and any caliber will be the right one.

I have a Model 99 in .358 Winchester. I bought this gun when I was teen, used my paper route money to purchase it. I've killed probably 25 deer with this gun, a bear, a few hogs, even a turkey. It's become my go-to gun for deer season in PA & NY. My main gripe being I don't reload (yet), and shells are next to impossible to find. I hit the jackpot this year, found 2 boxes at a gun store last month, and a buddy was able to pick up 2 boxes for me at a gun show (for $45 :D). This makes 6 boxes I have stockpiled, should last me until I reload or die, whichever comes first. I've had quite a few offers for this gun, but no interest in selling it.

• Like 1

Owned a 256 Newton for a spell, first model 1916 gun.

Shot a chuck and a grey fox with it IIRC; never did take it deer hunting.

Sold it when times were a bit slow with work and needed some cash.

Still have some headstamped brass and dies; at some point I would like to own another or a 300 Newton.

Soft spot with the connection to growing up in Buffalo I guess. LOL