What is your "big woods" rifle?

buckchaser

Curious to see what folks are taking into the Adirondack woods.

This season I used a Tikka T3 synthetic stock/Cerakote finish in 7mm-08 topped with an Aimpoint Micro H1.  I really like this setup as the T3 is a light rifle, the 7mm-08 is a powerful cartridge, and the Aimpoint is lightning fast on target - nothing is close.

I have used a Browning BLR as well and it does have faster second shot capability - but to be honest I have found I am probably faster on target for the first shot with the Tikka T3.

post-5362-0-22272500-1449717708_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I killed my buck this year with a tikka t3 in 30-06 with a 17" barrel I also have a t3 in 35whelen with an 18" barrel. My favorite big woods rifle would be my 7600's not as light as my Tikkas but they Cary a lot better and faster follow ups. All my big woods rifles have leupold vx2 compacts 3-9x33's. My favorite big woods cartridge would be either 35whelen or 358win.3d3f9293ff7418cc86c8261f6fa23458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 3

I take my 30-06 and 30-30 but my prefered gun is the Model 94AE in 44 mag.  Not that you cant shoot past 100 yards but I typically find most shots are less than 50 yards and the open sights make it easy to get on target with little recoil follow up is as quick as you can reload.  When I hike in deep it's a blessing.  I use to think the great scope and long range was needed but found in reality my hunting is up close and personal so long range and scope is just excessive weight that is not needed but nice to have just in case an open area shows good sign. 

You must have customized those T3s in terms of barrel length and caliber - takes a bit of weight out of the rifle too.

How is the muzzle blast with the short barrels in powerful calibers?

I cut almost all my barrels before I ever shoot a gun so if it's bad I'm used to it but they have never bothered me. I have a 30-06 7600 and that has a 16.5" barrel on it is "jumpy" with recoil but never noticed a big "blast"

• Like 1

I cut almost all my barrels before I ever shoot a gun so if it's bad I'm used to it but they have never bothered me. I have a 30-06 7600 and that has a 16.5" barrel on it is "jumpy" with recoil but never noticed a big "blast"

May seem like a dumb question but I'm kind of intrigued. What is the gain of doing any barrel shortening? I thought I understood why people did it with shotguns, but could be wrong there too. But what is the gain on a rifle if you could explain...thank you

• Like 1

I think 22" is short enough for a barrel.  I just get them in a thin contour.  Weight savings and handling are usually the objective with a short barrel.  But less velocity and more muzzle blast are the costs.

I like my Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and I also use a Leupold Compact 3-9x33 scope.

post-177-0-64450000-1449786884_thumb.jpg

Rem 700 .280. I've also used a 12ga 870, but what I'd love is a Rem 7600 in .444 Marlin. I think it would be a great big woods gun but also be legal to use in Ohio.

I'll go one better and say the Rem 760, 30-06 ... I like the older model pump better because it has the same feel as my old Rem 870 Wingmaster... not sure why I haven't gotten one yet... maybe because I need another gun like I need a hole in my head. My buddy lent me his for a few hunts some years ago... I took a nice 8-point in the ADKs, and 2 bucks in Maine with it... the thing was a tack driver.

May seem like a dumb question but I'm kind of intrigued. What is the gain of doing any barrel shortening? I thought I understood why people did it with shotguns, but could be wrong there too. But what is the gain on a rifle if you could explain...thank you

My first deer rifles were a 760 carbine 18.5"and a ruger compact 308 16.5" a few years after I bought a tikka and felt like the barrel got caught on everything so I did some reading and decided to make it a carbine with a hacksaw the first attempt failed that's why it now is 17ish inches but I have done a lot now and am pretty good at it. As far a velocities I have lost around 100fps with 18" tubes as to 22". The way I see it is my 30-06 minus 5 inches gets me to about 308 velocities 35 whelen to 358 winchester etc. I hear a lot of people talking about the muzzle blast and have never noticed it except in my 300wsm and that's not terrible either.

• Like 1

I'll go one better and say the Rem 760, 30-06 ... I like the older model pump better because it has the same feel as my old Rem 870 Wingmaster... not sure why I haven't gotten one yet... maybe because I need another gun like I need a hole in my head. My buddy lent me his for a few hunts some years ago... I took a nice 8-point in the ADKs, and 2 bucks in Maine with it... the thing was a tack driver.

I want a 7600 in 44mag. That short stroke and minimal recoil would be a fast shooter. But it would most likely be like my 44carbines and I tend to shoot more times that I need to because you can shoot so fast with it.

Shorter barrels also emit a more stable harmonic wave and the results are generally tighter groups.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Shorter barrels also emit a more stable harmonic wave and the results are generally tighter groups.

Also add that it's only really the magnums where you need the longer barrels.  Magnum rounds have more powder and in short barrels, not all of the powder is completely burnt before the bullet exits the barrel if the barrel is too short.

• Like 2

Maybe true when fired from a stable platform like a bench rest, but not true when fired off hand at a deer in the field.  Shorter rifles, and light rifles, are much harder to hold steady when standing, kneeling, sitting, or even when prone.

Maybe true when fired from a stable platform like a bench rest, but not true when fired off hand at a deer in the field. Shorter rifles, and light rifles, are much harder to hold steady when standing, kneeling, sitting, or even when prone.

Much harder? How much harder? 50 times? 100?

• Like 1

Maybe true when fired from a stable platform like a bench rest, but not true when fired off hand at a deer in the field. Shorter rifles, and light rifles, are much harder to hold steady when standing, kneeling, sitting, or even when prone.

I carry my rifle for 99.99999% of the season and shoot it at a deer for .00001% of the time usually at moving deer so light and handy wins out for me every time. If I hunted out of a blind that I drove my truck to I would use different rifles but while wandering through the adk's for miles a day a short light rifle will be in my hands.

• Like 1

Much harder? How much harder? 50 times? 100?

Lets put it this way, if you are the average rifleman, and you're trying to put a bullet through the heart of a deer at 200 yards, with an 18" barreled 6 pound rifle, you're going to have a much lower chance of doing it than if you were shooting a 9 pound rifle with a 24 in barrel.

That reticle will be hard to steady in a short, light rifle, especially if you don't have a steady rest.

How much harder?  Depends on what rifleman skills you possess.

I don't see any military snipers using short barreled rifles for long range work overseas.  The police use them for close quarters work, but never for long range shooting.  I wonder why.

I carry my rifle for 99.99999% of the season and shoot it at a deer for .00001% of the time usually at moving deer so light and handy wins out for me every time. If I hunted out of a blind that I drove my truck to I would use different rifles but while wandering through the adk's for miles a day a short light rifle will be in my hands.

And the majority of your shots are short range I take it.

Lets put it this way, if you are the average rifleman, and you're trying to put a bullet through the heart of a deer at 200 yards, with an 18" barreled 6 pound rifle, you're going to have a much lower chance of doing it than if you were shooting a 9 pound rifle with a 24 in barrel.

That reticle will be hard to steady in a short, light rifle, especially if you don't have a steady rest.

How much harder? Depends on what rifleman skills you possess.

I don't see any military snipers using short barreled rifles for long range work overseas. The police use them for close quarters work, but never for long range shooting. I wonder why.

Military snipers shoot of rests or bipods, you are contradicting yourself when you talk about how a "longer heavy gun" is easier to hold steady than you use someone who only shoots from a supported position as an example. At ranges that I am willing to take an unsupported shot there is minimal difference in a light vs heavy gun if I was taking alot of 500 yd free hand shots I would use a different gun and a weighted shooting jacket with a loop sling but that would be about as practical as taking 500 yds standing shots at game.

• Like 1

What makes a rifle a "Big Woods" caliber? The term woods in itself usually means shots under 150 yds ( most times less then 100 ). I have never been in the 'woods' where I could see more then 150. My 7mm-08 is more then enough for a deer in all the areas I hunted this season north and south. I can't see more then 100 yds in any of them. Would I use that rifle to try and hunt bear? Nope. I would get a 7mm Mag or a trusty -06.

So....................

What is a "Big Woods Rifle"?

• Like 1

Only shoots from a supported position? You don't know much about military snipers I guess.

As far as your gun choice, suit yourself. Makes no difference to me.

Yea I don't know much about them, did 8 years in the marine corps with a little over 6 of them as a sniper with 2 trips a Afghanistan and 1 to Iraq. Nope don't know nothing about military snipers. I can promise you that if I ever had to make a fast shot it was with my m4 and the long gun stayed on the pods.

• Like 2