Something to think About

nyantler

Not sure why... but this thought entered my head a bit ago. We have been hearing from many, many, hunters about the lack of deer they are seeing this season... most of them questioning the DEC's assessment of the deer population and complaints about the number of does being killed and tags being given maybe causing the lessening population. But, in all the talk about the lack of deer I didn't hear a single hunter say that they would be okay not filling their tags. Seems to me if a dip in the population is what you think the problem is you wouldn't be working so hard to add to the problem by going all out to fill tags. I'm not sure I agree with the lessening population thing, but I found the lack of hunters willing to personally not fill tags to keep from continuing the "population plunge" interesting.

• Like 2

I mentioned that I won't be filling DMP's, in post #140 of the "Possible reasons for a bad gun season" thread. I've read posts saying similar things, by at least one other member.

Yeah... I wasn't really referring to anything going here as much as hunters on other hunting pages and other forums. Seems to me that hunters on this forum tend to be more responsible than elsewhere. Oh NO... I can't believe I just said that! :)

• Like 4

I let 1 early Muzzy doe shot on 800 acres before i really noticed the lack of deer. 1 and only taken here for this season. Drove out a 50 acre brush chocked corner 3 times this year. 1st time 3 yotes..second time nothing and 3 time 2 yotes. Not a single deer in any push and this is a known fawning in summer and bedding in fall spot. Not Good!

I let a doe walk on the opener even though I have a doe permit.  I'd take one now if I get the chance though.  There are some nice bucks around my place.  People keep reporting seeing them.  But they are staying in areas where they will not get shot.  They're smart enough to know where they're safe after a few days.

I never use all the tags available on my land and the local farms I hunt, due to lack of deer.. If I could get everybody else in the neiborhood to get on board our herd may recover..instead , every yearling buck and doe they have a tag for is shot.. And the bitching continues...

• Like 3

I hunt public land, so I really don't know the impact of me not filling a tag will have on the deer population, as someone else will likely take said deer, and since the area I mostly hunt is unlimited tags, the only limit is how determined said hunters are to filling those unlimited tags.

What I do know, is if I don't fill my tag, I wouldn't have the excellent venison to enjoy this year. Each year, I learn to make venison better and better.

Some may not agree, but having a successful hunt(bringing meat home) plays a role in my goals of recruiting more hunters to our sport.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I haven't seen deer hardly at all this season. 

But... not filling my tags is OK with me. My daughter and I get 8 DMPs between us and my main hunting buddy gets 4. That's 12 DMPs spread over at least three regions, usually four. I / we never plan on filling them all, we just get the max because we're not sure where we'll be hunting throughout the season.

The only deer I saw close-up so far, a fawn / yearling doe, I let walk on by. I will regret that if I don't have some meat after this weekend though. 

• Like 1

At least in my little neck of the woods it's not a lack of deer, have lots of cam photos during the summer. It's a lack of deer movement! I'm all for any hunter that has a use for the venison provided by filling all their available tags. What I'll never understand is the pure "kill" mentality involved when complaining about tag-soup! I'm not a big blood-lust hunter, mainly do it for the fun & enjoyment. Could simply be the mind-set I've adapted after 50+yrs of hunting.

My situation is probably unique! Own & hunt 60ac by myself, surrounding properties have a few weekend stand hunters, so the deer aren't really pressured very much. Couple of farms near &/or adjacent fill a lot of DDPs. So I walk a fine line trying to harvest deer to fill my freezer, while pursuing those elusive mature bucks, hoping to donate at least one deer annually, attempting to keep a huntable deer population considering the local habitat, while being sensitive to those crop damage kill #s and trying to keep the whole experience enjoyable! Do try to manage the deer population on a micro level regardless of the DEC's broad claim of an over-population in my region. If the above situation were different for me, might fill all 7 tags available to me, Doubt it though!

• Like 1

Apparently the DEC is convinced that bowhunters are reacting to a perceived deer shortage, as they believe that bowhunters are fighting this problem by shooting bucks only, and are not doing their part at wiping out the deer herd through doe harvests. Hence the punitive measures taken by the DEC this year on bowhunters. So apparently the DEC feels that there is a protective reaction going on among the ranks of bowhunters. That is why bowhunters were punished this year with an antlerless only chunk of the bowseason.

• Like 1

Guys aren't hunting doe at camp...but I know if I were a real trophy hunter,I'd be out there right now. I'd be hunting as hard as ever trying to get one of the many mature doe in the area....for no one can convince me they do not know how to tell time.They set themselves up on a schedual of 15-20 mins  before and after the sunrise/set, on any given day. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

have said it so many times that I'm sick of saying it. The public areas and farms that allow hunters continue to shrink and hunters are getting smarter. Less pumpkins wandering around bumping deer. The deer are overhunted in these areas and they continue to bloom in parks and burbs. So I believe it's absolutely true that hunters are seeing less deer, not just big bucks but less deer. And I believe it true that the DEC is getting pressure about the deer eating shrubs and being hit by cars in Pitsford.

no one can convince me they do not know how to tell time.They set themselves up on a schedual of 15-20 mins  before and after the sunrise/set, on any given day. :rolleyes:

Oh, there's no question about it. Someone has leaked a copy of the syllabus out to the deer population, and has supplied them with calendars and wristwatches. Anyone who doubts that, just check my front lawn on the day following the close of the season. If there are deer grazing there, it will not be the first time that has happened.

That doesn't bother me so much as the thumbing of the noses and the raspberries. Last year one of them gave me the hoof. That was uncalled for.

• Like 3

I think people's hunting habits have changed and they concentrate more on antlerless while letting the small bucks go.  So people see less deer because of this which means, in places, there are less deer.  

I live in 8N and I am not seeing the "overload" of deer the DEC says exists and I do not seem to be finding anyone who tells me different.  

I have talked to a lot of people this year in several counties who do not seem to be seeing much.  Hell, there was a guy on HuntingNY today that said they pushed 800 acres and did not see a deer.  It may only be one guy.  But it was only 800 ACRES!

For me, it is two reasons:

1.  There is not an over-population of deer and this is just NYS marketing
2.  People are shooting more antlerless deer than ever before in exchange for letting the little guys walk.

• Like 1

I still believe in the areas I hunt other than hitor in naples it all came down to weather and lack of others willing to walk around in 50 plus degree weather. Deer don't need or want to move with that winter coat on and the abundance of food locally. I saw a ton of deer during bow season and they were seen opening day (just not by me) so I know they are there but without guys moving and keeping them on the hoof sightings are down. Again just my opinion on my areas I hunt.

As far as the stateland in naples area I can't explain that never in my 15 years hunting it have I not even gotten a shot. It was terrible and I do think it has a little to do with lack of guys moving but I ran a known bedding area I bump deer outta every year and didn't jump any this year so idk what happened there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The weather ,and deer hunter style preference played the biggest role in non sightings, here the deer were in the nastiest north facing slopes and we're not in traditional winter hunting season bedding areas as the weather was to hot! Usually cold days deer would sun themselves, think about it why would you sit ti n the sun with a fur coat on if it was 60 outside,I look for the air conditioning, 30 out yea,I'd be in the sun on south slopes.

Warm weather let hunters sit longer, and not take a walk to warm up. That plus the added fear of possibly pushing a deer to someone else was another reason for deer not being moved.

I filled my doe tag on Dec 11th.  I was starting to believe it wasn't going to get filled.

Because of antler restrictions, I let a spike and a nice 4 point, that had no brow tines, walk away.  There were reports of some nice bucks in my area and a few nice 8 pointers were taken, but overall the total take is way down from recent years.

Some will use all tags they can regardless if the area needs it or not.  As for low sightings it has been up and down on LI. for my sightings.  I have seen the deer really move and other days nothing.  Weather and rut timing seem to be a factor. 

We have taken 2 doe in a high population area and 2 bucks this season so far.  Personally it has been one of my best seasons, and I found a flat footer!  Time is short!  Bad new is the brute we where after has not showed up anymore. 

Here is a good one for ya... I've seen more deer in the ADK's this year than I've seen in 5 years combined... early season was tough but the last 3 weeks made up for it! Southern tier has been just the opposite... saw lots of deer early and few in the last 3 weeks. But, there is always the muzzleloader season!

• Like 1