And the king is dead…...

First-light

We talked about that up in camp...All year theyre so sneaky and spooky and silent and elusive...so smart...Then they just run in front of a speeding noisy smelly car and bam..Even when the rut isnt running strong..those headlights seem to put them into some kind of trance...such a shame

Reminds me of Ron Whites stand up routine where his cousin is bragging to him about going to the woods and shooting a big buck with a 30-06, and Whites response was "well I got one with a van, going 50 miles per hour with the lights on and the horn blowing"

• Like 7

If it weren't for the previous trail camera pics you'd be suspect of the road kill photo as a hoax. The deer is that big. If the G3/G4 on the left didn't share a common base he'd be an easy top 10 typical all-time for NY. Anyone know who ended up with the rack?

I don't feel like a hunter should've killed him rather than a car. To me it's just the way it is.

I live right by the area he was killed. I had my suspicions about this one. I jog past that spot every morning and yesterday looked at the marking on the road. They are exactly the same way in the picture. I did stop a Suffolk County cop and asked him about it. He didn't have any reports issued but we have village police who issued the report. That road is not something you would speed on. 30 mph, its a curve at the crest of a hill. I heard a town worker took the deer. I can confirm that today with my neighbor. I will also try to find out what it scored. I see deer on my jog all the time but never this big boy. Sometimes in the fall I'll be running and get a whiff of a real musky buck and I know he was just around……..

post-156-0-41301500-1449927225_thumb.jpg

Edited by First-light

It almost sounds hypocritical to say it was a shame that the deer died by a vehicle rather than being shot with an arrow or bullet . Never the less , it was a shame !  That buck should be mounted on a wall with it's antler embedded in a fender . Now , that would be a conversation piece .  :rofl:

• Like 1

I live right by the area he was killed. I had my suspicions about this one. I jog past that spot every morning and yesterday looked at the marking on the road. They are exactly the same way in the picture. I did stop a Suffolk County cop and asked him about it. He didn't have any reports issued but we have village police who issued the report. That road is not something you would speed on. 30 mph, its a curve at the crest of a hill. I heard a town worker took the deer. I can confirm that today with my neighbor. I will also try to find out what it scored. I see deer on my jog all the time but never this big boy. Sometimes in the fall I'll be running and get a whiff of a real musky buck and I know he was just around……..

Maybe someone hit the gas instead of the brakes?

• Like 1