Muzzle sight in help.

zeus1gdsm

Alright so I'm shooting 250grain spire points with with 2 50grain pellets of triple seven and a standard 209.

I got my 4x scope mounted so the bottom of front bell is 1inch above the bore..

I'm hitting 2.5 inches low at 25 yards. (ran out of bullets)

2.5 low will put me about 1 inch high at 100 correct? Or a little less? Based on what I was able to gather off the webs.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Edited by zeus1gdsm

The slug doesn't arch, it just seems that way since the scope is above the barrel.  The slug drops from the start and continues (as speed slows, the drop is greater over a given distance), but you sight in such that the drop is dead on at your sight-in range.  If you are 2.5" low at 25 and your scope is only 1" above the barrel, you will be shooting low at 100yds - how much, I have no idea.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

The slug doesn't arch, it just seems that way since the scope is above the barrel.  

I think it's the picture on the back of ammo boxes that shows the bullets path leaving the barrel and arching up on it's way to the target that gives people the impression that it does........

So if I am dead.on at 25 I should be fine out to 75ish then I take it....

I can turn her back up 2 inches the scope is adjusting perfectly.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

quite honestly, I wouldn't just turn it up two inches and assume that it's gonna hit where you want.....I've played with some scopes that what it said the adjustment was and what it REALLY was, turned out to be quite different......not to mention that some ammo can do different things once you start to stretch the distance.

• Like 3

Shoulder / heart.

Also, remember, a bullet from a rifle drops, then arch's to the high point and then drops again. A rifle bullet crosses the main line of sight twice. So make sure you know where the bullet is hitting at different yardage.

I posted this in another thread. I should have explained more what I meant.

Scopes are set above the barrel and the cross-hairs are set to angle down. Hence giving what some people refer to as the "arch" of a bullet. Your line of sight is still straight, but due to the cross-hairs being angled a bullet crosses the scopes line of site twice. Which is why at certain yardage you might be high with a scope before the yardage you have it sighted to. Low after.

Edited by ....rob

Why the heck were you sighting in a muzzleloader at 25 yards?  It just seems careless to sight it in at 25 yards, not actually zero it, then be satisfied with guessing the rest of the way.  Personally, I don't point a firearm at an animal until I can, at minimum, put 3 consecutive rounds less than an inch of the bull's eye.  My muzzleloader is sighted at 100 yards.

I think it's the picture on the back of ammo boxes that shows the bullets path leaving the barrel and arching up on it's way to the target that gives people the impression that it does........

Depending on your setup and the range your sighted for a bullet most certainly can and will "arc". However this is not the bullet that causes this its the slight upward cant of the barrel. If a barrel is held perfectly level then it will not cross the line of sight twice, if your setup leaves the barrel canted upwards then yes it will "arc" and cross the line of sight twice. Its physics.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The slug doesn't arch, it just seems that way since the scope is above the barrel. The slug drops from the start and continues (as speed slows, the drop is greater over a given distance), but you sight in such that the drop is dead on at your sight-in range. If you are 2.5" low at 25 and your scope is only 1" above the barrel, you will be shooting low at 100yds - how much, I have no idea.

To counteract bullet drop you are canting the barrel upward which in fact creates an arc in the bullets trajectory. The bullet doesn't create arc, the barrel does.

To counteract bullet drop you are canting the barrel upward which in fact creates an arc in the bullets trajectory. The bullet doesn't create arc, the barrel does.

You sure about that? The bullet still starts dropping when it leaves the muzzle. No sarcasm meant, just an honest question.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/shooting_tips_ballistics_0303/

Edited by ....rob

You sure about that? The bullet still starts dropping when it leaves the muzzle. No sarcasm meant, just an honest question.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/shooting_tips_ballistics_0303/

If it started dropping as soon as it left the barrel our scopes and sights would have to be on the bottom of or guns because the projectile would never cross the line of sight.

like moog said if your 2.5 low at 25 yards you'll be low at 100 yards. at 25 yards it should be really close to your sight height.  so at 50 or so yards it'll be dead on and then it'll be dead on again out at around 100 yards.  the barrel below and just shooting up to your scope's line of sight.

Yes I'm positive. You are correct that the bullet starts dropping as soon as it leaves the muzzle, to counteract bullet drop you need to point the barrel upward in order to make the bullet impact where you want (the second time it crosses line of sight). The slower the bullet and greater the distance the greater the arc. Same goes with bows. Surely you've seen an arrow arc, bullets are no different in that respect.

So I guess that article I put the link to is BS?

No it's not bs all that Article is saying is that it drops from centerline of bore and that is true but to say "it drops" is incorrect because the bullet is still on an upward path just not on the same upward path as the centerline of bore. Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 3

No it's not bs all that Artie is saying is that it drops from centerline of bore and that is true but to say "it drops" is incorrect because the bullet is still on an upward path just not on the same upward path as the centerline of bore.

Right. It travels a distance on a direct path ( called flat trajectory? ), but does not actually defy gravity and go up. Correct?

Wow, this isn't really that complicated. Apparently we don't have too many rifle or long range shooters here. If the barrel was perfectly level then there would be no arc. Unless your deer rifles are sighted in for very short range then yes your bullet is flying in an arc. In most cases your barrel is canted upward to counteract gravitational forces. Think about throwing a football, if you threw it perfectly level you'd never be able to hit a guy down the field because it would drop too quickly, you need to raise your aim above the target and drop it in. Does anyone disagree that the bullet crosses the line of sight twice?

• Like 1

Right. It travels a distance on a direct path ( called flat trajectory? ), but does not actually defy gravity and go up. Correct?

The article you posted gives you the answers you're looking for. It "goes up" because its pointed up! IE... The barrel is pointed upward.

Wow, this isn't really that complicated. Apparently we don't have too many rifle or long range shooters here. If the barrel was perfectly level then there would be no arc. Unless your deer rifles are sighted in for very short range then yes your bullet is flying in an arc. In most cases your barrel is canted upward to counteract gravitational forces. Think about throwing a football, if you threw it perfectly level you'd never be able to hit a guy down the field because it would drop too quickly, you need to raise your aim above the target and drop it in. Does anyone disagree that the bullet crosses the line of sight twice?

A football compared to a bullet is like apples to oranges.

I am not arguing, I am asking questions as to what I was taught and have read. I am asking to learn.