Muzzle sight in help.

zeus1gdsm

Right. It travels a distance on a direct path ( called flat trajectory? ), but does not actually defy gravity and go up. Correct?

never heard the term "flat trajectory" and don't think its possible. No a projectile without propulsion cannot defy gravity but an object set into motion at an upward angle will continue in an upward angle for a given distance until gravity begins beating momentum.

Think basketball shot- technically a basket that's shot from the 3 point line is "dropping" from the original trajectory as soon as it leaves the shooters hand but the ball still travels in an arch.

Sorry Chris but to arc it would have to rise above the the line of the barrel. It never does. It constantly drops from that line whether you shoot up or not. The line to measure from is the straight line of the barrel. Not some level line. That's physics.

The line to reference when speaking of "arc" is line of sight. Not the bore. You're complicating it more than you need to. After all you're aiming using line of sight...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A football compared to a bullet is like apples to oranges.

I am not arguing, I am asking questions as to what I was taught and have read. I am asking to learn.

Let's say you put a laser sighter in your barrel and put it in a lead sled and put that laser dead center at 100 yds. Now without moving the gun, fire a rd at the target. Your bullet will be low. Therefore the barrel needs to be canted slightly upward in order to hit the target, therefore crossing the line of sight the first time very close range and the second time at the target.

Let's say you put a laser sighter in your barrel and put it in a lead sled and put that laser dead center at 100 yds. Now without moving the gun, fire a rd at the target. Your bullet will be low. Therefore the barrel needs to be canted slightly upward in order to hit the target, therefore crossing the line of sight the first time very close range and the second time at the target.

Canted is a terrible term for barrel angle and leads to confusion.

Well, I am just going by what I was taught 30 years ago, and things I have read during those 30 years. I get the barrel is placed at a slight up-angle, and the scope is meant to aim down, that's why the bullet passes the line of sight twice.

What I am trying to understand is if people think the bullet jumps up as soon as it leaves the muzzle. 

Well, I am just going by what I was taught 30 years ago, and things I have read during those 30 years. I get the barrel is placed at a slight up-angle, and the scope is meant to aim down, that's why the bullet passes the line of sight twice.

What I am trying to understand is if people think the bullet jumps up as soon as it leaves the muzzle.

Don't try to understand them, they're wrong! That's like trying to understand libs and gun control. Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 1

Anyone ever hear something called the theory of relativity? Everything is relative to one another.

Bullet drop is relative to the barrel bore line. But it actually doesn't drop relative to the horizon, it's actually rising in most cases until it reaches its climax, at which point the initial force exerted on the bullet from the barrel in a slight upward angle is overcome by the constant gravitational force 9.8m/s^2

If you're in a rocket ship flying to the moon, do you notice the ship going up? Of course not, you're in the ship, it's stationary relative to you, but of course you know it's going up, but that's only relative to the earth's surface.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I think people just don't understand what is really meant by arc... The bullet can't jump above the bore centerline, its impossible. Arc is in reference to line of sight. Gravity effects all bullets at the same rate, its just more noticeable the slower the projectile is moving. ( if you sight a shotgun in for 300 yds it will have a huge arc, if you sight a high velocity rifle in for the same the curve will be much less)

• Like 1

I think people just don't understand what is really meant by arc... The bullet can't jump above the bore centerline, its impossible. Arc is in reference to line of sight. Gravity effects all bullets at the same rate, its just more noticeable the slower the projectile is moving. ( if you sight a shotgun in for 300 yds it will have a huge arc, if you sight a high velocity rifle in for the same the curve will be much less)

That's the exact point I was trying to make.

• Like 1

Anyone ever hear something called the theory of relativity? Everything is relative to one another.

Bullet drop is relative to the barrel bore line. But it actually doesn't drop relative to the horizon, it's actually rising in most cases until it reaches its climax, at which point the initial force exerted on the bullet from the barrel in a slight upward angle is overcome by the constant gravitational force 9.8m/s^2

If you're in a rocket ship flying to the moon, do you notice the ship going up? Of course not, you're in the ship, it's stationary relative to you, but of course you know it's going up, but that's only relative to the earth's surface.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Can't blame the bullet for that I drop after I reach my climax too.

• Like 2