Are ticks a concern for this weekend?

goosifer

The NY Department of Health says "Ticks can be active on winter days when the ground temperatures are above 45 degrees Fahrenheit". Anybody stick a thermometer into the ground lately? As for me, I went ahead and treated my hunting outfit with Permethrin this afternoon as the weekend highs are going to be in the low 50's. I probably should have done this at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

Ok guys I've been pretty concerned about ticks since I woke up about 3am one morning this spring at camp and had one dug into me. Picked it off and watched for a bullseye rash. Nothing! Thank god. But now if don't even want to walk around in the golden rod and stuff like I use to. My question is for those of u that use the permethrin, where do I get it? I mean can I buy it at like tractor supply and mix my own? Or should I buy the sawyer brand from like dickssportinggoods?

I'm not concerned with ticks. By all means, I dislike them but I think there not a as much as a threat as you might think. There are several variety ticks. Of those ticks, the likely hood of them carrying the lyme virus is very low. If it was that big of a problem, you would have to imagine all processors would be infected...

• Like 1

I just resprayed my clothes 2 days ago, the extra 20$ is well worth it!  After going through 500 yards of jungle in some really thick pines I am thankfull I did!  Normally I do not bother at this time of the year but temperatures dictate it.  Money well spent!

• Like 2

I'm not concerned with ticks. By all means, I dislike them but I think there not a as much as a threat as you might think. There are several variety ticks. Of those ticks, the likely hood of them carrying the lyme virus is very low. If it was that big of a problem, you would have to imagine all processors would be infected...

Forget lymes,  From what I hear if you got the rocky mountain fever you would wish you were dead. My Friend spent 2 weeks in hospital............

I just resprayed my clothes 2 days ago, the extra 20$ is well worth it!  After going through 500 yards of jungle in some really thick pines I am thankfull I did!  Normally I do not bother at this time of the year but temperatures dictate it.  Money well spent!

Yea there is no doubt it works.  Never bought the stuff until this year.  Ticks are not usually bad where I am but after picking 15-30 a day off me went and got a bottle.  Have only picked 3 off me since then...

So what is the best course of action for my hunting clothes?? Should I just let them hang in the garage? Or put them in a plastic bag ??

I'm done hunting, and there must be a few ticks still crawling on my clothes.

I once did an experiment with a deer tick I found crawling up my knee after hunting. I put it in a very tiny airtight glass tube, a medical grade one, to see how long it would live without water, a meal, or even fresh air. It lasted three months, and would 'follow' the warmth of my finger through the glass. Now, this is hardly a scientific analysis on the longevity of ticks, but it seems they can live a long time without water/feeding. If you can get your clothes into something that is truly airtight and you don't plan on using them until next fall, that might be okay. I've always been told that running clothes through a drier set on high heat was the best way to kill them if they are already on your clothes (or if you suspect some might be). Just make sure there are no scented drier sheets or anything in there, as I suspect you don't want your hunting clothes smelling pretty.

So what is the best course of action for my hunting clothes?? Should I just let them hang in the garage? Or put them in a plastic bag ??

I'm done hunting, and there must be a few ticks still crawling on my clothes.

I take my clothes off outside and then I let them hang for a day before washing and running them through the dryer. The dryer is what kills them if they are on a piece of clothing that is not covered with permitherin. I would also suggest wearing a thin thermal layer to help stop the ticks from getting to your skin.

I once did an experiment with a deer tick I found crawling up my knee after hunting. I put it in a very tiny airtight glass tube, a medical grade one, to see how long it would live without water, a meal, or even fresh air. It lasted three months, and would 'follow' the warmth of my finger through the glass. Now, this is hardly a scientific analysis on the longevity of ticks, but it seems they can live a long time without water/feeding. If you can get your clothes into something that is truly airtight and you don't plan on using them until next fall, that might be okay. I've always been told that running clothes through a drier set on high heat was the best way to kill them if they are already on your clothes (or if you suspect some might be). Just make sure there are no scented drier sheets or anything in there, as I suspect you don't want your hunting clothes smelling pretty.

Interesting: all of the reading material says ticks only last a few days without a host or moisture. But I've always suspected they are hardy little buggers. It's amazing they can follow heat. I've read they also follow CO2, even climbing up an open window emitting a persons CO2 exhales.

3 months is a serious long time.

My son left his backpack in my shed. I went in the shed 1 week later, and picked up a tick. So I know they are hardy. Where did this tick get moisture from in a wood shed ????

Interesting: all of the reading material says ticks only last a few days without a host or moisture. But I've always suspected they are hardy little buggers. It's amazing they can follow heat. I've read they also follow CO2, even climbing up an open window emitting a persons CO2 exhales.

3 months is a serious long time.

My son left his backpack in my shed. I went in the shed 1 week later, and picked up a tick. So I know they are hardy. Where did this tick get moisture from in a wood shed ????

I hear you. My experience is anecdotal only, as is yours... but I strongly suspect that they can live in a house/closet/whatever for longer than a few days. 3 months seems like a long time and I don't think that they would all live that long, but it was a surprising eye opener for me. This was an adult deer tick, by the way. I don't know how long nymphs would last.

• Like 1