Lots of false bravado on here . The difference between just finding the buck laying in the woods vs what happened here is that the dots got connected as to how the deer died and ended up where you found it.

If it was me I would give the hunter the rack. he has more connection to it then I do, I just finding it in the woods vs him killing it and doing his due diligence to find it.

And if your sure the story of the other hunter is true and you can give closure to him then it's worthwhile gesture Further more if your a hunter of any experience you should be somewhat empathetic to another hunters misfortune after all the some maybe on the other foot some day.

I agree.  And maybe if you reached out to a ECO to get his "interpretation" of events then they may just look this guy up to have a friendly chat with him to see if they cannot "convince" him to give it back.  

But every situation varies and certainly I am not there.  But it was posted to a public forum and if it was bothering me that bad I just might try (or would have tried).

Might be too late now.

He should get it back?  He lost the deer, how does that make him closer to the rack?  Because he shot it and tracked it for over a mile?  Then failed to track it the extra few grids to find it dead?  What if the other guy had trail cam pics of this deer and it ate his food plots all year?  Does that mean he has more rights than the guy who shot it?  What if that was the 3rd dead buck he found on his property that year?

These are what we call sheds.  Does not matter if the shed is 2 weeks old or 3 years.  What if the other guy has 3 years of his sheds?  What if he collects them? 

Real easy to say give it back to the hunter that shot it without knowing the entire story and for the most part I agree but it is hard to judge without all the facts.

• Like 2

I believe he has to tag it.

Damn! I hope not. I have shelves full of racks, antlers, pieces of antlers, animal skulls, etc. that I have been collecting for decades since I was a kid, and there are no tags for any of them. These are just little oddities and items of interest that I pick up whenever I find them in the woods. No tag or licenses ever involved. I know I have seen threads on this site, and other forums about guys that collect sheds, with some even having trained dogs for such activities, and I am sure none of them ever have tagged any of them. It is a bona fide collection activity that a lot of people engage in. Tags for antlers? Not that I'm aware of. The fact is that I have whole wall mounts that I would never be able to find tags for.

• Like 2

I'm sure there's more to the whole story than what we were told, you're only going to hear what the person wants you to know. The kid that shot the deer may be the neighborhood poacher, maybe he trespassed onto the guys property that found it without asking, maybe he wounds 4 deer every year, maybe he's a great kid who wounded a deer and though looking to the best of his abilities couldn't locate it. Who knows for sure and we won't know. Any one of the above factors could change my opinion if I were the one who found said antlers...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

In all likelihood, if I'd found them, I would have handed the antlers over to the guy who claimed he shot the deer, provided I believed he was telling the truth, it means more to him than it would to me. But I would have probably taken his money. :D  Just curious, is there some sort of cash value associated with a set of antlers like this?

A side note ,what kind of lazy sack of crap just cuts the skull plate off such a monster like that.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what should he have done with it?

I have several shoulder mounts in my house which started with the less skull between the antlers than I can see in that picture.  All of my European mounts each started just like that as well.  Many taxidermists use a ceramic skull for the European mounts, unless they send them away to someone who has beetles to clean the skull.  I have tried to keep the original skull before, but I now do my own with the replicated skulls as well.  They don't damage easily and last forever.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but most things you can do to display that impressive rack start with cutting the skull plate just like he did.  In fact he did well to leave more than necessary so that the guy who finishes it has more than enough to use.  I do a few European or shoulder mounts for friends each year, and nothing is worse than getting a tiny skull plate or a cape that's too short or the face is butchered.

I also agree that the shooter doesn't have a right to those antlers, but I still understand why he'd like them.  I can also understand why the guy who found them would prefer to keep them.  I love collecting antlers, whether they are sheds or on a skull (preferably on a buck that I harvest).  I have a huge 9 point on the wall that I found in the Midwest while hunting, but I didn't kill him and we guessed he had been dead for a couple weeks.  The landowner said that I could keep the rack, as long as I did something to display them properly.  I was glad to oblige him on that.  I don't tell anyone that I killed it, and I don't brag about it either.  I just think that whitetails are the most beautiful creatures on this earth and I love to look at them...especially on a wall or desk.  I personally wouldn't buy antlers (and some do), but if I find them or harvest them I like to do something with them.  If I found those antlers a few weeks after someone said they shot it, I am sorry but I'd consider them mine.  If it was a neighbor or a friend, then that would be different.  I would also be fine if someone decided to keep a rack that I wasn't able to find after trailing it, as long as I had the opportunity to search for it.  If I could not find it and someone else did, that is just how it goes I guess.  Disappointed sure, but not angry.

Edited by Death From Above

I'm sure there's more to the whole story than what we were told, you're only going to hear what the person wants you to know.

First thing I thought of if it were me tracking a deer for 1+mi, would have certainly gone across several properties I had no permission to be on. Maybe that's not the case here though!?!

Just curious, is there some sort of cash value associated with a set of antlers like this?

Check eBay! Lots of moose, elk, deer racks for sale. Still not sure why anyone would want to display a rack from an animal they hadn't killed.......?

Check eBay! Lots of moose, elk, deer racks for sale. Still not sure why anyone would want to display a rack from an animal they hadn't killed.......?

Because they are nice to look at and it's neat when you do find one. I do a fair amount of shed hunting/scouting/hiking and am always on the lookout for antlers. I have a bunch of buck skulls that I've found over the years and I keep every one I find so I guess you could say I collect them. I also have several hanging on display on the side of my garage, in my garage and enjoy having them. Last year I found a 115" and boiled it down to hang. My largest is in the mid 130's. Like a picture or any type of art, antlers are nice to look at for some.

Edited by genesee_mohican
  • Like 1

Lets not forget there's alot more to a deer than its antlers... no matter how impressive they are.  The buck was lost, and the meat was wasted.  Like was said before, I wouldnt want the constant reminder of my mistake hanging on my wall.  If 3 weeks had passed...  the guy who found it pretty much found a beautiful pair of sheds, absolutly should keep them.

• Like 2

Lets not forget there's alot more to a deer than its antlers... no matter how impressive they are.  The buck was lost, and the meat was wasted.  Like was said before, I wouldnt want the constant reminder of my mistake hanging on my wall.  If 3 weeks had passed...  the guy who found it pretty much found a beautiful pair of sheds, absolutly should keep them.

Not according to the whiner and his hunting friend, sounds like he only cares about the rack

Damn! I hope not. I have shelves full of racks, antlers, pieces of antlers, animal skulls, etc. that I have been collecting for decades since I was a kid, and there are no tags for any of them. These are just little oddities and items of interest that I pick up whenever I find them in the woods. No tag or licenses ever involved. I know I have seen threads on this site, and other forums about guys that collect sheds, with some even having trained dogs for such activities, and I am sure none of them ever have tagged any of them. It is a bona fide collection activity that a lot of people engage in. Tags for antlers? Not that I'm aware of. The fact is that I have whole wall mounts that I would never be able to find tags for.

you're not required to keep your tags with your mounts anyhow. just with the meat as far as I understand.

• Like 2

So all of you saying you would give him the rack do you do that with people that have trail cam pictures of drops you have found? I would have kept it more because the deer suffered for so long by a badly placed shot. Could have been a number of different reasons why the shot went bad but either way the guy didn't find it.

What exactly would entitle someone to a deer I found dead on my property? No one owns the deer to the victor go the spoils. Let me add I wouldn't expect a person to give me a rack because I made a bad shot on a deer. Would I want a picture with it to remind me of the one I screwed up on? Of course, but wouldn't expect someone to give up the rack.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 4

I'd have zero interest in hanging on to antlers that I didn't harvest myself. Can't say I would just toss them, they'd find a spot in the garage... but if another hunter presented some good evidence they were his? They'd be his for free.

what possible evidence could someone have to prove that he's entitled to antlers that were found attached to a deer that has been laying in the woods rotting for 3-4 weeks?......?

I shot the biggest buck of my life...immediately called deer search....they came out that afternoon in the rain we searched my calling all the land owners for permission...they believe we were on a live deer ..backed out at dusk and they came back the next morning..in the rain...seached hours and came up with a dead end that circled back to a particular property...One year later I found out where that buck ended up...another neighbor told me I should talk to another land owner(non residenton property but local) neighbor...I checked around..yep I know where he went now and was dead when found and knew we were searching...Oh well...I won't give the satisfaction letting him know I know...but you can bet a dollar I have let everyone around here know the the story behind it...My loss for not getting a dropping shot...

I shot the biggest buck of my life...immediately called deer search....they came out that afternoon in the rain we searched my calling all the land owners for permission...they believe we were on a live deer ..backed out at dusk and they came back the next morning..in the rain...seached hours and came up with a dead end that circled back to a particular property...One year later I found out where that buck ended up...another neighbor told me I should talk to another land owner(non residenton property but local) neighbor...I checked around..yep I know where he went now and was dead when found and knew we were searching...Oh well...I won't give the satisfaction letting him know I know...but you can bet a dollar I have let everyone around here know the the story behind it...My loss for not getting a dropping shot...

someone who takes a deer that they know someone is actively searching for is a totally different story as far as I'm concerned..........that's a sh**ty move in my book.

• Like 3

Yep and it's happened here 3 times & not only to me but others around here...twice when I went to get permission years ago before cells...that won't happen again...and why shots, when you see my kills, they are shoulder or heart/lung...but shoulder drops them.

That buck was a lessoned learned and a 100.00 donation to deer search.

In all likelihood, if I'd found them, I would have handed the antlers over to the guy who claimed he shot the deer, provided I believed he was telling the truth, it means more to him than it would to me. But I would have probably taken his money. :D  Just curious, is there some sort of cash value associated with a set of antlers like this?

Sorry as this is a bit off topic, but this is a bit of a grey area in NY, especially concerning detached antlers or deadheads.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/legal_protection_pdf/11_01.pdf

It is unlawful to sell deer or bear flesh. Other than flesh, the parts from legally taken and reported deer and bear may be sold only if tagged prior to sale. Tag shall be provided by the hunter or the buyer and include the hunter's license number, date of birth, signature, printed name and the town and county location of kill.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

It also warrants mentioning that state laws vary. In some states it is quite illegal to sell antlers, even found sheds. Pennsylvania is one of those states. Harvested or found antlers originating from PA may not be sold in any way. I think Maryland is the same but I haven't looked the laws up in a while.

I'm sure there's more to the whole story than what we were told, you're only going to hear what the person wants you to know. The kid that shot the deer may be the neighborhood poacher, maybe he trespassed onto the guys property that found it without asking, maybe he wounds 4 deer every year, maybe he's a great kid who wounded a deer and though looking to the best of his abilities couldn't locate it. Who knows for sure and we won't know. Any one of the above factors could change my opinion if I were the one who found said antlers...

Gotta be honest, reading the OP one of the first things that popped into my thoughts was "wonder how many parcels he didn't have permission to be on in that 1.3 miles." 

• Like 4

Gotta be honest, reading the OP one of the first things that popped into my thoughts was "wonder how many parcels he didn't have permission to be on in that 1.3 miles."

I thought the same thing. Its rare to be able to walk over a mile and not cross several different properties in the process. Looks to be like the friend just wanted to try some public shaming on the guy that found the buck as the OP hasn't responded to any comments...

As far as the original post goes, its a bummer to lose a deer, but put yourself in the person who found it's shoes. You find a dead buck, take the rack and now some guy comes to you claiming they shot it, and wants the rack. If it was me, Id be happy to give it to that person if they could provide some actual proof that they shot the deer. Otherwise, its not gonna happen.

• Like 2

what possible evidence could someone have to prove that he's entitled to antlers that were found attached to a deer that has been laying in the woods rotting for 3-4 weeks?......?

never used the word entitled. but again, if he shot it, has some trail cam photos and his story checks out then I dont have an issue giving to them. I'm certainly not mounting them, so why am I keeping them?

Edited by Belo